Cake Dummy

Decorating By zenu Updated 9 Jul 2007 , 12:19am by Sugarbean

zenu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zenu Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 3:49pm
post #1 of 11

I've been searching on CC for information on cake dummies but I've only come across using them for wedding cakes. My question is: can you use a cake dummy just to practice techniques? If so, any suggestions? I really want to practice continually- I don't sell cakes yet! And, believe it or not, I'm running out of people to give my practice cakes to! Everyone wants to diet! Thanks.

10 replies
miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 4:05pm
post #2 of 11

You can use styrofoam dummies to practice techniques. For covering with fondant, it is a little different than using a cake. The edges are a lot sharper and it is a firmer base than cake. If it's for piping, you can also do them on parchment or wax paper.

zenu Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 4:20pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks! I guess I'll stick with the wax paper instead of purchasing a dummy. I really want to work on piping. Thanks again!

peytonsmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peytonsmommy Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 6:06pm
post #4 of 11

I'm expecting my cake dummies from dallas foam sometime this week and i'm taking three or four days off work, sending the kiddo to the sitter's half day and i'm going to try and see how many different dummy wedding cakes I can turn out in that time. Not only is it good practice, but then I have pictures for my portfolio which i'm just starting to build.

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 6:10pm
post #5 of 11

easy and cheap way to practice piping: turn your cake pans upside down and pipe on them. its good because you can practice having to pipe on a vertical surface instead of a flat paper, which is much harder. just wipe them off and do it again and again! i did this all the time until i bought some dummies for display cakes.

zenu Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 10:57pm
post #6 of 11

I love both ideas! Thanks.

Peytonsmommy: What are you going to do with the dummies once you've taken pictures? I like your idea- I hadn't thought about using dummies for a portfolio- I've just been taking pictures and keeping them in a mini album and on my computer as well.

zenu Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 10:58pm
post #7 of 11

Peytonsmommy: are you going to use fondant or just buttercream. I'm really getting excited about this method!

brwntab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brwntab Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 11:18pm
post #8 of 11

Hello to all of my fellow CC members? I have a question, will the fondant dry hard on the dummies or will there be another method that I have to use to save the dummies for display?

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 1:43am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by brwntab

Hello to all of my fellow CC members? I have a question, will the fondant dry hard on the dummies or will there be another method that I have to use to save the dummies for display?

Fondant will dry hard on the styrofoam dummies.

brwntab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brwntab Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 12:11am
post #10 of 11

Thank you Miriel so much.

Sugarbean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbean Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 12:19am
post #11 of 11

I use dummies a lot. The fondant will dry hard so you can keep them. But you can also just soak them over night in h2o when you want to use them again. The h2o makes the fondant "disappear" then you can re-cover them and make a whole new design.

I've also heard you can put a dummy in the dishwasher and it will come out clean again!

icon_smile.gif At least with covering a dummy you can use it in your portfolio!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%