Asked To Write About Cakes.

Decorating By pinknlee Updated 25 Aug 2006 , 6:01pm by desireed

pinknlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinknlee Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 9:56pm
post #1 of 13

I was asked by the editor of our local newspaper to write an article for the food day column! It is exciting and scary. I haven't said I would do it yet. What would you put in it?

12 replies
pinknlee Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 13

I am a little nervous. I know a lot about cakes. I don't know hat to foucus on. Any suggestions?

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 10:15pm
post #3 of 13

Maybe a general factoid for those shopping. Such as:

the difference between fondant and buttercream and gumpaste, and marzipan.

differences in scratch vs mixes

questions one should ask a baker when ordering

a breakdown of why cakes are priced like they are (labor, ingredients, overhead, etc)

I'm out of ideas. My brain must be in neutral. Good luck to you and I hope I was at least a little helpful.

pinknlee Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 11:28pm
post #4 of 13

They want a piece about cake decorating and baking, with a few recipes and photos. I am having a hard time knowing what to write.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 11:35pm
post #5 of 13

Maybe start with how ideas come to you. Then start with what recipe would be most appropriate, ie a dense cake for carving, etc. Then how you would go about decorating it, like would you need fondant, or would buttercream do it? Then loose description of the process (how to dye the icing, roll and cut fondant, how to apply accents, display the finished product). Maybe make a small cake to take pictures of for it, and include the recipe you used.

Would you post your article after it's run, so we can read?

pinknlee Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 11:47pm
post #6 of 13

It is amazing to me that I am being asked this. I am new to making cakes, I don't know all that much, but it is a great opportunity. She sent me an e-mail asking me to do it again. I have never charged anyone for a cake. I just love making them.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 11:53pm
post #7 of 13

Congratulations! What an honor. I am sure you will do beautifully... be sure to scan it so we can all oooh & awwww icon_smile.gif

I absolutely LIVE for the 'Taste' section of our paper on Wednesdays. Perhaps include a little blurb about how involved cake decorating is, to enlighten those lost souls who expect us to bust out a 10 " with fondant roses in 1/2 a day...

just a suggestion icon_redface.gif

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 12:19am
post #8 of 13

First, off I am green with envy. Second, KISS =keep it simple stupid. Give easy recipes and easily done decorations. Pick something that a 12 year old with no experince can do but looks Wow! Don't be afraid to mention the advanced stuff and certainly include a picture or two of really fancy stuff. If spray colors are avalible at your supermarkets you might want to use those for stencil work. Basicly use stuff they can get at grocery store.

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 12:25am
post #9 of 13

maybe since its a first article...start with how tos and basics. then the more they ask ...icon_smile.gif go into more advanced stuff. see i am even saying they will ask you again. icon_smile.gif congrats. hope to read it when you are done.

lakecountrymommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lakecountrymommy Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 1:18am
post #10 of 13

Whoa! Very cool!

How did this come to be? Exciting!

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 5:32am
post #11 of 13

Since you don't sell cakes, maybe you could get together with someone else who has a bakery there in your lovely hamlet. You could maybe ask what their most popular flavors/designs are, or if they have an original recipe they would like published. (they may be flattered and you can take a little pressure off yourself).

We rented a Lincoln City beach house for a week last summer (as well as on our honeymoon 10 yrs before). It is the best ever. Stayed landlocked in Kansas this summer ---Waaaaaah icon_cry.gif

Have fun with the challenge! Yet another excuse to eat cake!

pinknlee Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 5:46pm
post #12 of 13

Unfortunatly, there are not many professional cake people here. They are mostly in the grocery store. They don't really like to give tips.

The editor saw one of my cakes and asked me about them. Then she asked me to write about it!

desireed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
desireed Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 6:01pm
post #13 of 13

I agree that you should keep it simple. You can save the hard stuff for one of the other articles that they are sure to ask you to write! icon_lol.gif

Good luck and congrats!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%