How Popular Is The Cake Ruffle Anymore?

Decorating By indydebi Updated 7 Jul 2007 , 3:56am by CelebrationsbyLori

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 6:37pm
post #1 of 10

I was a guest at a wedding recently. It was an older couple and the cake had a slightly old-fashioned "Traditional" look. What I noticed is that it had the plastic cake ruffle around the base of each each tier. I haven't seen those used in I don't know how long and was curious if any of you see these as still being popular or are they dropping out of sight? I mentioned it to a friend of mine and she said she sees the traditional bakeries using them a lot.

I haven't used them on a cake in 20 years. What are your observations?

Just curious.....

9 replies
mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 6:51pm
post #2 of 10

I don't think they're really popular. Sometimes you see them on grocery store wedding cakes around us.
I personally don't like them, I'm not a ruffly person and I think they look fussy.

adawndria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adawndria Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 7:56pm
post #3 of 10

I think Wilton still sells a ruffle product...

peytonsmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peytonsmommy Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 8:22pm
post #4 of 10

I can say that in the past six years since my own wedding, I have never been to a wedding that had a cake w/ a ruffle. All of my mom's cousins had them on their cakes in the mid-late '90s and I think after that they started fading out. Same w/ the big elaborate stairway cakes I think. The baker commented to me when I had my wedding cake done that it had been awhile since she had done a stairway cake. I grew up looking through my mom's Wilton books though and I just HAD to have the stairways and the fountain lol.

blessBeckysbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessBeckysbaking Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 12:02pm
post #5 of 10

i have some got when i was taking my 1st class and never seen it on a cake and never been asked for it heck I don't enve know where i have it put up at

jenndga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenndga Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 6:48pm
post #6 of 10

Those cake ruffles remind me of cut up shower curtain liners... I haven't seen one on a cake in real life ever.... and I wouldn't use one unless someone made me!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 8:34pm
post #7 of 10

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif shower curtains! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 10:58pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by adawndria

I think Wilton still sells a ruffle product...

(which I think is the first clue about not using it . . . lol)

chocolateandpeanutbutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolateandpeanutbutter Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 11:12pm
post #9 of 10

The first pictures of wedding cakes that I can remember had those ruffly things around the bottom, and they all had those plastic or sugar bells, too, and the little plastic doves and cherubs! I remember my mom doing all those wedding cakes, and they were all fruitcake, covered in royal icing, with loads and loads of stringwork. Thank goodness my mom's fruitcake is so delicious. Who would want to eat a cake covered in royal icing? But, that's what they wanted, and that's what they did.

I'm definitely glad things have changed!

CelebrationsbyLori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationsbyLori Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 3:56am
post #10 of 10

Oh yeah! My grandma never did a wedding cake without tuk 'n' ruffle around the bottom. As far as using it on the upper tiers that has always been tacky! It's really "old school" and I still use it once in a very great while. Mostly on anniversary cakes, because that's what the older ladies like, so I like to make them happy! I go through a box of it about every year and a half or so.
-Lori

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%