Please! How Do I Make Hibiscus Flowers? Are They Hard?

Decorating By dandy207 Updated 24 Aug 2006 , 2:04pm by acookieobsession

dandy207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandy207 Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 2:51am
post #1 of 6

I have a cake to do on the 9th of sept, she wants a hawaiian them with pink hibiscus flowers. Ive never made these? Are there any kits out there that will show me? Or do i just have to learn on my own. Can anyone give me some pointers?? I have worked with gumpaste a little. OR can i just draw them onto the cake?? Any help is GReat!!!!

5 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 2:53am
post #2 of 6

I just did royal icing hibiscus flowers last week for a mexican themed cake I did.They were really easy.I used the large lily nail covered in foil with a bit of shortening rubbed on the foil so the flowers will come off easier when they dry.I used the rose tip 104 .Check it out in my photos.I also have a template for hibiscus flowers if you want to draw them on the cake also.pm me if you want it!!

fronklowes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fronklowes Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 3:13am
post #3 of 6

Take a look at this:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-38091.html

I posted directions for buttercream and royal that I scanned from an old Wilton book. Also, I remember seeing somebody post how they did them from fondant. You should do a search of the old posts.

dandy207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandy207 Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 3:37am
post #4 of 6

Great help!! Thank you! I think ill try the royal icing ones.

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 4:13am
post #5 of 6

Here's a link to my daughter's graduation cake. My Mom made all the flowers, but are also rose tip 104 made ahead in royal. Good luck.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=LeckieAnne&cat=0&pos=5

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 2:04pm
post #6 of 6

I made a cake (in my photos) where I used fondant for the hibiscus flowers. I used the largest rose cutter (ateco) and used the veiner tool on the leaves to give them that ruffled look. Then i used a wire and rolled fondant around it for the stamen. Then I used luster dust to make them shiny. i wanted to paint the center a darker color pink, but I ran out of time. Hibiscus can be two toned or one toned. I set them out to dry for 2 days in a small tupperware cup so they stayed in the right position. I found that it was better to put 1/2 a paper towel wadded in the bottom to keep it postioned right until it dried.

Good luck,

Julia

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%