Do You Guys Have A Starting Price?

Business By adven68 Updated 24 Aug 2006 , 2:36am by kelleym

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 7:46am
post #1 of 4

I had a request for a cake for 70 people for this weekend. Today, the customer asked if I was able to make an additional cake for the same day, but this one was to serve only 6-8 people.

I said yes and I only charged her for the additional servings because I'm going to make it at the same time as the other cake.

But it got me to thinking....a small cake is just as much work, initially, as a larger cake. Do you guys have a minimum price? What do you think is a reasonable minimum price?

Thanks!

3 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 9:00am
post #2 of 4

Yes, I do! You're right about small cakes being just as much work! I won't make a cake for less than $15, and that's for a 2 layer 4in. My 2 layer 6ins are $25-$30 depending on shape - the bigger the cake the cheaper it works out per serving, at least for me anyway!

spoiledtoodef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spoiledtoodef Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 9:18am
post #3 of 4

You are right Adven68, they are just as much work as a regular cake. Since I live on a base I have to be very careful about my pricing. However, all of my 6" cake start at $15.00. Then we go from there if there is additional work to be done to the cake.

Kim

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 2:36am
post #4 of 4

My minimum is $30 for any cake. To shop, bake, cool, make icing, color icing, and decorate, I figure I'm still taking a loss if I were paying myself any kind of a reasonable hourly rate.

And yes, I do lose some orders because of this. But if people didn't want to pay me $30 for a cake then I really didn't want to make a cake for them anyway.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%