How Do I Get Started With Fondant

Decorating By megal80 Updated 25 Aug 2006 , 12:15am by strawberry0121

megal80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megal80 Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 21

I have been cake decorating for a couple of years now. I took the Michaels 1st and 2nd course. Now I work in a bakery ~ cake decorating, but I have only ever used buttercream and whipped icings! I want to get started with fondant, but everytime I sign up for course 3 (wilton) it gets cancelled due to not having enough people sign up for it! Any suggestions on self teaching...or good references/books???

PS- New to CC.

20 replies
strawberry0121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry0121 Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 4:57pm
post #2 of 21

I am VERY new to fondant. Here is what I recommend so far....

Make your own Marshmallow fondant. It is cheap to make and YOU get to flavor it how you want.

If you are sculpting, and you make crabs, their legs will fall off. There are several ways to make "glue" to get them back on, including egg wash, royal icing and piping gel.

Corn starch ROCKS to keep it from sticking if you are rolling it out.

Always use the same color of BC under the findant. If you use blue BC under white fondant, it WILL show through....icon_smile.gif

Always freeze your leftovers. You will be able to use them again later.

HTH!!!!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 5:13pm
post #3 of 21

Hi - I took Course 3 and to be honest, I learned more here at CC about fondant than I did there...

The fondant roses are a nice start and I don't really think they are difficult to make either.... I thought it was pretty fun. The more advanced flowers were not covered in class 3 so I bought a DVD off eBay.... I am waiting impatiently icon_smile.gif for it.

The only thing that continues to throw me off is whether to use shortening or starch and when to use each....cripes, I get confused!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 5:21pm
post #4 of 21

Try using confectioners sugar to roll it out instead of cornstrach...tastes better!!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 5:24pm
post #5 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Try using confectioners sugar to roll it out instead of cornstrach...tastes better!!

Duh.... what a dork I am! Thanks a lot icon_biggrin.gif makes all the sense in the world!

coolmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coolmom Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 5:29pm
post #6 of 21

I've tried Cornstarch and Crisco when rolling it out, but what has helped the most is how I make the MMF. When mixing the melted marshmallows with the powdered sugar, I added half of the bag and mixed it in, then I used the other half little by little to kneed into the MMF until it wasn't sticky anymore. I ended up with about 1/4 of the bag that I didn't use. Then I store it in a ziploc bag in a tupperware container in the pantry. When I need to use some, I take out as much as I need and work a little bit of crisco into it until it is soft again, but not so much that it gets sticky, then I don't even need to use cornstarch. This last batch has worked out soooo well!!! icon_biggrin.gif

megal80 Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 5:30pm
post #7 of 21

Thanks gals! The marshmallow fondant recipe on cc looks easy enough...I think I will try it!

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 5:35pm
post #8 of 21

Fondant is so fun. You are going to love it.

I would buy fondant the first time you use it. Trying to make it when you are not sure what it should feel/look like is to hard.

If you have a silpat use that to roll it out. You can put a light layer of Crisco on the pat to insure you are not going to stick. Be sure to also use it on the rolling pin.

When you roll it out start at the 1/2 way mark and roll forward then go back to the center and roll down. Turn the fondant and roll to the sides. You do not want to roll this like a pie dough. Always roll from the center out. Not back and forth as the fondant will crease and you won't be able to smooth it out.

If you are using the Wilton mat or some other kind I would make a mixture of 1/2 powdered sugar and 1/2 cornstarch. Put it in a knee high stocking and tie it up to make a puff. Use that to put down the sugar and starch so it won't stick. Don't go over board though as it will dry your fondant out.

Don't roll overly thin as every little bump will show up.

Be sure you use a light layer of buttercream on your cake before you put the fondant on it.

If you are making figures mix a bit of gumpaste to the fondant to help it hold up and dry stronger.

