Do You Provide Backdrop For Wedding Cakes??

Business By mocakes Updated 27 Aug 2006 , 1:06pm by mocakes

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 10:21pm
post #1 of 6

Do any of you rent out or include in your prices a backdrop (lattice wall, etc.) to dress up the wedding cake area??

I have gone to a reception hall to set up a cake and find that the table is in front of a fire extinguisher, a bright blue bulletin board, a fuse box...It is SO frustrating to have this exquisite cake in front of something hideous! icon_cry.gif It's in all the pictures and it takes away from the cake. My husband has thought about building me something like a lattice backdrop that I can decorate with tule or whatever.

Any suggestions?? Comments??

5 replies
mocakes Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 10:23pm
post #2 of 6

bump.

Aztec9206 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aztec9206 Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 10:32pm
post #3 of 6

I understand completely....Cakes are just so beautiful but then to have them in front of a emergency exit door or fire extinguisher or if your event is at a VFW HALL or Nights of Columbus or Moose Lodge or just any place like that, where you tend to have all these picture hanging on the walls from past club presidents or club queens or kings and the pictures are 30+ yrs old and tinted yellow...that's just a shame. The cake can not be truly appreciated....You know your husband has a good idea just include the rental in the cost of the cake. Talk to the bride and see if there will be anykind of backdrop for the area? If not offer what you have.

Keep on baking!!!

Cindy

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 7:53am
post #4 of 6

Unless the customer want me to decorate the table and surrounding areas I do not provide backdrops. Most of the cakes I do have wedding coordinators and we always discuss displaying the cake properly. When I work with a client that does not have one, I always emphasize that the cake should stand out and be stunning, and they should consider this when decorating. I will agree though that some people can't decorate .

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 2:23am
post #5 of 6

I cover this in my meeting with the bride. As we discuss the room layout, where everything will be, etc., I suggest to her that she be very careful and look at what is behind the cake table. I share the story about one wedding cake I set up in which the background (that will shine forever in their photos) had a sign on it that said "MEN". It's not just the backdrops they have to watch for....if there is a fountain in the cake design or if they have selected the 3-tiered silver champagne fountain for their punch, they also need to be sure electrical access is close by (I carry a 50-ft extension cord and duct tape (to tape the cord to the floor) in my delivery van just for this reason.)

mocakes Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 1:06pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for all the advice! I have a container of "cake supplies" I bring with me to all the weddings and an extention cord is one of them! The last wedding I did had a fuse box right behind the cake...I need to be more diligent in the future when discussing this with brides! icon_cool.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%