To Torte Or Not To Torte

Decorating By Maire Updated 22 Aug 2006 , 2:44pm by gidgetsmom

Maire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maire Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 7:14pm
post #1 of 26

Does everyone always torte their 3" cakes when doing a wedding/formal occasion cake?

Just wondering. It would make life so much easier if I did not have to sweat over torting and then "flipping" the top half of a 14" round cake!

Also,
any tips on the best way to transport a 14" round tiered cake? to date I've just put it uncovered in the back of my vehicle (flat) on non-slip surface. The biggest cake box i've been able to find is 14" rectangle -- so its too small for a 14" cake.

thanks!
Maire

25 replies
psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 7:23pm
post #2 of 26

I always torte! One thing for sure if you do torte you will know if the cake is cooked. I use a non slip pad i nmy car too and drive carefully. I do have the magnetic sign on my car that they sell on CC makes people aware of why I am driving so slow and cautious.
Good luck!

annlou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annlou Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 7:25pm
post #3 of 26

I always torte but I slide the top half off onto another board. I never flip it onto the cake or board. Just slide. LouAnn

divaofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divaofcakes Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 7:27pm
post #4 of 26

Yup, I always torte too. It makes for a yummier cake!

I also transport my cakes on a flat surface with a non-skid mat. I have had only one customer complain that I delivered without a box... now I just buy boxes for her and charge her a bit more. icon_smile.gif

Sophie-Em Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sophie-Em Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 7:33pm
post #5 of 26

I usually torte the cake. Everyone thats wants a cake usually tells me they wanted it torted and what filling they want me to use before I get a chance to ask them. The last birthday cake I made was a yellow cake torted with chocolate mousse then iced in vanilla buttercream and topped with chocolate ganash that ran down the sides of the cake. Truly one of my better cakes. It didn't last long. My other cake that is requested is my lemon cake with lemon mousse, lemon buttercream frosting. I usually scrape the skin off the lemon and use it as a garnish on the top of the cake. I really want to try a tropical cake or a coconut cake, maybe someone will order one from me before the holidays.

AngD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngD Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 7:35pm
post #6 of 26

I agree with everyone so far, I always torte too. I think it is to much cake otherwise. Like having the flavor in between. icon_smile.gif

Janeyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janeyd Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 8:00pm
post #7 of 26

OK, a REALLY dumb question. When you torte a cake you are basically cutting a layer in half, yes? Is the only reason you do this to put a filling in?

I'm new, so please bear with me.

AngD Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 10:00pm
post #8 of 26

Yes it is cutting the cake in half or more depending on what you want to do and yes it is to put a filling in. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 1:34am
post #9 of 26

Re: the 14" round transport question.....I dont'put mine in a box either, but I do cover it with (very loose) saran - and use the commercial grade, not the stuff you find in the grocery store! - or what's better yet are large pieces of plastic,like from the dry cleaners. When I have that available, I just drape it over the cake once it's in the van, then when I arrive, pick up the cake and the plastic. It's loose and won't stick to the cake. I just figured most people would feel better seeing it come out of the back of a van or a car if it was covered. No one has ever said one way or the other, tho.

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 1:49am
post #10 of 26

OK--here's my frustrated take on the entire torting issue: I don't like it! So here's what I do now: I bake 3 cakes (same size), which are just about an inch or a bit more tall. I put 2 cake pans on the upper rack and one on the lower. I wrap each cake pan with wet paper towel strips so that I don't get a "hump." I bake at 315, which further helps with the hump issue. I then have a 3-layer cake with 2 layers of filling. I find them to be more stable than 4 shorter layers. I tried the large Wilton leveler, but it was a piece of s**t--the blade would bend and ruin my cakes. I finally tossed it out the back door, swearing until I ran out of cuss words! I'm much more sane/happier now! Hope this info helps!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 1:53am
post #11 of 26

lsawyer: Please! Don't hold Back! Tell us how you really feel! hahahahaha! I enjoyed your story so much! A good laugh that was well needed right now! Thanks!

fourangelsmommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fourangelsmommie Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 2:03am
post #12 of 26

Isawyer.... you are crackin' me up. I've tried that before too, and really like it. And, you are so right about the wilton leveler being crap. My hubby comes runnin' to the kitchen when he starts hearing 'words fly' cause he knows I'm trying to torte with that stupid leveler.

Usually I just use a long serrated knife. It works so much better when my cakes are on my turntable.

