Recipe For Sheet Cakes? Made In A Jelly Roll Pan?

Baking By serandib Updated 7 Jul 2007 , 5:37am by danilis

serandib Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
serandib Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 2:44am
post #1 of 5

Hi there,
I'm getting ready to make my DS his bday cake. Anyway I need to serve about 20 people and would like to make a sheet cake. I figured I could use my jelly roll pans and make 2 cakes in them and then layer them. But I can't find any recipes to do something like this!

Am I off base? Does anyone have a recipe to do this?

4 replies
fuzzykoala22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fuzzykoala22 Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 2:58am
post #2 of 5

I haven't tried this recipe yet, but I saw the Barefoot Contessa make it the other day on tv. It's made in a 12 x 18 jelly roll pan, and it baked up nice and full, flat top too. Of course, that's tv! Here's a link:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_34631,00.html

danilis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danilis Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 3:03am
post #3 of 5

I do this all the time and find that most cake recipes (mixes and box) work fine. For a deeper cake, I make 3 jellyroll cakes. I like the look and I love the filling.

serandib Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
serandib Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 3:35pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by danilis

I do this all the time and find that most cake recipes (mixes and box) work fine. For a deeper cake, I make 3 jellyroll cakes. I like the look and I love the filling.

Cool - so it turns out okay? How hard is it to turn the cake out?
If you use a box mix - do you split a mix between two pans or one mix per pan?

My other option is to order a heat core and a wilton 12x18 pan from amazon today - with my prime shipping it would be here in time. But if I can do the jellyroll I would rather save my $$ for now and buy the pans later.

What do you think - should I attempt a jellyroll pan to bake layers of cake or should I just order the pan from amazon.

danilis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danilis Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 5:37am
post #5 of 5

When I use a box mix, its one box per pan. I have never had an overflow yet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%