Filling A Cake Question

Decorating By brennafaye Updated 17 Jun 2005 , 6:06pm by Misdawn

brennafaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brennafaye Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 12:59pm
post #1 of 12

I am fairly new to cake decorating but all I have every put between layers are either standard buttercream or my own home made strawberry Jam. I was hoping someone may have some suggestions of different fillings with recipes and tips on what is good. I am ready to branch out I think. reading the information on this website has added so much to my knowledge. Thank you all for everything that you share from your wealth of knowledge.

Brenda

11 replies
melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 2:38pm
post #2 of 12

My favorite thing to fill my cakes with is pudding. You just mix up a jell-o instant pudding mix, and 5 minutes later you have your filling. You can add extra vanilla to it, or whatever you want. It tastes delicious in the cake too.

I have an excellent strawberry mousse recipe too, if you're interested. That is a little 'fancier' though, the pudding is what I use for my basic cakes.

Melissa icon_smile.gif

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 2:51pm
post #3 of 12

my favorite filling is one that has to be refrigerated, but it is well worth it when you taste the cake. I cream one softened 8 oz. package of cream cheese, one half of a tub of whipped cream, and one package of Jello instant pudding (whichever flavor you prefer). You can refrigerate it before spreading it on the cake if it's too thin, the pudding will start to "set" and make it thicker. My family asks me to make it in all my cakes.

brennafaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brennafaye Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 4:20pm
post #4 of 12

thanks for the ideas they sound great

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 4:46pm
post #5 of 12

ok dumb Q here. wont the filling be to soft and just soak through the cake? Will you be able to see the filling when you cut the cake? I have a baby shower cake to do tomorrow. Of course I am icing it today. I have tons of jello pudding and strawberry preserves. The size of my cake will be 14" round. Will the top layer be to heavy for just pudding? I am not new to this, but I am tired of the same old stuff Buttercream filling.. HELP Also if anyone can help, approx. how many cups would you use to cover a 14" round cake? including some border work on the edges and the sides.. Thanks in advance I am trying to do my own Matrix because I think I over do it sometimes with icing. And well I underprice all my cakes because I am not cautious with what I use. I am trying to REALLY make profit here. I feel I am doing this just for the practice, but I really need to get more involved with my spending and my profits.

Misska21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misska21 Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 5:06pm
post #6 of 12

Briansbaker-

LadyCakes has a chart for the amounts of frosting needed depending on the cake sizes. Check it out here... http://ladycakes.com/Recipes/Frostings/frosting1.htm

For a 14x2 cake it says you need 7 1/4 cups of frosting, but I don't think that includes decorating so add a bit to make up the difference.

Jess

CDhartman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CDhartman Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 5:10pm
post #7 of 12

MisMissy-- Your filling recipe sounds yummy. Do you use half of the 8oz or the 12oz tub of whipped cream?

Thanks a bunch.
Cindy

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 5:27pm
post #8 of 12

Thank you all!!

cakesoncall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesoncall Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 5:31pm
post #9 of 12

Misdawn ~ What size of pudding mix package do you use? The large or small one? I'm also curious about the size of the whipped cream tub. Your filling recipe sounds dee-lish and very easy on the wallet (I tend to underprice my cakes when it comes to most of the fillings I do; it'd be nice to have a filling option that is cheap to make.) Thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif

aunt-judy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt-judy Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 5:47pm
post #10 of 12

i like to use mousse, usually a firm egg-free dark chocolate whipped cream variety that i make with just chocolate, butter, and cream. it's lighter than pudding and not wet and stays where i put it and doesn't seep into the cake. i also frost with it frequently; it starts soft and then firms up. i think i posted the recipe in a ganache forum.

abbey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abbey Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 6:01pm
post #11 of 12

I love to use sweetened whipped cream. Just a carton of heavy cream 3 to 4 tbsp of sugar and flavor with flavoring of your choice I usually use vanilla. Whip it until you have a stiff peak and then enjoy. (this is really delicious in strawberry cake) And you can add in things you like too for instance I crushed mini oreos and added them in this filling to fill a chocolate cake and it was yummy.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 6:06pm
post #12 of 12

I'm not sure without actually looking at the tub of whipped cream, but it's the standard Cool Whip tub you get at any grocery store. I think it's 8 oz. I'll double check tonight and post it tomorrow for sure. As far as the pudding mix, I use the smaller box that makes about 4 servings. I don't know how many oz it is. I wish Had the exact measurements for everyone, I'm sorry. But hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%