How Much Do Cake Decorators Get Paid?

Business By oneposhbabychef Updated 17 Aug 2015 , 12:57am by heather31cakes

oneposhbabychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oneposhbabychef Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 9:00pm
post #1 of 34

How much do cake decorators get paid? Like the cake decorators at a bakery or restaurant?

33 replies
ASupergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ASupergirl Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 11:38pm
post #2 of 34

bump....let's see what the averages are....I'm curious....Who out there is one and would you mind sharing what you get paid????

SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 12:42am
post #3 of 34

I'll start.

When I started work I began at $7. After a year I was up to $9.

Not the best paying job I've ever had, but I took the experience and opened my own place.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 2:24am
post #4 of 34

I worked at a bakery for about 3 weeks a couple of months (helping them out after the reg. decorator's mom died). I got paid $9 hour under the table.

marcimang Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marcimang Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 2:36am
post #5 of 34

I worked at a bakery outside of Atlanta and made $9 an hour but the on the job training was worth it!!!
by the way- it wasn't a chain and nothing was repeated- all custom, beautiful cakes and I did about 10-25 a day!!! UGHH

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 2:59am
post #6 of 34

Not nearadangnough! 10-12 cakes a hour is what we're supposed to be producin' too! I started at less than 10 a hour....not much more than that now.

I still go in everyday...it's practice I don't have to pay for. That and the sheer comedy that comes from needy, greedy, ignorant, complaining, cheapskates!

oneposhbabychef Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 5:03pm
post #7 of 34

WOW!! You were dishing out 10-12 cakes and hour and only making $7-9 an hour? You're better off getting your own customers. If the average cake was $25 and you made 10 of them in one hour, that is $250 an hour in which you all were only paid $7-9??

That doesn't even sound right! Are there any cake decorators that make more than $40k a year?

sugarcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcakes Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 8:25pm
post #8 of 34

Grocery stores in California pay about 10-15 dollars an hour depending on experience. Some upscale bakeries pay up to 20 an hour if they think you're really good. The good thing about the grocery stores is that they're union so you get benefits and guaranteed raises every certain amount of hours. I think you get a raise like every 500 hours or so.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 3:14am
post #9 of 34

tamifaye, not "were" ...am...this is the place I work now! Today, I was by myself...all by my self! I decorated 58 cakes, waited on customers, answered the phone, wrote on cakes, took orders, filled the cake case...all in around 6 1/2 hours. To do it for myself takes funds...funds I don't have. Maybe one day....

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 3:26am
post #10 of 34

I just started my cake business, and I live in a lower income area of Ohio. It is worth it.... I work very very hard, and my gross sales vary. Last week, I collected 1700 dollars in wedding cake balances, down payments, and birthday cakes. This week, I am anticipating about 250.00. Next week, 450.00. Don't forget, I have to purchase supplies, pay taxes, and pay bills out of this money. Between November and December of last year, I was bone dry on any sales. When January hit, brides were placing their deposits for summer weddings, and there was constant flow all winter and spring. It is not bad....I think way better than 10 dollars/hour. I will say, though, that these wedding cakes are the bread and butter of the business. If you can go into business for yourself, it is worth it.

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 4:03am
post #11 of 34

I worked in the bakery at Costco started at $10. after about 4 yrs I made $22 per hr but required to do 7-10 cakes per hr.

nicoles0305 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles0305 Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 4:14am
post #12 of 34

I worked at a local bakery and made $10/ hour when I left.

