Fondant/gumpaste

Decorating By htwiddy Updated 24 Aug 2006 , 10:13pm by sweet_as_tisse

htwiddy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
htwiddy Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 12:11am
post #1 of 9

I some of you CC'ers Mix fondant and gumpaste together. But what is the ratio. How much gumpaste do you mix with fondant? And what do you use? ( marshmallow fondant with gumpaste or gumtex)
icon_confused.gif
Please help!!!!!! icon_cry.gif

8 replies
SheilaF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheilaF Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 12:15am
post #2 of 9

I've not done this yet, so no clue. Hopefully someone will wander on by with an answer soon....

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 12:22am
post #3 of 9

I do 50/50 on all my Roses and other Fondant decorations..I love the texture of fondant and the strength of Gumpaste. There is really no exact ratio.. you just kind of combine the same amount and knead it together..
Whether you have more of Fondant OR Gumpaste, it won't be a desaster.
LL
LL

SheilaF Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 12:26am
post #4 of 9

Wow, cool cake! I've heard the gumpaste is more "decorational" and tastes like crud. How does that affect the taste of the fondant going 50/50? Do you have to flavor it to make it palatable?

immortalove88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
immortalove88 Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 12:42am
post #5 of 9

prettycake, that fall cake is amazing great color work.

boring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boring Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 12:41pm
post #6 of 9

It depends on the fondant you use what it tastes like.

SheilaF Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 5:48pm
post #7 of 9

I use MMF. I just did some funky flowers for a cake this weekend using the MMF, and they just were not drying very well. So I tried putting them in the oven with just the light on and WOW! That really helps! I'll have to remember that for in the future. Espcially with larger pcs that take longer to dry (like bows).

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 10:03pm
post #8 of 9

Beautiful cake. Love the leaves. I've never tried mixing gumpaste and fondant, love the look, I'll have to try it. thumbs_up.gif

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 10:13pm
post #9 of 9

the other alternative is to just add some gum trag/tex powder to your mmf, i do this and it just makes the mmf dry quicker.

to the small batch of mmf i add about 1/2 to 1/4 teaspoon and this seem to be enough. in 24 hours the mmf has dried rock hard.

kylie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%