School...very Long Vent!!

Lounge By llee815 Updated 22 Aug 2006 , 11:32pm by llee815

llee815 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llee815 Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 2:41pm
post #1 of 11

My DD just started kindergarden today. In some ways it was a big deal cause it's kindergarden, but in other ways, this will be her 3rd year of school. My DD started "school" when she was about 3 years old. She has developemental delay so she was in ECE (Early Childhood Education) for the past couple of years.

The deal about this school though is my DH and I have had nothing but "problems" with them thus far. We moved to the area in May. Since I knew we were looking this way to live, I sent a copy of my DD's IEP report (it's a report breaking down my DD's goals and what she's achieved during 3 month periods) to the Special Education Co-op about mid-April. We had a tour of the school and a meeting with the psychologist beginning of June. My DD was supposed to be in Extended School ("summer" school), but the psychologist stated that she just received her IEP the day before and didn't know she was supposed to be in summer school. She stated that all the kindergarden classes were already full but she could put my DD in with the second to fifth graders. WTF?! My DD isn't that far behind, but there was NO WAY she could have classes with second through fifth graders! The other class that she suggested my DD can get put into, the teacher seemed like a real B@@@@. While we were touring, the teacher yelled at a kid for throwing his disposable cup in the garbage because she wanted to save them for the next day. No way my DD was going to be put into a class with her either! No summer school for my DD.

During the summer, I called weekly to the Special Education Co-op because my DH and I had so many questions to ask regarding my DD's schooling. Not ONCE did we receive a call back!

Fast forward to last week's registration. My DD is supposed to go to school full time per her IEP. Kindergarden here is only half a day but the psychologist stated during our meeting that Kayla (DD) could stay in school a full day. Her registration papers said she was to be in the PM class. I told the registration person that my DD was supposed to be full time. She had no clue what I was talking about! Told her never mind, I'll talk to someone else. We go to the Lunch line to see how they handled paying for lunches. My DD would get a "credit card" type thing that would have how ever much money I wanted to put into it. The lunch ladies said my DD would have to get her own lunch or milk (sometimes she'd pack her lunch) and give the person her ticket. We explained that she was only 5 years old and that she wouldn't be able to do that. They said they couldn't help us with that! Ok, on to the bus. My DD has taken the bus to school the past couple of years, she loves taking the bus. In previous years, it would only be her class on the bus. At this school, the bus company picks up everyone from K-8 grade! No way my DD's riding the bus this year! They also stated that they would call because maybe they would just bus the kindergardeners at one time. No one has called us and I've tried calling 5 times this morning and no one answers the dang phone!! After registration, my DH and I went to the Special Education Co-op and we had a meeting with a couple people. My DH was ready to snap, but since these ladies we so helpful and nice he was good. They answered so many of our questions and ones that they couldn't they wrote down to answer later. That only took about 10 minutes. People couldn't have done that beforehand!

My DD is in school now. I actually got a call a little bit ago from her Speech therapist there telling me how she's doing. I really appreciated the call. But she's doing well, laughing, playing, and ACTUALLY talking. My DD is REALLY QUIET until she's comfortable.

Thank you for letting me vent!! Sorry it was so dang long though!

Leslie

10 replies
mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 4:12pm
post #2 of 11

Do ya feel better? Sometimes it just helps to vent!

Thats great news about your dd! You made it sound like her talking was really good news!! So, yay that it seems to be going good so far.

Mine just started Kind. 1 1/2 wks ago. The buses pickup K-12th graders. I take him & pick him up everyday.

I can't believe that teacher yelled at a child for throwing a cup awa!!! OMG!!!

I don't like the way they handle lunch at ds's son either, but the teachers are pretty helpful...especially at the beginning of the year...hopefully your dd will be getting some help too.

If it doesn't seem to work out, is there another school you could send her to? My county has 4 elem. schools that are K-6, but only one middle school & one high school.

good luck to you and dd!

deijha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deijha Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 11

HI llee815 ,,, Wow, it sounds like you need to get in touch with an advocate for special needs kids. I am the mother of a 24 year old mentally and physically handicapped girl. I have been completely through 2 systems in our county and now she is in the workshop so we are on our 3rd. There were things that I didn't like within both systems and had some problems, At that time there really wasn't much choice for parents when she started early intervention at 6 months old, I found out about an organization in Ohio and i became an advocate for parents here. There is laws governing this system in Illinois. I don't know what they are called but you can look it up. In Ohio we have a set of laws written down in a book called the Blue Book, if parents don't know about it, they don't get told about it by the professionals. I'm sure there is a parent organization there, you just have to find it. I know its a lot of work, but it will be worth it in the long run. IEP's are federally mandated, although states can do more than the federal but not less. I hope you can get some information that will help you go through this as easily as possible. Good luck and if I can help you find anything please just pm me.
Jeanne

deijha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deijha Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 4:42pm
post #4 of 11

I found this link http://www.isbe.state.il.us/spec-ed/
its a place to start.
Jeanne

llee815 Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 5:35pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdd

Do ya feel better? Sometimes it just helps to vent!