Karenging Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karenging Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 1:56pm
post #13 of 34

I make $12.00, but they have promised a raise soon. I work in a chain, and have been there 3 months. I don't have to do anything except cakes because they have other employees for that. I don't have a set number of cakes to do. I fill any orders, fill the case, and then sometimes make back-up cakes for the freezer. There is nooooo way that I can do 10-12 cakes an hour. icon_eek.gif Orders generally take longer, but if they're for the case, I probably average around 5 or 6. The manager doesn't care what I do, as long as they look good. The pay isn't high, but I'm gaining a lot of experience. I love my job icon_smile.gif

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 2:51pm
post #14 of 34

i work at a very small family run bakery, nothing is up to date, all antiquated equipment. they pay me now, $11/hr, started at $9. but there is no pressure or hurry in any of the cakes we do. average for a saturday is 3 weddings and about 30 custom designed cakes. oh and no fondant!!

divaricks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divaricks Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 3:01pm
post #15 of 34

I must be the slowest decorator on the planet. I can't do one cake an hour when you add in the baking, icing making and general decorating. These cakes that you are required to make an hour, is that with everything made and icing colored? I might be able to churn out a few if that were the case but I find the prep work of making icing, coloring icing, baking and leveling a cake, filling and ciing to be a huge chunk of what it takes to produce a cake - and making 58 cakes in one day? Is that possible? It wouldn't be for me...

This is very eye opening! icon_eek.gif

oneposhbabychef Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 6:35pm
post #16 of 34

Whew! 58 cakes in one day, that is a lot! It takes me 4 hours just for one, lol.

Well I thought I would find a new career in cake decorating but maybe not. Better stick to my day job.

cakesbybert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybert Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 6:45pm
post #17 of 34

I agree with you, divaricks, there's no way, I'm like you one cake an hour is almost impossible. But I would guess, their not doing the baking and pre-prep.

cupcakegirl27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakegirl27 Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 7:50pm
post #18 of 34

I was getting paid $10 per hour at a grocery store. I only had a year of experience. The other cake decorator was getting paid $12 after working there 3 years and having 28 years of experience decorating.

Eggshells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eggshells Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 4:21pm
post #19 of 34

It all depends on how you get hired. As a Cake Decorator they may start you at minimum wage.

As a Pastry Chef well you can get depending on where up to $25.00 an hour.

Big difference isn't it?

Luvs cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luvs cakes Posted 22 Nov 2014 , 8:11am
post #20 of 34

I was a Cake decorator for Vons ( Safeway ) but gained my experience at Food 4 less. I started at Vons on Jan as a cake decorator and my starting pay was 10HR in 4 months I got promoted to Bakery manager and bumped to 18HR with union benefits but the stress was ridiculous. They expected 10 cakes per hour plus baking bread at the same time while cleaning and doing front customer service. I did it for 7 years and quit when I almost got a stroke. 2 other bakers had heart attacks due to stress. They are good jobs but they kill you slowly 

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 22 Nov 2014 , 11:44am
post #21 of 34

Karenging, it sounds like you have a fantastic boss!! 

All4cake, it sounds like you have a stressful job!! Does someone else cook the 58 cakes and level them? Do you just do the decorating only? Even so, with just decorating them it just sounds like too much for most people to handle. You are probably exhausted by the time you leave there!! My prayers go out to you!! I would be too stressed out to handle that!! You must have a lot of stamina and energy!! I am glad that I only make cakes for fun!! 

DisSweetTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DisSweetTreats Posted 22 Nov 2014 , 1:53pm
post #22 of 34

Did you guys have to experience to work in those bakeries? Or did they teach you how to decorate cakes? Just curious!

embersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
embersmom Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 3:32pm
post #23 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by DisSweetTreats 

Did you guys have to experience to work in those bakeries? Or did they teach you how to decorate cakes? Just curious!

Experience helps -- in fact, my employer prefers previous experience so we don't have to train from scratch.  Training from scratch takes time and money, and frankly, most in-store bakeries are so strapped for help that a new decorator is expected to come up to speed sooner rather than later.  I've trained brand spanking new decorators-to-be, but not in the last few years.  I have too much else to do.

My previous employer gave a new decorator 90 days and coincided it with the 3-month review.  If there was no discernible difference in speed between when the decorator started and that 3-month mark, the decorator was let go.

