Gum Tex/gum Paste

Decorating By Kate714 Updated 5 Sep 2006 , 3:12pm by mug

Kate714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kate714 Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 4:04pm
post #1 of 20

I would like to practice making baby booties, but I've never used gum tex or gum paste before. I know some people have suggested adding gum text to fondant. Is that easier to work with than using the gum paste recipe on the Wilton can of gum tex??? Which do you recommend for a newbie?!?

thanks!

19 replies
prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 4:07pm
post #2 of 20

It works well even with plain Marshmallow Fondant..as long as you let it dry completely. icon_smile.gif

nenufares Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nenufares Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 4:14pm
post #3 of 20

I love working with wilton's gumpaste. If this is the first time for you, I'll suggest to buy the ready to use one. Gumpaste will dry hard faster than fondant. While working with gumpaste, cut your pieces and cover them with some plastic wrap until ready to use or they will dry.
Store your leftover gumpaste in plastic wrap and then in a plastic bag (take the air out).
If you are using fondant (wilton's, homemade, mmf, etc) put a little bit of gumtex to accelerate the drying process. Put 1 teaspoon for each 12 oz of fondant (thats like about a big grapefruit).
Here is a tutorial for baby boots:

http://community.webshots.com/album/283308759UqOctN

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 4:18pm
post #4 of 20

actually I have the cutters for this..it comes in three parts.
It's good quality plastic. If your not in a rush, Fondant would also do well. icon_smile.gif

Kate714 Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 4:47pm
post #5 of 20

I have a batch of fondant already made, but I figured I can't add the gum tex to that now. Can I really make them with just fondant? They will just take longer to dry? I just don't have any plans for this fondant and would hate to waste it.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 5:34pm
post #6 of 20

Go ahead and add the Gum Tex to the fondant--you just knead the powder in the same way you would PS. It works great. Add about 1tsp. gum tex to 12 oz. of fondant.

If you don't add the gum tex, the stand up parts of the booties may wilt in the heat or humidity. Without the gum-tex, the fondant may feel dry on the outside, but on the thicker parts it will stay damp for a long time.

Rae

Kate714 Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 7:04pm
post #7 of 20

okay, will do! we'll see how it goes...!!

Kate714 Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 8:26pm
post #8 of 20

okay, I attempted it, using that webshots tutorial icon_rolleyes.gif I just needed a little gumtex into my fondant.

We'll see how it dries.

How do you all cut shapes out of fondant? With what tool? I was thinking a pizza cutter would work great, but the curves are too small. I guess I need a really tiny pizza cutter...is there something like that available?

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 8:34pm
post #9 of 20

Kate-get yourself and exacto knife from the craft or hobby dept at Walmart. It's extremely sharp and very precise.

Kate714 Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 8:44pm
post #10 of 20

ahhh yes! duh. that's what I was thinking...just couldn't place it.
thanks!

BlakesCakes Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 8:47pm
post #11 of 20

PME makes a plastic wheel cutter that has two different sized wheels on it--that's my preferred tool for small curves. You may be able to find it on the web.

Here's a link to a photo, but the site is in the UK. I got mine last year and I don't remember where I ordered them--sorry.

http://almondart.com/acatalog/info_CW426.html

Rae

Kate714 Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 2:23am
post #12 of 20

that is what I need! thanks.

Sweetpeeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetpeeps Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 5:36am
post #13 of 20

Wilton also makes a little mini pizza cutter tool just for fondant. It also comes with two other wheels. One is zig zag and the other one is.....well, I forget. I have it but, an exacto knife does seem like it would work just as well. You would have to be careful not to cut up your work station or mats though.

Kate714 Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 11:52am
post #14 of 20

good point. maybe I could put my sewing mat thingie that I use when I'm cutting with a rotary cutter under it. thanks.

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 1:39pm
post #15 of 20

Sorry if this is a bit off of the original topic, but is Gum Tex or Gum Paste edible? icon_confused.gif

Kate714 Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 7:01pm
post #16 of 20

yes, as far as I know.

BlakesCakes Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 7:19pm
post #17 of 20

Gum paste is edible--doesn't taste very good, though. Gum Tex is an edible ingredient that can be added to fondant or gum paste to help it dry faster and harder.

RAe

mug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mug Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 4:37am
post #18 of 20

I just started working with gumpaste today -- trying to practice a bit before I use it on a cake in two weeks.

Question -- I ended up with a little "practice" figurine that I'm pretty happy with, I know I can use this in two weeks but how do I store it until then to keep it looking it's best?

BlakesCakes Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 11:33am
post #19 of 20

Since it will take a bit of time to dry thoroughly, I would just sit it out in a relatively cool (under 80 degrees), clean, dry place that doesn't have direct sunlight--I tend to store mine in old cardboard cake boxes on a piece of foam or parchment. Until it is bone dryall the way through, it shouldn't be stored covered or sealed.

Once dry, delicate items can be wrapped in toilet paper to prevent damage.

Rae

mug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mug Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 3:12pm
post #20 of 20

I let my little practice figurines air dry -- they are drying with a dull, cracking finish...what am I doing wrong? Was my gumpaste too dry? I didn't add gumtex, will that help?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%