Mine just started Kind. 1 1/2 wks ago. The buses pickup K-12th graders. I take him & pick him up everyday.

If it doesn't seem to work out, is there another school you could send her to? My county has 4 elem. schools that are K-6, but only one middle school & one high school.

good luck to you and dd!

haha...I feel tons better now! I saw your thread about yours starting kindergarden. I'll be taking mine to and from school too. Oh! Get this. About once or twice every month the HS will get out the same time as the grade schoolers, on those days the grade schooler will have to stay in school an additional 30 minutes!!

Unfortunately, we can't send her to a different school because it's the only grade school in the district and other school won't accept out-of-district kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deijha

HI llee815 ,,, Wow, it sounds like you need to get in touch with an advocate for special needs kids. I am the mother of a 24 year old mentally and physically handicapped girl. I have been completely through 2 systems in our county and now she is in the workshop so we are on our 3rd. There were things that I didn't like within both systems and had some problems, At that time there really wasn't much choice for parents when she started early intervention at 6 months old, I found out about an organization in Ohio and i became an advocate for parents here. There is laws governing this system in Illinois. I don't know what they are called but you can look it up. In Ohio we have a set of laws written down in a book called the Blue Book, if parents don't know about it, they don't get told about it by the professionals. I'm sure there is a parent organization there, you just have to find it. I know its a lot of work, but it will be worth it in the long run. IEP's are federally mandated, although states can do more than the federal but not less. I hope you can get some information that will help you go through this as easily as possible. Good luck and if I can help you find anything please just pm me.
Jeanne

I found this link http://www.isbe.state.il.us/spec-ed/
its a place to start.

Jeanne,
Thanks for all the info. I'll definitely be reading about it. Her past school always asked us if we wanted a copy of the Illinois law for Special Education students, but we always said no since they were always so helpful with everything. Surprise, surprise...this school didn't offer it. hmmm...My DD was going to receive music and art therapy at our old school, but this school doesn't offer it. They cut music and art from their curriculum last year and just put back music this year. I want to find a job closer to her old school so she can say she lives with my parents and I can take her to that school!

Thanks for listening!

Leslie

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 7:45pm
post #6 of 11

I hope everything turns out ok for you & your family...especially your daughter.

This post has been on my mind most of the day.

Best wishes!!

llee815 Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 1:41am
post #7 of 11

Thank you!

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 12:19pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by llee815

Her past school always asked us if we wanted a copy of the Illinois law for Special Education students, but we always said no since they were always so helpful with everything. Surprise, surprise...this school didn't offer it. hmmm...

Then they are going against the law! icon_eek.gif The school by law HAS to offer you a copy of the laws. My son has been in speech therapy since he was 3, every time an IEP was done I was given a copy of the laws.

llee815 Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 1:37pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0use

Quote:
Originally Posted by llee815

Her past school always asked us if we wanted a copy of the Illinois law for Special Education students, but we always said no since they were always so helpful with everything. Surprise, surprise...this school didn't offer it. hmmm...

Then they are going against the law! icon_eek.gif The school by law HAS to offer you a copy of the laws. My son has been in speech therapy since he was 3, every time an IEP was done I was given a copy of the laws.

I'm going to ask for a copy of the laws since this school is being such a hassle. Good thing is my DD's teacher and the Speech Therapist seem very nice. I'm haven't really met with the aids yet though. Kayla had a great day at school yesterday.

This will be my DD's first full day of school, 8:17-2:30p. I hope she does well. We're trying the full day routine out for about a month then decide what to do from there.

Thanks for everyone's support!

Leslie

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 11:14pm
post #10 of 11

I have a son that has been in speech therapy for the last 2 1/2 years. You are doing a good job of noticing this in the first place and being your childs advocate. Just keep an eye out and get on this schools case, if this is going on with your daughter it is probly happening with other children and their parents just don't know any better. My son's school is great and even I have talked to them about my son and things that could be done better in his case. When it comes to your daughter be her advocate (just as you have been doing) and if things don't improve, report it and go from there. Most states have some lawyers also that work on behalf of the family when it comes to children with special needs not being met by the schools. My son was toward the end of last year slipping through the cracks because he is pretty much caught up in speech. However, he's there for a service to help him with his speech and close enough is not good enough for me, he needs just as much help as the others. keep us posted, I hope things improve.

llee815 Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 11:32pm
post #11 of 11

My DH and I really stay on the ball regarding her schooling. So far the teachers have been great. Hopefully, I won't feel the need to "complain" that her school is lacking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%