Help! Pregnant And Can't Stand Smell Of Buttercream

Decorating By ANicole Updated 22 Aug 2006 , 9:31pm by peacockplace

ANicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANicole Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 5:22pm
post #1 of 16

I have been planning on making my son's first birthday cakes for several months. I bought 3 pans (Sesame Street Wilton pans) for these cakes and even took a Wilton class. Well, my last class in Course I is tonite and I can't even handle the thought of going. The smell of buttercream makes me want to puke now. Even the sight of my coursebook, tips or decorating bags disgusts me. I could barely sign on to this website!

I really hate the idea of not making his cakes myself. So, my question is this: Is there another type of frosting I can make that doesn't smell like buttercream (it's 1/2 crisco, 1/2 butter w/ powdered sugar - UGH) that I can use to decorate his cakes with? It has to be stiff enough to do lots of stars. Or should I just order his cake??!

Please help! I feel like a bad mommy!

15 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 5:25pm
post #2 of 16

Ahhh Mommy to be!! I can relate.If the smell and thought bothers you that much...Order his cake this year!! No one will think less of you if you do!! Next year you can make him one and he won't care that you didn't make it!!

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 5:27pm
post #3 of 16

You poor girl! You could do the chocolate buttercream. It smells like chocolate after it's done. However, it may smell like buttercream as you are making it.

Or maybe try the cream cheese one?

I'm not sure. I think I would ask someone to make them for you so you don't get sick.

Do you have a better time of day that you are not sick feeling? If so, make it then.

Hope you are feeling better soon. But CONGRATES! on the new addition to your family.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 5:29pm
post #4 of 16

I am sorry you have to feel so yucky!

Maybe a compromise would be to buy an undecorated (i.e. smooth iced with a border, but no top decoration) cake, which you can put appropriate toys or other toppers on?

You won't have to handle the icing, and you will be able to put a personal touch.

RitzyFritz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RitzyFritz Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 5:31pm
post #5 of 16

I can totally relate to those feelings of guilt...However, if it is any consolation to you, at his young age he #1 probably won't realize/remember that you didn't make it #2 probably won't care as long as he is having fun at his party #3 will love you just as much for just loving him enough to have a party at all...whether you make the cake or not!

Hope that helps, and good luck to you in your pregnancy! I hope your illness won't last long! icon_wink.gif

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 5:31pm
post #6 of 16

I have a four month old now and let me tell you... you might have to hang up the apron for a while. After puking five times during one cake, my hubby made me call it quits... for a few months. Best of luck!

diz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diz Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 5:32pm
post #7 of 16

He will never know.... do not have mommy guilt.

RitzyFritz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RitzyFritz Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 5:34pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacockplace

I have a four month old now and let me tell you... you might have to hang up the apron for a while. After puking five times during one cake, my hubby made me call it quits... for a few months. Best of luck!

Peacockplace: We are glad you didn't forsake that apron and cake decorating for sure! I just LOOOOOVE your Snickers Bar cake! I showed that to my hubby and kids and they were shocked/amazed! I have to work up the nerve to make this for my mother who probably owns half the Mars Company she has eaten so many in her lifetime! icon_razz.gif

Quietcntry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Quietcntry Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 5:35pm
post #9 of 16

I'm feeling for ya! What if you just substitute the crisco in place of the butter. That is what I've been making and I can't smell it. It will probably just taste sweeter.

I agree...what about just buying him one and then when you are able to handle it, make him one just for fun! Kids that age don't remember but I know from having 2 kids, the mommy's want to make it special for them.

Hope you feel better!!!

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 6:52pm
post #10 of 16

I would just buy it, and chalk it up to being a Mom. We can't always do everything for our kids (although we try). You'll have more time to play with him before the party too!

cubbymom01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cubbymom01 Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 7:03pm
post #11 of 16

Being a Mommy making 1st birthday cakes as we speak, I feel your pan deeply. You went to a lot of effort to be able to make those cakes. He will never know, bu you will. You could put the time and effort into making reall cool party favors. That would give you the hands on creativity, satisfaction. Because this is so important to you, I would try making a cake with the cream cheese frosting. It doesn't have that same heavy butter,crisco smell. It might help if you asked a friend to make the frosting for you, that is one less step to smell. What ever you do it will be wonderful.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 7:19pm
post #12 of 16

Why not just frost it in whipped cream this time? I have done that and the stars still look great..

Hope you feel better soon! icon_smile.gif

travelingcakeplate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travelingcakeplate Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 7:44pm
post #13 of 16

From my 8th-25th week of pregnancy I experienced severe morning sickness that lasted 24 hours and was triggered by the thought of smelling or seeing just about anything. Around the 18th week however, I had to be prescribed medication by my doctor. Although I did not want to take it, I must say that it made life much more bearable and I was able to make dinner again.

If you are far enough along in your pregancy, it may be an undesired alternative that can help you through this birthday cake experience. birthday.gif

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 8:05pm
post #14 of 16

I just tried the Bettercream this weekend and didn't think it smelled much like buttercream. More like whiped cream for the plain and the chocolate smelled like chocolate milk.

You can just pour in in the bowl and whip it up. It piped out pretty good, was able to smoothe well.

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 8:10pm
post #15 of 16

Maybe you could try IMBC. I don't think it has a smell at all. OH, just went to the fridge, opened up the container and took a deep whiff. Couldn't figure out what the smell was....then icon_rolleyes.gif yes, wilton clear vanilla, that is the only smell--and probably because I use a lot--2 Tbsp. Plus you won't spend a lot of time cleaning spatulas and bags and tips. Hot water just melts it away.

Maybe try sea bands for nausea, they can help. (Accupressure wrist bands found at the drug store used for sea sickness)

Happy Everything!

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 9:31pm
post #16 of 16

If you are desperate to make it you might try wilton's canned buttercream. It's already made, but unlike other canned frosting, you can decorate with it. You could even buy the tube colors of frosting and just add the tip. That would limit the exposure to frosting smell. I konw how I was about my boys 1st cakes, so I can see why you want to so it so bad!

RitzyFritz, thank you ! That was so sweet! I missed cakes while I was on my forced "maternity leave." I'm so happy to be back. To tell you the truth, the snickers cake was so much less time consuming than other shaped ones I've done. Your comment put a big smile on my face!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%