Icing Has Dots,help

Decorating By bakerj Updated 3 Jul 2007 , 6:49pm by bakerj

bakerj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerj Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 1:44pm
post #1 of 10

i made some blue icing and today i have little pokey dots in it..what in the world is that about.. icon_redface.gif

9 replies
gramofgwen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gramofgwen Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 1:55pm
post #2 of 10

It could be that your sugar had lumps, or you beat it for too long, or at too high a speed. icon_sad.gif

bakerj Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 1:58pm
post #3 of 10

well the red i also made didn't have them..thats why i am confused..the coloring is new.

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 2:14pm
post #4 of 10

I have trouble with blue color binding with frosting. I have white flecks in it and I used americolor. There are some colors that I think are just difficult to get even color. I know that maroon is.

Stephanie

bakerj Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 4:43pm
post #5 of 10

thanks.is there anything to fix that other than just stirring?

USMC_SGTs_Lady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
USMC_SGTs_Lady Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 4:56pm
post #6 of 10

if you put salt in your frosting, it may have not dissolved and thats what the dots are or if you didn't sift your powdered sugar then thats also what it could be....BUT if you colored the red and blue frosting from the same batch of frosting....then...it wouldn't make sense that your blue would have spots but not your red....soooo, if they are from 2 diff batches of frosting then, what i suggested could be the problem...make sense...lol

SarahsSweets2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahsSweets2006 Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 5:14pm
post #7 of 10

I have heard that if you used salt in the buttercream and it did not dissolve it enough you will get those white spots in the icing.

I actually had spots appear on my blue ROYAL ICING... which does not have salt in it. It was weird and no one really knew why. Haha.

Sorry I am not much help.

Yorkiemum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yorkiemum Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 5:30pm
post #8 of 10

I've had the same problem with purple and blue and I don't put salt in my icing. I've found that if I stir it and use it immediately it works out okay. Real frustrating. icon_cry.gif

LisaSargent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaSargent Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 5:31pm
post #9 of 10

My instructor once told me a story about when she was working at a bakery. She used water instead of milk to make her bc and that caused the icing to have little dots in it. Once she switched to milk (at least 2%) she has never had the problem again. She had been doing cakes for 30 years and teaching for 15.

I hope that helps! thumbs_up.gif

bakerj Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 6:49pm
post #10 of 10

wow thanks every one..actually i just looked and the red also has dots..dang..and is so bitter..grrrrrrrrrri appreciat all the help..i think i should just make another batch and chalk this one up..seems like i do that alot lately..lol
well hopefully if i sift a little better and no salt then it shall work this time..the bitter though..even my roya.oh the other was bc i forgot that..i just never had problems before. thanks again..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%