Frozen Buttercream Transfer

Decorating By Sweetpeeps Updated 25 Aug 2006 , 2:55pm by goal4me

Sweetpeeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetpeeps Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 1:11pm
post #1 of 6

I'm having trouble with the fbct being smooth. On the top of my cake there are little imperfections. It's almost like airpockets. I rolled my fondant roller on both sides of it while it was frozen. What am I doing wrong? Please help. This is the second one I've done and they both had this. I can't get it to attach. You can look at in my gallery.

5 replies
stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 1:41pm
post #2 of 6

Use a Viva paper towel to smooth out.

When I do my transfers, I always freeze after the final coating and then take it out and place some wax paper over the back and then flip it over. I then remove the front paper carefully. I leave it out to thraw and crust over. Take the Viva towel and smooth it out; cover with wax paper and refreeze.

If I am doing it a couple of day before using, I place the transfer between to board covers and place in the huge 2.5 gallon storage bag and place in freezer.

Hope this helps you some thumbs_up.gif

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 2:04pm
post #3 of 6

I think it is the nature of the FBCT to have at least a few of the the wormy lines. sometimes I will smoosh the icing down a bit with my finger into the smaller areas and before putting the final coat of icing on the back I have been taking a paper towel and using my fondant smoother to 'iron' the back and kind of push down on it to smoosh it all in. I am getting better, but I havent had one "perfect" yet. You can see mine in the gallery..the tractor (my first one...the most wormy lines) then the hibiscus (fewer lines) and then the little winnie the pooh smash cake (still a few....)

Sweetpeeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetpeeps Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 2:31pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you both. Great idea about the paper towel. Do either of you use the all crisco buttercream? The directions I read for fbct said to use real buttercream. I did half butter half crisco with out any meringue powder. It didn't crust at all. I think I might have been able to fix it if it would have. Let me know what you use. THANKS A BUNCH!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 2:46pm
post #5 of 6

I use 1/2 butter to 1/2 crisco, no meringue powder and my icing does crust though.

goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 2:55pm
post #6 of 6

I am looking forward to trying this technique. I love color flow so this is next.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%