Working Through The Pain.....

Decorating By procrastibaker Updated 6 Jul 2007 , 7:01pm by Antylucifer

procrastibaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
procrastibaker Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 5

i was recently told that i have carpel tunnel syndrome. On top of decorating cakes, I work full-time in an accounting office. i use the decorating gloves while doing cakes. Is there anything else that I can do to help ease the pain? icon_sad.gif

4 replies
SugarplumStudio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarplumStudio Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 11:44pm
post #2 of 5

Stretches are the only thing that help for me. Every morning when I get up and every evening before I go to sleep.

I make a loose fist then extend each finger one at a time until my hand is open, kind of like unfurling a flag ( if that makes sense). Then I reverse it, back into the loose fist. I do about 10 on each hand 2 X a day and a couple times during the day if I'm particularly sore.

The most important thing...if it hurts...stop what you are doing and take a break. Pain is your body saying..."something isn't right..I need a break!". Sometimes that means an extra hour with a wedding cake, but I need to be able to hold my keys to deliver it when I'm finished! icon_smile.gif

HTH

chqtpi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chqtpi Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 11:54pm
post #3 of 5

I agree with SugarPlum...I don't have carpal tunnel...I have tendonitis...(my fingers twitch sometimes for NO reason---string work is a hoot! icon_smile.gif

Those exercises work too, but I find a few others helpful as well

#1 Hold your hand out with your palm facing up and with your other hand press down on your finger tips one at a time (so they are heading toward the floor) just until they start to stretch a little..

#2 I also twist my hand so my palm is facing away from me--once clockwise and the other counterclockwise--that helps as well

#3 If its particularly bad--I also heat up some white rice (so it is a dry heat) and place it in a tupperware tub and put my hands in that and open and close them slowly...the heat helps my muscles relax and I find it more effective than a heating pad...

Maybe you could call your primary care giver or a local Physical Therapist and see if they have any other helpful ideas!

HTH

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 12:02am
post #4 of 5

I have the same problem with pain and here are the exercises I do http://www.carpaltunnelexercises.net/. HTH

Antylucifer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Antylucifer Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 7:01pm
post #5 of 5

I too have the same problem and it is especially bad while using the 10 key. You know the irratating Head On commercials that drive everyone out of their minds? Well that stuff works miracles for my carpal tunnel and arthritis. I don't use it if I'm going to cook or anything, I'm afraid it might accidently get into some food product. Other than that, I use it all the time-it sounds silly but it does work.

Another thing I use, espceiall for keyboarding is the following:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000PE55MO?ie=UTF8&condition=new&tag=dealtime-hpc-mp-20&creative=380345&creativeASIN=B000PE55MO&linkCode=asm

I like these because the adjustable ones never seemed to stay in place. I bought several because they do get dirty, but are washable. Whatever you try, I wish you good luck, it's a painful condition to have and I hope you get some relief.
Gail

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%