Total Newbie!!!

Decorating By rickq Updated 4 Feb 2007 , 3:15am by Angelbaby1973

rickq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rickq Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 12:51am
post #1 of 21

My name is Rick and my wife thinks I am scary!

With that said this is why I am here. I saw a episode of "Ace of Cakes" and I heard Duff say he had a background in "Graffiti art". That was all I needed to hear because I too have a background in the street arts but I refer to it today as "creative aerosol". icon_wink.gif Today I am married with a son and I am non-active in the creative aerosol field.

But!, I am a creative person and I love to give away custom gifts.

So making a custom cake and giving it away make a good equation for me to learn more about FONDANT Cake design. icon_smile.gif

I made a batch of MMF last night and so far so good. I even videotaped my efforts...I seem to do that sort of thing.(www.gardentrain.blogspot.com)

And so, my question is where can I learn more about what is used when applying airbrushed(food coloring) details to fondant on a cake?...specifically to MMF.

This site has been very resourceful thus far and I congratulate everyone here for keeping this neck of the woods so active.

Fun Stuff!

Thanks, Rick Q.

20 replies
sprtd76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sprtd76 Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 12:55am
post #2 of 21

Welcome to CC. I can't help you on the airbrushing, just wanted to say Hey and welcome to the club. thumbs_up.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 12:57am
post #3 of 21

just wanting to say WELCOME!

(and once I have an airbrush...I'll have more of an answer....

tho' from what I've seen...airbrushing fondant just like airburshing any surface, tho' image might spread a bit more than on hard surface, more like spread on a t-shirt or fabric. so if you have experience there....it probably would apply to MMF as well)

and welcome to your new addiction!

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 1:00am
post #4 of 21

Welcome to Cake Central. There are some great airbrush artist on this site, I'm not one of them. I am sure someone will be glad to share their knowledge with you. You can check the gallery and do a search for airbrush and I'm sure you'll find some awesome cakes.

Cindy

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 1:07am
post #5 of 21

welcome to the site! You'll soon be an addict like the rest of us.

mpaigew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpaigew Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 1:08am
post #6 of 21

Welcome Rick...

There are airbrushes that are made specifically for cake decorating. I have the KromaJet, which is a step or so down from the big ones that many others on here have. I would probably go to www.kopykake.com to learn more about the different types of airbrushes. These airbrushes can be used on buttercream, mmf...pretty much anything.

I'm not really sure if that answered your question or not! As far as applying it, I just freehand usually or I'll print off a template on a transparency sheet. There are books that you can buy that have designs, also.

HTH!
Paige

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 1:38am
post #7 of 21

Hey Rick ~ I am already looking forward to you making cakes and posting them on this site! I passed by a train the other day and thought of just how many many many creative artists there are in this world who began their creativity with trains! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

So, with that said, WELCOME!

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 1:56am
post #8 of 21

Hi Rick, just wanted to say howdy and welcome to your new addiciton thumbs_up.gif

jackfrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackfrost Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 2:58am
post #9 of 21

Welcome Rick, it won't be long and you to will be totally addicted! Can't wait to see some of your work

SheilaF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheilaF Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 3:02am
post #10 of 21

I have not entered into the world of airbrushing either, but welcome to CC and I look forward to seeing what you can create!

rickq Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 5:16pm
post #11 of 21

I feel welcomed and slightly encouraged to become addicted...er..uh? icon_biggrin.gif

I will post anything I end up doing for sure.

Thanks all!

Rick Q.

BakeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeQueen Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 5:35pm
post #12 of 21

Welcome, Rickq!

You have joined a great family of cake enthusiasts! I own a KopyKake airbrush but am not the artist I aspire to be. The only thing I can manage to use it for is shading. Roland Winbeckler has a book called Airbrushing Techniques for Cake Decorating. You can find it on his website at www.winbeckler.com or www.kopykake.com. Good luck and I look forward to seeing your work and being inspired by it.

rickq Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 3:12am
post #13 of 21

OK I did this today...while watching my 10month old as well icon_smile.gif

Here is a quick idea to say thank you to a cooking team at work. It is a marker with a tag reading "THX!"

