Help With Thomas Engine

Decorating By GILLIGIRL Updated 2 Jul 2007 , 7:37pm by cakesbykitty

GILLIGIRL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GILLIGIRL Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 3:10pm
post #1 of 9

I AM MAKING MY SONS FIRST BIRTHDAY CAKE. I AM MAKING A TRAIN CAKE WITH THOMAS AS MY ENGINE. I AM USING A LOAF PAN FOR MY CARS. HOW WOULD YOU GO ABOUT DOING THOMAS THE ENGINE OUT OF ONE OF THE CARS. THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP ON THIS ONE. I AM STUCK. icon_cry.gif

8 replies
cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 9

first of all, if you can PM Doug he is the guru of designs... i would get a picture of Thomas and see what you need. My son is 8 so this is all from memory... take a loaf pan and add a smoke stack (carve a small piece of cake) with a dowel, use candy melts for wheels? pipe on details. Not sure if this is much help but it's a start. Kit

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 9

WELCOME TO CAKE CENTRAL!!! You will find that this site is VERY addicting!

I have not made a train before but, sounds like you are in the right direction on the loaf pan! I would just make the bottom of it black and decorate the rest as if it was the train. Maybe find some pictures in our galleries and see if you would want to cut out and shape it some. Put some oreo cookies for the wheels! Hopefully this helps some! I know my fellow CCers will have more ideas!

Don't panic! We're here for you!

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 3:39pm
post #4 of 9

Hi and Welcome!
I did a Thomas cake a few weeks ago..will send you the link to my pics as they have what thomas looked like before icing..
my finished cake was 4" x 8" and 4 layers high and the highest point (the top of the cab)
http://picasaweb.google.com/JaneCakeface/ThomasTheTankEngine

Hope some of these pics help you!

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 3:40pm
post #5 of 9

If you want the instructions for the Thomas cake from the Debbie Brown book, PM me with your email address and I'll send the instructions to you.

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 3:42pm
post #6 of 9

I have this tutorial saved in my favorites. Maybe it can help you some=) Jen

http://thomasthetankenginecake.blogspot.com/

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 6:09pm
post #7 of 9

JaneK I absolutely LOVE your Thomas Train! I think I commented on it earlier! I just wanted to tell you again.

Your pics of how you put it together are GREAT! You should make a tutorial on CC!

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 6:12pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks very much!!! Believe me, when I put this together I was gathering info and I got good help from Merissa too!

Any questions, please feel free to ask...I'll try and answer...I should have made a better step by step for this..BUT the hardest part were the decorations on the side...the horizontal stripes nearly did me in...difficult to get them to be straight and not wiggly..

edited to say...watch the copywrite issues...don't sell the cake..give it as a present..I think it is OK in that case...or don't post it on a cake selling website!!!...mine is on my personal cake picture album icon_smile.gif

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 7:37pm
post #9 of 9

brilliant tutorial link, newbeebaker!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%