What Do You Line Your Cake Pans With?

Decorating By m0use Updated 25 Aug 2006 , 8:35pm by m0use

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 18

This was suggested by someone as a poll..so here goes..
I line my cake pans with both, wax or parchment paper depending on what I have in the house.
Step 1- grease sides and bottom of cake pans
Step 2- place parchment paper or wax paper (cut to fit) in bottom of pan
Step 3- grease paper
Step 4- pour in cake batter
Step 5- tap pan on counter to get out air bubbles
Step 6- bake cake per directions
Step 7- remove baked cake from oven and allow cake to cool in pan for 10 minutes
Step 8- flip cake pan out onto cooling rack
Step 9- peel away paper and allow cake to cool completely

17 replies
LukeRubyJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LukeRubyJoy Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 5:42pm
post #2 of 18

please explain the purpose of the paper. I just either use bake-easy or grease and flour. Seems to be okay, but am I missing something?

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 5:48pm
post #3 of 18

I don't think you'll ever see a British recipe where it DOESN'T say to line your pan with baking/silcone paper (parchment)! It's what I've always done and what I'll always do for standard pans. For the novelty/character pans I just use baking spray and pastry brush it into all the nook & crannies - I never flour though, don't see the point, baking spray works perfectly fine on its own!

michelle0328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michelle0328 Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 6:46pm
post #4 of 18

I started using the Cake Release by Wilton...My cakes never turned out so clean and smooth-I always use to have problems with crumbs when frosting, but not anymore!!!!!!

2yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2yummy Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 6:56pm
post #5 of 18

I make my own cake release. 1/4 cup criso, 1/4 cup flour, 1/4 cup veg oil. Mix it together and keep it in a container in the fridge. It is quick and easy. I have never had a cake stick they always slide right out of the pan. icon_biggrin.gif

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 6:59pm
post #6 of 18

I do the same as m0use, and for shaped/character pans I use Wilton Cake Release with a silicone pastry brush.

diamondsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsmom Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 7:00pm
post #7 of 18

do you only use parchment on the bottom of the pan. Can it be used ont he sides too?

MISSYCOMPOC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MISSYCOMPOC Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 7:01pm
post #8 of 18

I have never used anything to line it. I used to always use shortning and flour or spray until someone said she used shortning and sugar. I tried it and LOVE it

Mel!

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 2:03am
post #9 of 18

so far Pam works for me--

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 4:11am
post #10 of 18

Ever since I started using the home made pan release, I haven't looked back. It's easy, cheap and works every time. No more problems with crumbs either,(unless I carve)

Theav Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Theav Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 4:23am
post #11 of 18

I just bought some Cake Release because it was on sale for under $2.00 and after I used it I thought, this has to be easy to make. I will have to try one of these recipes.

m0use Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 4:30am
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeRubyJoy

please explain the purpose of the paper. I just either use bake-easy or grease and flour. Seems to be okay, but am I missing something?

The purpose of the paper is to have your cakes come out of the pan much easier no worries about them sticking to the bottom of the pan...of course this will not work with character pans.

m0use Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 4:31am
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsmom

do you only use parchment on the bottom of the pan. Can it be used ont he sides too?

Never tried it on the sides, I usually grease those up pretty good so I have never had a problem with a cake sticking to the sides.

jackfrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackfrost Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 4:51am
post #14 of 18

I use the baking spray and have never had a problem. I have tried several different brands and they all worked well, so I buy which ever one is on sale. I am definitely going to try the cake release recipe that 2yummy uses. icon_smile.gif

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 2:05pm
post #15 of 18

Wow I didn't know you were supposed to line them? I have always used the shortening & flour method and never had a problem with sticking yet. I am VERY careful to make sure its completely covered though.

BakeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeQueen Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 2:12pm
post #16 of 18

I use a commercial bakery pan spray to coat my pan then line the bottom with wax paper. This is the way I learned in class and have been doing it ever since. I have never had a cake stick.

mbalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbalis Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 7:12pm
post #17 of 18

I lightly use spray cooking oil, brush it on smoothly with a pastry brush, and place wax paper on bottom of pan, cut to fit a little smaller than pan border. I flour bottom and sides of pan & tap out the excess. Haven't had a cake stick in 10 years icon_smile.gif

I feel that the paper gives a nice golden coat to the cake 'bottom' which then becomes its 'top'

m0use Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 8:35pm
post #18 of 18

I'm amazed at how many people have responded that they don't use either icon_eek.gif
I don't like cake surprises any more, if my cake breaks on me, its usually me doing it when I flip it out of the pan onto the cooling rack icon_cry.gificon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%