Time is money.  The more cakes you can produce, the more hours you'll earn for the department which in turn means the more hours you'll get.  If you're part time you're always keenly aware of this.

embersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
embersmom Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 3:34pm
post #24 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luvs cakes 
They expected 10 cakes per hour plus baking bread at the same time while cleaning and doing front customer service.

That's par for the course working in an in-store bakery :shrug:

DinoZoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DinoZoo Posted 3 May 2015 , 5:06am
post #25 of 34

This is depressing. I work as a bakery clerk for a huge grocery chain. I'd love to get a chance to be a cake decorator as I have quite a bit of experience both professional and independent. I recently found out that to transfer to another store/position could also reset my hours towards a raise, raises are not merit based, and the cake decorator position would not pay any more than the (unskilled, untrained ) clerk position. At this rate it would take me 5 more years with the company to make what I was getting 15 years ago in a similar position. I'm seeing comments from 10 years ago that reflect better pay/ job equity than what I am seeing now. 

mommy1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy1st Posted 6 May 2015 , 1:58pm
post #26 of 34

When I started decorating, I made $6.50 an hour.  I am now making almost $15.00 an hour.  I went from a regular bakery to a grocery store. I took a pay cut going to the grocery store, but it worked around my kids school schedule better.  Now after 9 years at the grocery store I am looking to open my own shop. I know the hours and work will be crazy, but I think it will be worth it.

tamimisha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamimisha Posted 7 May 2015 , 6:56pm
post #27 of 34

Consider though that grocery store cakes are a FAR CRY from what most of us on here do. Custom cakes take a lot longer. For anyone.

heather31cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heather31cakes Posted 16 Aug 2015 , 5:42am
post #28 of 34

I was making $13.00 an hour at Baskin Robbins. Started with them 6 years before that at $7.25.  My last few years with the company, I was producing 40+ ice cream cakes in an 8 hour day while also being the day shift supervisor. The build process and freeze time make these take longer than fresh cakes. Corporate standard is 3 per hour.  Apparently that is more than the owner was comfortable with paying, because I was replaced with a lady who makes $8.50. My skills are with much more than that though. I charge at least $4 a serving when I make cakes from my home. I'm finding it difficult to acquire a job in a custom bakery. Seems once someone gets the gig, they stay until forced to retire. Ugh. Until I get enough clients to pay my bills or enough money to open my own shop, I'm afraid I'll have to work at a grocery store. One offered $14.00 full time with benefits, but me being a loyal idiot, I didn't go. And right now I'm stuck managing a fast food chain... Thanks to all of you for sharing your information, it's been very insightful!

Karenging Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karenging Posted 16 Aug 2015 , 11:41am
post #29 of 34

I haven't posted for 9 years. Wow, interesting to look back at my post. I'm no longer just a decorator, because I needed more money. I'm  a bakery mgr. and average $45-50,000 each year with bonuses for a 40 hour week. I can decorate when ever I like. but do have a decorator. My company hires new decorators with no experience at $11.23 per hour part time. I was hired in at 12,00 full time 9 years ago. the top out for a decorator is $15.   I really enjoy my job, and find that the  mgr, position is better for my personality. I'm very ADD, and have a hard time doing the same thing for very long. This way I can decorate when I want , bake or whatever, and assign the other tasks to my associates. works for me:)

ChefAngie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefAngie Posted 16 Aug 2015 , 12:39pm
post #30 of 34

I have all the necessary baking and decorating equipment and supplies will be opening my bakery in October.

My sisters helped me figure 35.00 per hour.

-how long from baking to boxing -multiply for example if the cake upon completion took 2 hours  35.00 X 2 = 70.00 and so on.

-if < than 1 hour 18.00 -35.00 depending on the decoatrions.

Hand made flowers, toppers, and bases - additional charges.

Deliveries-additional charges.

Tastings by appointment-two people is the limit: additional peple- additional charge.

Happy Baking and Decorating,

*Last edited by ChefAngie on 16 Aug 2015 , 12:44pm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%