Good luck and post pictures.

lcdmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcdmarie Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 8:53pm
post #9 of 21

Thanks for all the info

Nyma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nyma Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 9:13pm
post #10 of 21

Woohoo!! icon_biggrin.gif I have so many question on MMF and you guys are usually soo good helping me!
I'm going to ask the dumbest question ever! dunce.gif I tried MMF using the microwave and obviously something went wrong from that point on!! icon_confused.gificon_cry.gif (YES the very begging!! shhh.gif )
Can I melt the MM on a teflon soucer pan???? I don't want to mess up my pans. I think if I can conquer that part, I can work out the rest of the steps.

Megal80 Let's see if we can conquer the MMF world!!!

Thanks for your help!!

coolmom Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 9:18pm
post #11 of 21

I'm not sure about a teflon saucer pan...??? I always use a glass mixing bowl (like pyrex) that is greased or sprayed with pam. HTH!

Nyma Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 9:20pm
post #12 of 21

Coolmom- Do you put the pyrex in the stove??? (I have to ask dunce.gif )

coolmom Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 9:26pm
post #13 of 21

No!! icon_lol.gif I guess I misunderstood you. I was sitting here thinking...Can you put teflon in the microwave???? icon_surprised.gif

Sweetpeeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetpeeps Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 9:30pm
post #14 of 21

I've been melting mine in a glass bowl in the microwave. But, I've only been doing small batches. I just threw about 5-7 big marshmallows with about 3tsp of water in the micro for 30 sec. Got it out added my color and stirred in the powdered sugar. Worked great. Last time I did it in the mixing bowl and it was a mess. But, maybe it was just me. I also just got a book from Hobby Lobby with my 50% off coupon...YEAH!!!!!!!!!! Anyway, it's called Celebrate with Fondant It's great. It has lots of ideas and teaches you how to do a lot of stuff. LOVE IT!

Nyma Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 9:35pm
post #15 of 21

Hahaha!! This is soo funny!! icon_lol.gif I was just try to see if I could do it in the stove icon_surprised.gif (didn't say that in my post, duh!) so maybe I could stir constantly.....LOL.
I think icon_rolleyes.gif sweetpeeps' idea is good. I think I'll try it like that.

Sweetpeeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetpeeps Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 9:52pm
post #16 of 21

Oops forgot to say. This wasn't my idea. I forgot who said it on here, but someone else on here said to try it in small batches. I tried it and it worked. I don't want to take credit for the idea, although, I would love to!

Kelrak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelrak Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 10:12pm
post #17 of 21

I have a few tips and a couple of questions too! I'm playing around with my first batch.

Tips:

*Start by greasing your bowl before you put it into the microwave. This helped me a lot.

*Someone suggested freezing leftovers, but I also read to store them well-wrapped in the cupboard. Mine worked well this way.

*Re-heat in a greased bowl for just a few seconds to soften it up.

*Instead of buying cutters, look around your kitchen to see what you can use. I used an apple corer and small plastic cookie cutters to make little shapes that we put together to make ladybugs and butterflies.

There is a good tutorial about covering cakes with fondant. Now I would love to see a tutorial on how to create sculpted decorations or cut-outs for decorating. My DD and I are figuring it out by trial and error right now. She made some really cute freehand bugs (and she's not even 8 y.o. yet!!! Look at my pictures.) but I hope they dry well and stick together when I make the cake.

How long does it take to dry? I did not add gum-tex.

What is the best way to "glue" parts back together? I think I read water and/or clear vanilla work well.

Thanks,

Kelly

megal80 Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 11:01pm
post #18 of 21

Just wanted to say, I did my first fondant cake. I decided to try it with the already made stuff. Now I will try the MMF. Fondant is so fun, I love it! I didn't do anything tricky or incredible yet...I'll work up to that!

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

Once I figure out how to post my pictures on here I will!

strawberry0121 Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 2:45pm
post #19 of 21

Oh, here's another one on MMF figures. DO NOT try to dry them in a warmed oven. They WILL melt....see my pictures.

megal80 Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 7:35pm
post #20 of 21

ooooooh bummer! Thanks for the tip!

By the way, your woodlands cake is soooo cute!

strawberry0121 Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 12:15am
post #21 of 21

Thanks! Hindsight, I would have made the bottom look more stumpy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%