I'm So Proud Of Myself...yeah!

Decorating By Sweetpeeps Updated 26 Aug 2006 , 12:28am by Sweetpeeps

Sweetpeeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetpeeps Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 11

I did my first cake 1/2 and 1/2 cake today. WOOHOO. I know this is a silly thing to be excited about but, I get excited easy. It was a piece of cake. ha. I did the aluminum trick down the middle and it worked great. It's in the oven baking. Now, my question.......How do I get that huge cake out onto a cooling rack? It's a 16" sqaure. Here is my guess. I have two of the pampered chef cooling racks. Shall I put both on top and some how flip it over and let it cool on both? I'm just a tad nervous about this one. Someone let me know, withing 20 minutes ...please. icon_smile.gif

10 replies
Cake_Geek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Geek Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 6:36pm
post #2 of 11

Can't say I've ever flipped a cake onto a cooling rack! I let it cook in the pan like 10-15 mins (sometimes longer) then flip onto a board or cookie sheet lined with parchment.

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 6:45pm
post #3 of 11

Ditto for me. I place my ready cake board on top of the cake, make sure it is positioned correctly then flip. Works great for me.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 6:45pm
post #4 of 11

I have a few large cooling racks (they are 20x25, give or take). I place one over the cake while it's still in the pan, (I've already done any leveling while it's still in the pan to assure it's flat), then flip it out onto the cooling rack. Since I want the cake to sit on it's actual bottom, I take another cooling rack, place it on top of the cake and flip it from one rack to the other.

Sweetpeeps Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 6:47pm
post #5 of 11

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 6:48pm
post #6 of 11

If you think you can get both racks together and the cake on it, that sounds fine. Cooling racks are the best way to go! Good luck flipping that one out!

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 6:55pm
post #7 of 11

what's the aluminum foil trick?

Princess3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Princess3 Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 7:43pm
post #8 of 11

I want to know to. I have always been curious about it too!!

Sweetpeeps Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 9:47pm
post #9 of 11

You take aluminum foil and fold it into a strip a little bit longer than the width of your pan. Fold the end at 90 degree angles, this just helps it stand up better for me. Put it in your pan in the middle. Pore half of the one cake batter on the one side while holding the aluminum foil and then quickly poor the other batter on the other side. Pore the rest of the first batter on the first side. Even out both side with your spatula or whatever you use. Then pull out the foil and bake. It just acts as a divider. It was really easy.

Aztec9206 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aztec9206 Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 10:12pm
post #10 of 11

Hi Sweetpeeps

For future reference if you should ever have to flip 2 indiviual half sheets at one time onto a cake board.

I have both half sheet cakes sitting on cooling rack or boards, for me it's easier with boards. I push 1 half sheet cake all the way to the right edge of the board and I push the other half sheet cake to the left edge of the board, I put the 2 cakes and boards edge to edge, right edge to left edge so it looks like 1 full sheet cake. Now slide a full sheet cake board underneath the 2 side by side half sheets so you have them both sitting on the full cake board. Now place the cake board you are going to sit your cakes on top. Now take a deep breath put one hand underneath the bottom full sheet cake board and put your other hand on the top full sheet cake board (it's look like a full cake board sandwich), breathe make sure no one is watching so they don't make you nervous. Now flip. Hopefully you didn't lose any cake. I've had to make alot of half and half Full sheet cakes lately...it's easy for me to flip them both this way even when they are double layer half sheets with filling....My mom still panic's when I do this though....

Keep on baking.....

Cindy

Sweetpeeps Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 12:28am
post #11 of 11

Thanks Cindy!!!! I'm glad I have all my forum post saved so I can go back and look when I need it!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%