Viva Or Upside Down Method For Smooth Icing

Decorating By notjustcake Updated 25 Aug 2006 , 2:33pm by sweetsforfli

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 2:12am
post #1 of 24

Which method is easier and better for a perfectly smooth icing like I have seen in some of the cakes on this site? I like the upside down method because of the sharp edges but it sounds too complicated. Please let me know your experiences I am preparing for a wedding cake for my Wilton class. icon_confused.gif

23 replies
butterflyjuju Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflyjuju Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 2:41am
post #2 of 24

Viva to me is much easier.

SweetTater Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTater Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 2:44am
post #3 of 24

I've only tried Viva, but would love to hear someone's experience with upside down method!

notjustcake Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 2:47am
post #4 of 24

I know me too I read the tutorial and darn what a smooth cake!!!!!! But both methods sound too difficult to me!

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 2:49am
post #5 of 24

I tried the upsidedown method once so far. I am going to try it again though!

It's mostly like icing a cake the usual way, I thought.

I thought that maybe I'd try both methods together. To get crisp edges AND really smooth sides.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 2:49am
post #6 of 24

Viva method here.

notjustcake Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 2:52am
post #7 of 24

May be I should try both on practice cakes but my class it's on Monday and I need at least two of the cakes real smooth the 6" will be covered with flowers and gradually less on the other two but it has to be real smooth!!!! I guess I better get to it and give it try and quit being such a chicken

auntsushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsushi Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 2:54am
post #8 of 24

I hate to sound ignorant but I am new to all of this.......what is the upside down method? Thanks for your help! Suzanne

sweetsforfli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsforfli Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 3:00am
post #9 of 24

I also might sound ignorant...
But I browsed the titles of the tutorials and I did not find the Viva method.

auntsushi... if you go to the tutorials on the home page, you have to click where it say MORE and you'll find the tutorial for the upside down method with the steps/photos...

Anyone can help me about the Viva method?

notjustcake Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 3:03am
post #10 of 24

It's there too it's also called the faux fondant

martinez73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martinez73 Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 3:06am
post #11 of 24

I love the viva method.. I have always had trouble with my smoothing of a cake and since I have done the viva method I won't do anything else..

notjustcake Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 3:09am
post #12 of 24

But the whole idea of trimming the edge to make look smooth I don't like that part but I guess that's where the whole faux fondant idea comes from

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 3:19am
post #13 of 24

I was knocking myself out trying to get rolled fondant right and then saw the faux fondant method. I love it! You get the fondant look and the yummy buttercream taste. But with the faux fondant you aren't going to get the crisp edge. I haven't tried the upside down method yet but plan to try it. I'm absolutely in love with Viva towels for smoothing. I don't even use a smoother, just my hands and my surfaces come out very smoothe. Love it!

notjustcake Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 4:14am
post #14 of 24

CarolAnn your cakes ARE SMOOTH !!!!!! I guess even the Viva method is not supposed to be perfect the first time everything takes practice

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 4:45am
post #15 of 24

Thanks!! Yes practice. I use scissors to trim the edge off the top of each tier and then when I use the towel over the edge I stretch it to pull the curve over the top. It works so neat! Just practice and see how it works for you. I tell you I love it! Good luck!

Momof3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof3boys Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 4:49am
post #16 of 24

I love the Viva method. The very few newer cakes I've done (since taking Wilton 1&2 and coming here to CC) everyone asks me if it's fondant. When I tell them it's buttercream they are surprised.

cheffie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheffie Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 5:11am
post #17 of 24

OK I`m fairly new here. Viva and up side down method. Please splain Lucy!!Cheffie icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

cheffie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheffie Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 4:05pm
post #18 of 24

Bump icon_biggrin.gif

Cindy_Gl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy_Gl Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 7:31pm
post #19 of 24

http://www.cakecentral.com/article6-Upside-Down-Icing-Technique-for-Perfectly-Smooth-Icing.html

here is the upside down method.

helpful hint, there are several helpful articals under articals, found on top of this page, right in the middle under the heading "articals"

Cindy_Gl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy_Gl Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 7:33pm
post #20 of 24
BakeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeQueen Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 7:38pm
post #21 of 24

I use the Viva method quite often. It is really a time saver. I have not tried the upside down method but I'm thinking of experimenting with it some time soon.

kharvey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kharvey Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 7:44pm
post #22 of 24

I have a question about the Viva method. I have just learned about this method since joining CC and have not yet tried it. I have only used the bc recipe in the wilton book (shortening, powdered sugar, meringue powder, water, vanilla). When my bc dries on my cakes, it cracks. Has anyone used the bc recipe that is in the instructions for the faux fondant? It uses more shortening and adds cake flour. How is it to work with and how does it taste? Also, does the icing still crack when you use the Viva method?

Sorry that I'm using this thread to ask my own questions. Thanks for your help in advance.

BakeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeQueen Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 8:36pm
post #23 of 24

I started using the Crusting BC recipe from the website about a month ago and fell in love with it. It works really well and tastes incredibly good. I haven't experience it cracking either. This is now my standard buttercream icing.

sweetsforfli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsforfli Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 2:33pm
post #24 of 24

Cindy_Gl
Thank you soooo much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%