AngD Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 2:11am
post #13 of 26

Oh man, Isawyer, I just bought a large cake leveler too, are telling me to return it now? I am going to be usingit for a 12x15, crap now I am worried! icon_cry.gif

lsawyer Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 2:19am
post #14 of 26

AngD-----try it, but hold onto the receipt! Some people actually like/use it! Not me! Hate it, I tell you! Just hate it!

soosf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soosf Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 2:25am
post #15 of 26

I'm so glad to hear that other people are having trouble with that leveler. I thought it was just me!! Thanks.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 2:26am
post #16 of 26

I always tort every cake. Even if I do one of the shape pans. I love the fillings more then the cake most of the time.

I've put cakes in boxes before and seem to always end up damaging the cake because the boxes are so flimsy. So now I just put the cakes on the floor with non skid and leave them out of the box.

missyjo30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyjo30 Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 2:29am
post #17 of 26

Use cardboard boxes. Stand it upright in the back of the van, don't tape completely.

Theav Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Theav Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 2:31am
post #18 of 26

My leveler has worked pretty good so far. I do have to start the cut with a knife first.

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 2:32am
post #19 of 26

My kid works at a grocery store, so I just call him and place an "order" for a large flat box that I can use to put big cakes in. icon_wink.gif

If people are actually going to see the box I'm using, I'll just cover it inside and out with wrapping paper, or even contact paper if I'm going to be re-using the box. icon_smile.gif

Works great, costs next to nothing, allows me to cover the tops of big cakes, etc.

As for the torting issue, I can take it or leave it. If it's a big cake, I just split the layer into halves, if I think I can frost over it. If that's impossible, it's time to get out that schleppy piece of corrugated I use! icon_redface.gif It's nice and slick, and the cake layers slide pretty good with that!

--Knox--

lsawyer Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 2:33am
post #20 of 26

Maire......I forgot to address the 14 inch cake transport issue: I've read here that many people buy the Rubbermaid/generic brand of large plastic tubs (round or square). Flip it over and use the lid to put your cake on, then place the tub over that, using it as the lid. I haven't tried it, but I might want to tape the cake board to the plastic base before covering it with the lid.

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 2:33am
post #21 of 26

For those that have trouble torting the agbay cake leveler is AWESOME!! Worth every penny from what I can see. Go to agbayproducts.com. As for deliveries, I have read a lot of people use large boxes or Rubbermaid containers upside down in the back of the vehicle. HTH! icon_smile.gif

lsawyer Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 2:46am
post #22 of 26

Lenette..............I believe the cheapest is $129?? Is that correct? Here's my concern, assuming that it's a great product (which it appears to be!):
I would bake a 3-inch deep cake. The flower nails would be too short for that deep of a pan. (???) The heating core leaves such a big hole, which I fear will mess up my stability with stacked/tiered cakes. Or, I could bake a 1-inch deep cake, which will not need to be torted, then bake another 2+ inch deep cake and just torte that one. Is that how you do it? What do you recommend? Thanks!

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 3:48am
post #23 of 26

You can also try to slide a torted layer onto a waxed cake board. Sort of gently slip it bewteen the two new layers of cake, and you can lift the top one off.

Then to put it on top of your filling, sort of do it in reverse. Hover the cake board over the filling and slide one end off, match up the layers, and slip it totally off the board.

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 3:50am
post #24 of 26

Oh, I forgot. We were just discussing this at work today.

Isn't cake really a device for getting frosting and filling into your mouth? LOL!

Maire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maire Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 2:25pm
post #25 of 26

OMG You ladies CRACK ME UP

LSawyer--Yup, the cake leveler does suck. I"ve turned to using my long serrated knife. I take two dishes equal height to what I want to torte the cake & use that to keep my cut even (stole that idea from whatshisname-brown on foodnetwork) cuz Ican cut or draw a straight line to save my life.

and THANKS for the big rubbermaid box idea. that is awesome! While my dog is gone (just last week but that's a whole other reason to eat just the icing) the dog hair in my car is not, and I always worry about a stray dog hair flying onto my cake! EEK! (i cover it as best as I can & keep on the AC so hair does not fly!)

gidgetsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gidgetsmom Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 2:44pm
post #26 of 26

lsawyer - for what it's worth - that's exactly the technique that they use in WBH. One pan more full that is divided in half. They put the smaller (single) layer between the cut halves. Of course, both cakes have the crown removed (if necessary).

I also hate the wilton leveler. Mine came apart and bent with the first cake. Can't find the receipt so I'm stuck...just can't bring myself to toss it - although it's useless piece of garbage.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%