Cake Transportation Help!

Decorating By diamondsmom Updated 25 Aug 2006 , 2:51pm by goal4me

diamondsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsmom Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 1:32pm
post #1 of 9

Hi CC

It's my first cake order a babyshower cake for tomorrow, and disaster strickes already. MY ONE AND ONLY OVEN DOESNT WANT TO LIGHT! icon_cry.gif

My son's nanny said I can come over and use hers tonight. so i'm a little bit relieved. Anyway she lives about 35 minutes away. My question is:

when i bake the cake at her house how do i transport it home.
Do I wait for it to cool completely?
what do i wrap it in?

I was plannign on putting it on the cake board one time instead of placing it back int hte pan Is that a good idea?

help me totally cluless icon_cry.gif

8 replies
dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 1:42pm
post #2 of 9

You don't have to let it cool completely but if it's still warm be very careful with it so you don't crack/break it. If it were me I'd let it cool about an hour others will tell you they wrap them up as soon as they come out of the oven but I have never done that so I can't tell you how that works. I wrap my cakes in plastic wrap overnight. So you can just wrap it up and stick it in the cake box. I'd leave the lid open and take it out of the box once you get home. I always wait to put mine on the cake board until I'mready to do the cake. I like to give my cake breathing room so tospeak while they cool! icon_lol.gif

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 1:44pm
post #3 of 9

What size/shape is it ? If you decide to bring it home in the pan, let it cool outside the pan first like you would if you were at home. If you are putting it on the cake board, make sure you put a dab of frosting on the board to keep the cake from sliding. It shouldn't be too much different than transporting any other cake - make sure it's on a level surface and won't slide around.

diamondsmom Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 1:53pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks soooo much. it is a 12 x 12 inch square. I have saran wrap well i guess it's the same as plastic wrap icon_rolleyes.gif can i wrap it in that.

Do I put foil over the wrap or is it ok to stay like that?

thanks a million

BakeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeQueen Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 2:01pm
post #5 of 9

I would also let it cool, wrap and transport. FYI. I use the non skid shelf liner you find in Walmart to line the trunk of my car with. It keeps the cakes from sliding around during travel.

diamondsmom Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 2:05pm
post #6 of 9

well well. My DH has the car upstate gone on fishing trip with our son and some other dads and their sons. what fish can you catch with a 2 year old lol icon_lol.gif

So i have to take the bus icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif . lord help me!!

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 2:06pm
post #7 of 9

plastic, saran all birds of the same feather! No foil over the wrap needed but just to get it home I would put it in a box or on something sturdy so you aren't having to lift the cake itself up out of the car.

BakeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeQueen Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 2:42pm
post #8 of 9

You're doing a 12x12 square? I saw in one of the threads where cakes were transported in Rubbermaid type containers. I did a 12x12 square last week and didn't have a cake box so I stopped in Walmart and purchased a large plastic box for $3.47, flipped it upside down for a cake box. Then you just have the customer return it. I worked great!

goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 2:51pm
post #9 of 9

I read a post here that advised stabilizing the base during transport with using an aluminum cookie sheet, rubber non skid from Walmart or Big Lots or the Dollar store on top of that and then the wrapped cake in a bakery box or plastic rigid box from Walmart should be fine also...take it slow.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%