Designing A Rumpus??

Decorating By CreativeCakery Updated 10 Jul 2007 , 9:20pm by crystalina1977

CreativeCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakery Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 4:32pm
post #1 of 6

I have an order for a tiered cake (probably 2 tiers, maybe 3) with a theme of the children's book "Where the Wild Things Are" by Maurice Sendak. This is my BEST customer who sends me lots of referrals, so I REALLY want an extra "wow" factor.

A topsy turvy kind would be really cute with this theme, but I only tried one once, and it was a TOTAL disaster, so it will probably be traditional tiers.

He sent me a link to the topsy turvy cake with the Starry nights deign as the kind of basic idea he wants...he likes the long wires with the stars on them...

1. Any ideas for theme incorporation?
2. Any ideas for tier shapes? Probably will go with round (?)
3. How do you do the wires? Are the things on the end fondant?

I hope I'm not over my head on this one!!

Thanks all you design gurus! You are lifesavers!

5 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 5:35pm
post #2 of 6

cookies or chocolate transfers of Max and the various Wild Things that could stand up around the cake.

cake would be fondant covered w/ the jungle background on it.

could do ropes of fondant as the various vines.

mrsg1111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsg1111 Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 6:16pm
post #3 of 6

How about doing 'background' colors in BC setting up a scene and then make the characters, draw/trace and color, using chocolate. I think these come out great! you could use other types of candy as props.

CreativeCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakery Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 6:30pm
post #4 of 6

Awesome ideas, I really like the vines, Doug!

How do I do chocolate transfers?

Also, how big should my tiers be? He wants two tiers and only needs to feed 30. It needs to be proportional, so I am kind of stumped.

And lastly, we are going with the fondant covered tiers with a jungle background, and I think I will do Doug's vines. The characters will either be the chocolate things (if they sound like I can do them), or made from fondant-covered Rice Krispy treats. HOW MUCH?

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 6:53pm
post #5 of 6

re: chocolate transfers
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-13945.html

this thread has multiple links:
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-140321-chocolate.html+transfers

just like making a FBCT only w/ chocolate (and therefore yummier!)

as for sizes -- 10 and a 6 should do it ...that leaves a nice big ledge to put the figures on and drape the vines easily.

----

and price ---

well at least $90 due to:
fondant
custom chocolate or fondant figure work.

tho' could always quote $120 and then "compromise" if they sputter or rejoice if they say ok.

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 9:20pm
post #6 of 6

you can definitely do the chocolate transfers, they are actually pretty easy! and the "wild things" will lend themselves well to chocolate transfer since they don't have to be totally precise. this is a great idea for a cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%