Fondant Covered Board

Decorating By tcdup Updated 5 Jul 2007 , 4:56pm by tcdup

tcdup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcdup Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 1:24pm
post #1 of 12

I see pictures of cakes ontop of boards covered with fondant all the time. It makes a really nice touch I think. How do you cover the board and make the fondant stick? And also wouldn't it get smooshed when you try to pick it up and move it?

11 replies
scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 1:50pm
post #2 of 12

Brush the board with sugar syrup to make the fondant stick. If you're worried about smooshing it, just leave it to dry overnight. You should leave it to dry on the board for a couple of days before sitting the cake on top, too.

agroeve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agroeve Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 6:09pm
post #3 of 12

i cover my boards regularly with fondant. i use cool boiled water brushed lightly over the board and let it dry at least overnight before i attach the cake.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 6:41pm
post #4 of 12

I used watered down piping gel too attach fondant to the board, then let it sit overnight. I also cut a hole in the fondant the same size as the bottom tier and slide the cake, on it's own board, right inside.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 11:47pm
post #5 of 12

I just spritz water on the board and apply the fondant. The water will act as glue. I do the boards 2 days ahead to let them dry.

tcdup Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 4:44pm
post #6 of 12

what type of board do you use? If you are brushing syrup or spritsing with water can you use cardboard or foamcore or does it need to be plywood?

miriel Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 4:46pm
post #7 of 12

I use foam core for my boards.

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 4:47pm
post #8 of 12

sorry to hyjack this thread, but i just covered my first board in fondant and it looked perfect. until it sat for a couple hours, then all these little dents showed up. like air pockets that had collapsed. how can i prevent that in the future?

oh, and i would use a cake drum. they're really sturdy.

Chef_Rinny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Rinny Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 4:50pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Quote:

oh, and i would use a cake drum. they're really sturdy.

This might be a silly question but what is a cake drum?

rsdd108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rsdd108 Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 4:51pm
post #10 of 12

When you cover the board, look carefully for air bubbles and use a corsage pin to gently deflate them from the side by very lightly nudging it into the bubble while rubbing it across the board. You don't want to "pop" it because that would leave a hole, but if you just deflate it and then smooth it out (maybe use a little Crisco if required), it disappears.

Good luck!

miriel Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 4:54pm
post #11 of 12

Cake drums are 1/2" thick boards usually covered in silver or gold foil. Here are some from Country Kitchens: http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/SearchResults.aspx?description=cake%20drum&page=-1

tcdup Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 4:56pm
post #12 of 12

Yes, what is a cake drum? Never heard of that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%