Am I Being Crazy?

Decorating By ksimp6577 Updated 25 Aug 2006 , 1:22am by sugarspice

ksimp6577 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ksimp6577 Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 4:37pm
post #1 of 24

HELP! Am I being crazy here? I did a cake order for a birthday cake on Thursday. The woman who ordered it is a drug rep. for my mother-in-law's office. She had me deliver the cake to the Acorn restaurant the party was being held at on Thursday afternoon, and the party was that night. She wasn't there when I delivered it, and she's mailing me a check to pay for it. Normally I wouldn't accept a check in the mail after already delivering the cake, but my MIL knows her so I'm not really worried about it. I called her after dropping the cake off to let her know I had, etc. and asked her to let me know how she liked it. While we were on the phone, she told me she wanted to order 5 cakes for work and to please email her an invoice for those. I did that over the weekend, and I've still not heard anything back from her either about the new cakes or the one from Thursday. I called her this morning and left a message because I needed some more information about the cakes she ordered, such as HELLO! When she needs them?! I still haven't heard from her!!! Am I just being a nervous nellie here because I'm afraid something happened to the cake between me delivering it and the cake being set-up? It was a mad hatter cake, three levels, and I'm scared something happened to it. I'm dying here!

23 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 24

I'd be dying that she hasn't paid you yet and is ordering more cakes and saying "Invoice me"...Hope it all turns out okay!! Not trying to be rude or anything..I would be nervous..... icon_wink.gif

ape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ape Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 4:43pm
post #3 of 24

Well....it is Monday, so maybe she's just busy? I wouldn't worry until tomorrow afternoon, then try calling or sending another email.

No worries, I'm sure everything is fine!!

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 4:44pm
post #4 of 24

You know what? It's only Monday morning. I wouldn't worry about it. I know how my Mondays are when I get to work it is crazy. I wouldn't worry. I am sure you will be hearing from her.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 4:47pm
post #5 of 24

If there had been something WRONG with the cake, you would have heard by now! Just check the "disaster" forum if you don't believe me! icon_confused.gif I'm sure it was wonderful and she will contact you as soon as she has time. Mondays are very busy for most people. I hate when I don't hear positive feedback, but it's human nature to tell you when things are bad, but tell others when it was good.

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 4:49pm
post #6 of 24

I can tell you from my time working in sales and traveling like drug reps do, she's got a lot on her plate and she probably sits down at the end of the day and returns e-mails,calls, etc. That's what I did.

pancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pancake Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 4:53pm
post #7 of 24

I don't think you're crazy.....I would be freaking out too! I don't like invoices either!, but she probably just had a busy weekend, and now a busy Monday morning. I'm sure she'll call soon, try not to worry,.... especially since your MIL knows her. I'm going through the same thing right now!...I had a meeting with a customer on Thursday about a Dora birthday cake....she's very particular & can't seem to make up her mind about any of the details (she still hasn't told me how many people the thing has to feed yet!!) The birthday is on Saturday and I don't know what style of cake she wants, how big it needs to be or what time she's picking it up......don't people realize that us cake decorators like to SCHEDULE things and be at least SEMI-organized!!?!

Nyma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nyma Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 4:55pm
post #8 of 24

Calm down girl!! If sometime went wrong with that cake I'm sure she woudl've call you already and by the way would've cancel the order for the next 5 cakes!!

Many times people don't understand how important is for us to get feedback, she probably don't even cook!! jajaja!!

I'm sure everything is ok!!icon_biggrin.gif

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 5:03pm
post #9 of 24

I can understand why you would be concerned, I probably would be too. I don't think there is a problem, yet. To her, this probably isn't her first priority and doesn't even realize how it affects you. (the nerve icon_wink.gif ) Hopefully, she already mailed you a check for this cake. I think others are right, with the type of work she does, she may not have checked her messages yet. I hope all turns out well.

heavenscent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenscent Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 6:24pm
post #10 of 24

I would not be to worried about it. I am actually a drug sales rep & most Mondays are beyond crazy. Try giving her a call tonight when things have slowed down

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 6:54pm
post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenscent

I would not be to worried about it. I am actually a drug sales rep & most Mondays are beyond crazy. Try giving her a call tonight when things have slowed down

