How Do I Get My Bc Smoother?

Decorating By jewelykaye Updated 3 Jul 2007 , 10:44pm by ShortcakesSweets

jewelykaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelykaye Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 1:17pm
post #1 of 13

I never used to have a problem with it. So this must have to do with my new recipe for buttercream or something I'm doing. Can you please help me out? I currently use the Viva method witht the fondant smoother however the BC crusts so hard that it can't really smooth anything. Also, the way my BC goes on the the cake is has a bunch of tiny craters (maybe air pockets???), I don't know.

Here's the recipe I use:

1/2 C. High Ratio Shortening

2 Tbls Water
1/2 tsp Creme Bouquet
1/2 tsp Butter Flavor
1 lb Powered Sugar (10x)
A pinch of salt (to cut down on the sweetness)
A couple drops of vinegar (per other CCer's to stop cracking of icing)

The items in bold are different or added items. I never used to use the creme bouquet or the vinegar and I used to use Crisco when it had transfat.

Like I said the BC crusts extremely hard, very quickly. So I don't know what to do.

Here's a picture of a cake I just did what kind of shows the issue I'm having. (You can see a full pic in my photos)
LL

12 replies
jewelykaye Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 1:21pm
post #2 of 13

Here's a closer view of the non-smooth-ness... icon_wink.gif
LL

my2sunshines Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
my2sunshines Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 1:22pm
post #3 of 13

First off I have to say that that cake is gorgeous and doesn't look like there is any need for help. I am still struggling w/ getting smooth BC. I was getting those craters in the bc and I found that it was from having my ingredients too hot/soft. Iswitched to having the ac on whenever i make icing and it's hot n humid and I no longer have the craters.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 2:39pm
post #4 of 13

the only thing I can think is you are waiting too long to do the final smoothing - you don't want a hard crust on it or you get the crackle finish you are seeing there. You just need it it so the towel won't stick to the icing.

jewelykaye Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 4:40pm
post #5 of 13

Any other suggestions, please?

heyjules Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heyjules Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 6:01pm
post #6 of 13

I think your cake looks great! Have you tried the paint roller method yet? I think it works great. I've also used the hot spatula method too.

jewelykaye Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 7:50pm
post #7 of 13

I do know about all the methods out there. I don't think they are going to work if my BC is as hard as a rock. Is there something I'm doing wrong???

Please help...

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 8:23pm
post #8 of 13

why not try a different recipe? you may have luck with a different one.

jewelykaye Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 8:41pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt1714

why not try a different recipe? you may have luck with a different one.

I would LOVE to try a different recipe! I just don't know which one to try. Unfortunately I don't have the time to test out recipes (between full time office job and full time cakes). If anyone could suggest a recipe that they use and are successful with I would really appreciate it! thumbs_up.gif

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 8:50pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelykaye

I would LOVE to try a different recipe! I just don't know which one to try. Unfortunately I don't have the time to test out recipes (between full time office job and full time cakes). If anyone could suggest a recipe that they use and are successful with I would really appreciate it! thumbs_up.gif

I see that you are in Texas. This recipe by Val is very popular for dealing with hot and humid climates: http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-4123-High-Humidity-Buttercream.html

fuzzykoala22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fuzzykoala22 Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 10:23pm
post #11 of 13

I also think that maybe the recipe is contributing to the problem. If you compare your fat to sugar ratio to other frostings, you'll see that for 1 lb. of PS most recipes call for 1 cup of fat. More sugar per fat means more crusting. Even increasing your shortening to maybe 3/4 cup instead of a full cup would help the problem and slow crusting down. Good luck!

jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 10:35pm
post #12 of 13

I would try using your hand over the viva towel first and then your fondant smoother. The warmth of your hand might make it a little easier to get it smooth.....then go over it with the fondant smoother so you don't have any uneven places.

ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 10:44pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt1714

the only thing I can think is you are waiting too long to do the final smoothing - you don't want a hard crust on it or you get the crackle finish you are seeing there. You just need it it so the towel won't stick to the icing.

I would have to agree and I don't think you need other suggestions. I think waiting to long to smooth is your problem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%