Buttercream Icing Shelf Life??????

Decorating By curiegas Updated 31 Mar 2007 , 4:18pm by pasquerto

curiegas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
curiegas Posted 4 Jan 2005 , 10:11pm
post #1 of 8

I am trying to make my first cupcake cake. I am using the buttercream transfer that Cali4Dawn posted instructions in the articles section. I made the buttercream frosting that she recommended but I have a question on how to store it or if i need to use it right away.

I know there have been some posts that say it can be stored for days or weeks, depending on which recipe you use.

If anyone has used Cali4Dawn's recipe, can you please let me know how long it can be stored and how it should be stored?

Thanks,
Cecilia

7 replies
GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 4 Jan 2005 , 10:23pm
post #2 of 8

It lasts forever plus 3 days--- really! Well, almost.

I provide 2 different recipes. But both will last the same amount of time. Store in an airtight container. I have containers just for icing so the icing doesn't pick up other left-over smells. I use the Glad containers.

Store in a cool non-refrigerated place (no warmer than 65 F) for a couple of weeks. Store in the fridge for at least a month or two. I've never seen it go bad. But the longest I've saved it before using it all is 2 months.

You can also freeze it for months.

So, how do you like recipe?

curiegas Posted 4 Jan 2005 , 10:45pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks for the quick response. I love the recipe. My testers(kids) loved the taste. I will try to post a picture of the cake in the next week or so.

Cecilia

Cakeasyoulikeit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeasyoulikeit Posted 5 Jan 2005 , 4:22pm
post #4 of 8

Hey Cali,

I would be interested in your 2 buttercream recipes. Could you email them to me? [email protected]? thanks!

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 5 Jan 2005 , 7:05pm
post #5 of 8

Consider it done!! For everyone else, here are the recipes:

I do want to point out the first recipe was given to me when I was looking for a great chocolate icing recipe. I did create it.

They are both super simple. I use the first one for the majority of decorating (it's much less greasy and much more creamy on your tongue. However, it is a but soft for roses and other flowers that really need to hold their shape. So I modified it for that type of decorating. I use the first version for BCTs.

Original recipe:

1-1/2 cups or 3 sticks butter- soft
1 cup shortening
2 T flavoring (I use butter because thats what I like)
2 pounds powdered sugar

Modified version:

1/2 cup or 1 sticks butter- soft
2 cups shortening
2 T flavoring (your choice- I use butter flavoring to make up for the lost real butter)
2 pounds powdered sugar

curiegas Posted 5 Jan 2005 , 11:51pm
post #6 of 8

What do I need to add to the buttercream icing recipe to make it Chocolate Buttercream?

Cecilia

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 6 Jan 2005 , 12:07am
post #7 of 8

The recipe I was given (which is totally fantastic) was to take this BC recipe and add one batch of ganache. Talk about heaven!!

The ganache recipe for this icing I use is:

12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
12 ounces whipping cream
1 T butter

After it cools to room temperature and still pourable, add it to the buttercream. Mix until well blended.

pasquerto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pasquerto Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 4:18pm
post #8 of 8

yummmm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%