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-photos_display_57_-61642.html

I brushed water over the purple lettering and it gave it a patchy gloss. How can I gloss or glaze this up by morning? Any ideas?

And oh BTW, this takes a lot of work, buying, baking, rolling, stirring...I am thankful my wife has decent tools for such tasks.

critics welcomed please!

Rick Q.

emilykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilykakes Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 10:12am
post #14 of 21

WOW! icon_eek.gif That is awesome!!!! Keep it up, you definitely have a talent for this!

JulieBugg2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieBugg2000 Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 10:38am
post #15 of 21

I have a feeling you're going to do some very amazing work! Your first cake was incredible!

Welcome to CC, you may want to tell your wife that you'll probably be addicted by the end of the day. We're working on a 12-step program but it hasn't happened yet icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 11:07am
post #16 of 21

Ok, I looked at your pic. You're hooked. Too late, you cannot turn back.

Welcome to CC. Another guy in the forum. Yay-y-y! Cakes from the male perspective. Doug has company now!!

Your cake is awesome.

Go to the recipe section and get the recipe for Easy Marshmallow Fondant. Good stuff, inexpensive, too.

About airbrushes -- Kopykake Airmaster is the best system out there for the money, especially for the beginner. Read the features of this airbrush that are listed on their website to see why.

Americolor food colors - both liquid gel and airbrush (available on this site - best prices around) are the favorite of most of the members.

As far as glazing - there is an edible lacquer that can be applied to cakes - it is tres beaucoup expensive, and only rarely available online. I get mine at www.pastrychef.com, which is a great site for you to keep in your faves for later on, as your skill levels progress. \\

Has anyone told you not to freeze an airbrushed cake, or the color will bead up and possibly run? You know now.

So tell us, what neck of the woods are you in? Have you taken any decorating classes, or are you self-taught?

The queen of airbrushing cakes is Frances Kuyper, who now lives in an assisted living facility in California. Here's her website.

http://www.thecakeladyonline.com

If you have any questions about airbrushing, you can e-mail her directly at [email protected]. She loves hearing from decorators, and really loves sharing all the knowledge she has acquired over the many years she spent as a decorator. She is a sweetheart of a gal.

You might want to consider joining ICES, also. Cake decorators and sugar artists from all skill levels, sharing knowledge and experience, lots of cameraderie. Go to www.ices.org for more information. I am an Alternate Representative for my chapter, so if you have any questions about the organization, you can PM me.
Theresa icon_smile.gif

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 12:45pm
post #17 of 21

oh oh oh Mr. Kotter ~ I have the answer icon_biggrin.gif . I think rickq is from earth like tmriga (Theresa)! You all are just toooooo funnnnnny? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif BTW Theresa ~ thanks for all the great info.

SheilaF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheilaF Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 6:26pm
post #18 of 21

Great cake! Probably to late to now since it's already morning, but maybe some thined down piping gel would give it more of a gloss?

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 6:34pm
post #19 of 21

great cake, i am so jealous of all the creative people on this site....accountant turned cake decorator leaves something to be desired!

rickq Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 12:57am
post #20 of 21

OK..guess I am not a Newbie anymore! icon_biggrin.gif

After watching many episodes of ACE OF CAKES with my wife...and re-runs I might add! icon_eek.gif

I think I have developed a niche or at least like the reaction I get once our friends see the cakes we make. They are very simple but nonetheless alot of back breaking work, so we tag team...she bakes and I decorate.

Thank all for your inspiration.

Rick Q.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=rickq&cat=0&pos=0

Angelbaby1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angelbaby1973 Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 3:15am
post #21 of 21

I am new to this so new that I haven't even Had my first class yet! : icon_cry.gif I was reading everything everyone has posted and I am so excited to try this out. I love to bake, not sure I will be very good at decorating cakes, you all on here are wonderful and I hope to be as good as you guys icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%