How Much Cake Per Pan?

Decorating By sls0812 Updated 20 Jun 2005 , 1:50pm by traci

sls0812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sls0812 Posted 19 Jun 2005 , 3:53am
post #1 of 9

I am wondering how many mixes yall use for all of the different size pans.
I like my cakes to be at least 2 in. high without having to have 2 layers. I made an 11 X 15(I'll attach the picture) and used 2 boxes of cake mix and used the cake extender on both. It was the perfect size, but I can't seem to get my other ones right.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!! icon_confused.gif
LL

8 replies
cakes-r-us Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes-r-us Posted 19 Jun 2005 , 4:25am
post #2 of 9

Hi I answered you regarding my bct in another post. In that cake I used 2 cake mixes no extenders, just followed box directions. Charged $30 got $5 tip, customer loved it. I didnt think it was so great. Glad he was pleased.

sls0812 Posted 19 Jun 2005 , 12:43pm
post #3 of 9

Ok, thanks! What size pan did you use?

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 19 Jun 2005 , 7:37pm
post #4 of 9

This is what I use: 9x13=2 mixes, 11x15=3mixes, 12x18=4 mixes. I always have some extra batter...but I make cupcakes and freeze them. My daughter always has things and I also make cupcakes for people. I like to fill my pans full and then use the large leveler to even them out. If I don't do it this way...they never rise high enough! Hope that made sense! icon_razz.gif
traci

sls0812 Posted 20 Jun 2005 , 12:04am
post #5 of 9

Traci, thank you! Does your cake cook well when you have that much better in there? What do you put your oven on and about how long do you bake it? Your cakes always come out the perfect size. PS - I just noticed that you live in Houston. I live in Port Neches!

traci Posted 20 Jun 2005 , 12:13am
post #6 of 9

I usually fill mine a little over 2/3 full. I like to bake a little less than 350. You can also try the wilton baking strips...I think they do help to cook a cake more even. Good luck!
traci

traci Posted 20 Jun 2005 , 12:19am
post #7 of 9

I never have a problem with that much batter...I usually start baking for 30 minutes and check and then put it for about 10 more minutes. You have to just keep checking until it is done.
traci icon_wink.gif

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 20 Jun 2005 , 12:39am
post #8 of 9

When baking a 9x13, I usually use 1 1/2 mixes. Never considered using two full boxes but maybe I'll try it this week when I do my cake for bunko night. IK do know that for the 10" round cake pans I always use 1 box per pan. Also, I tend to turn my pan after bakimg half way, and if I have two pans going at once, I switcfh racks as well.

Debbi

traci Posted 20 Jun 2005 , 1:50pm
post #9 of 9

On the 9x13 I mix up 2 mixes but I use about 1 2/3- 1 3/4. I have a little left over. When I am making several cakes then I use the extra batter in another cake pan or make cupcakes. I like doing it this way because I never have a problem with my cakes being uneven! Hope that made sense! icon_wink.gif
traci

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%