Sheet Cake With Heart

Decorating By irisinbloom Updated 17 Jun 2005 , 7:08pm by irisinbloom

irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 6

Need help, I want to make a half sheet cake with 9 inch heart cake to be put in the middle, question is can I just lay the heart cake in the middle of the sheet cake or do I need to put the heart on a cake board or do I have to use dowels? Thanks in advance for any suggestions

5 replies
aunt-judy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt-judy Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 3:51pm
post #2 of 6

yes, if the heart cake is more than a single layer, you really should have the heart cake on a board. unless the top cake is wicked heavy, you dont need dowels, but you should provide some extra support i like to use firm plastic drinking straws, cut to the top of the bottom cake and pushed through (as you would with dowels). a few of those in the bottom cake under the heart, along with the board under the heart, will distribute the weight of the heart more evenly. make sure that your top layer of icing on the bottom cake isnt too soft, or it may shift (i once placed a heavier-than-i-thought chocolate maple leaf topper on a three-tier stacked wedding cake that was done with cake and chocolate mousse it didnt occur to me to put a top layer of cake on the very top tier (as i had done with the bottom two tiers), so the chocolate leaf, which bore the names of the bride and groom, started to slide through the buttercream and mousse below!) icon_surprised.gif

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 4:03pm
post #3 of 6

I would put a board under the heart. This will also make it easier to decorate. You can frost the heart and then stack it and add a border around it. I would also add a dowel rod or two underneath. I like using the plastic ones because they are easy to cut and add more support.
traci

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 4:40pm
post #4 of 6

If you look at my pictures, you will see the type of cake you are talking about, I just placed the smaller cake on a cakeboard (for the couple to take home) with no dowels for support. It worked out fine.

Debbi

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 4:46pm
post #5 of 6

Well said, Traci! Janice

irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 7:08pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the advice and Debbi your cake is beautiful and the strawberries are awesome.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%