Animal Sculpting Tutorial???? Desperate 4 Ideas!!!!

Decorating By noosie Updated 5 Jul 2007 , 4:53pm by fooby

noosie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noosie Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 2:35pm
post #1 of 12

About a week ago I posted about ideas for a skunk cake. I appreciate the responses I did receive but have yet to find a design I feel comfortable in being able to do. I think my best bet may be a skunk laying on his stomach with his tail wrapped around toward the front. Does anyone know or have a link to a tutorial that will give me the basic shapes I will need to carve for a cat, raccoon etc... which I in turn can modify into a skunk? I am still unsure if I should go with a realistic look or something like Pepe Le Pew. This cake needs to feed about 50 people. Any help will be greatly appreciated. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

TIA

P.S. - Can anyone also reccomend a site to purchase Black Fondant at a reasonable price??? I'm not even going to attempt to color that much fondant black. thumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gif

11 replies
noosie Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 3:49pm
post #2 of 12

Anyone, please??? Should I cover in fondant or use grass tip for fur? Sorry don't mean to be pest but totally stumped as to where to begin.

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 3:58pm
post #3 of 12

I have never made a skunk cake so please by no means take my word as being the correct word! But I personally think that it would be better to use the grass tip because it would make it look more like fur and then you can use the fondant for accents. Just an idea! Good luck!

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 4:06pm
post #4 of 12

I would also go with the grass tip - I think that looks so cute when doing animals. I would suggest though that you put a good coat of buttercream on first. I have found in the past when i use the grass tip all over it tends to dry out and just kind of break off when cutting and if there is not a coat of buttercream already - then there is not much icing left on the cake. Hope that helps some. Not really sure about the whole carving thing - I have not done much carving in my time

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 4:08pm
post #6 of 12

I would probably cover in fondant and carve little strokes in it with a veiner. They have such short hair...

noosie Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 4:11pm
post #7 of 12

Thank you all!!! Keep it coming the wheels are starting to turn.....

DecoratorJen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecoratorJen Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 4:36pm
post #8 of 12

I would like to recommend a book on Cake Sculpting! It is simply called CAKE SCULPTING by Ronald A. Winbeckler. It is my most favorite book on Cake Decorating! Happy Decorating! icon_smile.gif

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 4:43pm
post #9 of 12

I'd use the Wilton stand-up bear pan and then make a pound cake in a loaf pan, carve the tail out of that and attach it with icing and straws for stability. After using a 244 grass tip as fur on a large piece I went out and bought a 344, it a bigger version and covers more area.

I'd use this guy for inspiration especially the tail and top knot.
LL

noosie Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 4:47pm
post #10 of 12

Thanks Kayakado for the advice. Unfortunately the pic does not come up when I click on the link. If you have a moment can you try e-mailing it to me at [email protected]. Many thanks... icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

noosie Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 4:47pm
post #11 of 12

oops, I just refreshed and picture came up! Thanks kayakado!!!

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 4:53pm
post #12 of 12

You can buy black Satin Ice fondant from www.intotheoven.com. Here's a link http://www.intotheoven.com/p759/2-lb.-Black-Fondant-by-Satin-Ice/product_info.html. Their prices are very reasonable. HTH.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%