While I agree with all the comments about it only being Monday and she's probably crazy busy- I wouldnt go ahead with 5 new transactions with someone who hasnt paid yet for the first one. No illwill towards the woman it's just good business sense. Knowing someone doesnt automatically mean they handle their business responsibly. I think it's easy to let the guard down maybe or listen to your gut instinct when dealing with people you know or someone you know who referred that person to you. Again, not thinking the worst of this person or that she would turn out to be a customer from hell- but you're conducting business. If you have been in an awkward situation with somerone you know then you know what I'm talking about, if not, you need to trust me, people who know you who arent punctual or courteous with paying on time etc are going to assume because you know each other waiting a week will be ok. DONT DO IT! Dont have to be nasty to her about it at all. Just conduct all your business terms the same no matter who the customer is. Relationships of all kinds get destroyed constantly by mixing business and family/friends- but only if you treat the business side of your relationship like it's different than any other business relationship. You'd only end up with feelings of resentment and stress and feelings you could have avoided by this simple rule.
So have patience, dont stress until /unless there is something to fret about. If the situation arises, then you can 'sit down with her' and work it out. And next time you talk to her/email if the cheque hasnt arrived yet and cleared (I'm serious, this sounds all so morose, but it's not, it's a hell of a lot easier taking preventative measures now than having to deal with awkward situation later- trust me on this from personal experience- learning the hard way long time ago- ask her nicely if she mailed the cheque if she brings up the new cakes- tell her you need the money for the first cake - kinda short this month you can add if you feel awkward asking a customer for money that is owed you icon_smile.gif

So rule 1: with people you have not conducted business with before (and established some precedent that they are reliable and honorable with their commitments), finalize one transaction before moving on to other onesicon_smile.gif

simple and painless I tell ya thumbs_up.gif

ksimp6577 Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 7:00pm
post #12 of 24

You have all made me relax a bit -- I agree that if something were wrong with the cake when she got there, I most likely would have heard about it already. I hate leaving a cake for someone else to be responsible for because it makes me so nervous that something will happen to it!

As for the payment, I'm really not worried about getting paid for the birthday cake. I have both her cell and home phone numbers, as well as her home address. If I were to have an issue, it wouldn't be difficult to track her down. I have no qualms about asking her for the money if I don't receive it in the mail shortly. And I won't be doing any additional cakes for her until this one is paid for. (Although hopefully she still wants the five additional cakes she told me she wanted!)

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 7:30pm
post #13 of 24

5 cakes and an invoice...Humm. Sounds like she is going to use your cakes as sales incentive. My brother was a sales rep. and he was always dropping off a dozen really good donuts at the offices he visited. He said it got him more orders than using his expense account to buy lunch for puchasing agents. The secretaries always made sure his card was avalible when they needed his company's services. Walking with a beautiful and tasty cake would certainly catch the office's attention.

ksimp6577 Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 7:33pm
post #14 of 24

That's EXACTLY what she's doing! I had another drug rep order 5 cakes last week from me to do the same thing. This customer saw one of my cakes at a doc's office she was in, and ordered her's two days later. I think the drug reps may be my best customers!

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 7:43pm
post #15 of 24

Wow that's a good gig. Good luck.

AngD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngD Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 7:50pm
post #16 of 24

Yeah don't worry,the drug rep will be good for the orders and money. They just keep pretty busy schmoozing the docs! LOL Just kiddin heavenscent, don't get mad, I am a nurse and you have to admit some of the drug reps schmooze! icon_smile.gif Really though that should be a good gig for you I totally agree.

oceanspitfire Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 2:03am
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindees

Wow that's a good gig. Good luck.

ok so if I ever am good enough to start charging, then I should go find some drug reps to get my business going thumbs_up.gif LOL

ksimp6577 Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 11:37am
post #18 of 24

It's definitely a good gig! I never even thought of the drug reps when I brought a complimentary cake into my MIL's office, but they've been the bulk of my business so far. It's a great connection!

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 11:45am
post #19 of 24

I did a wedding cake and favors for a drug rep, and it took us 3 months just to get her scheduled for a cake consult! That woman was busy! She turned out to be my favorite customer, though.
Hopefully she has reached you by now...good luck. And ask for payment upfront from now on. Or at least a retainer.

ksimp6577 Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 11:47am
post #20 of 24

I haven't heard from her yet, but I'm just not going to worry about it. I'll call her again this afternoon if I've not heard from her. I'm just going with the theory that she's really busy, not trying to avoid my phone calls!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

oceanspitfire Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 2:30pm
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksimp6577

I haven't heard from her yet, but I'm just not going to worry about it. I'll call her again this afternoon if I've not heard from her. I'm just going with the theory that she's really busy, not trying to avoid my phone calls!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

good luck!

Im LOLing cause that reminds me of that saying or law that people are always impossible to get ahold of when they owe YOU money but are always to be found when you owe THEM money lol. Funny how that works icon_lol.gif

Nyma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nyma Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 9:30pm
post #22 of 24

I'm curious! Have you heard from her? icon_biggrin.gif

ksimp6577 Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 1:13am
post #23 of 24

I have in fact heard from her! Today! I got her check in the mail today and also got a phone call from her. She had been out of town since Sunday. She was very, very pleased with the cake and said everyone at the party loved it. She also ordered 5 cakes for Monday to take to her clients. I was worried for nothing!

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 1:22am
post #24 of 24

Good for you! Glad it all worked out icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%