Your Opinion, Please. Best Books?

Decorating By shortNsweet Updated 21 Aug 2006 , 2:59pm by angelas2babies

shortNsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shortNsweet Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 12:38am
post #1 of 10

I was wondering if you all could give me your opinion on which are the BEST and most informative books to purchase from CC's store for cake decorating.( The top 5 books) Before I go and invest a lot of money buying books that aren't that great, I figured I'd ask all of you! I am interested in moderate to advanced decorating techniques, and for wedding and party cakes. I like lots of full color pictures too! Thanks in advance...I appreciate your opinions!

9 replies
cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 12:47am
post #2 of 10

Hard to pick some over others but I would definitely get all the Colette Peters' books. I think there are 5 of them here for sale. It's a good place to start.
Good luck & have fun decorating!!

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 12:48am
post #3 of 10

Hi, I don't know if I could name the 5 best but by far, a MUST (for me) is Collete's Cakes to Dream On! Oh and also, Debbie Brown's books, they are great, I LOVE the one with the 50 Easy Party Cakes. It is very informative and lovely ideas! HTH

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 1:13am
post #4 of 10

DeDe Wilsons "Wedding Cakes you can Make" is the best book! I love her simple elegance...

CP's Book all rock ; ) and I don't really care for Debbie Brown's - only because they are so far away from anything I could create that they look like toys or ceramic - not like cake. Lots and Lots of fondant - but if that will be 'your thing' I think she is the sculpted fondant queen..

As for Colette Peters, she is the QUEEN period!

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 1:19am
post #5 of 10

I don't know what is offered in the store...but my faves are:

The whimsical bakehouse
Sweet Celebrations by Sylvia Weinstock
The well decorated cake by Toba Garrett

I am going to buy The Cake Bible,----more for the recipes

I am totally cheap and don't buy a lot of books. I check them out of the library and if I can't stand to give them back then I buy them or ask for it for a gift for mothers day or christmas/birthday whatever.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 1:22am
post #6 of 10

I think you need to purchase at least 1 book that covers basic cake decorating, and works up the skill levels.

Choosing from the CC selection, The Beginner's Guide To Cake Decorating would be the first book I would choose.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

shortNsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shortNsweet Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 1:25am
post #7 of 10

Thanks, Theresa, I have been decorating for quite some time, and have TONS of beginners books. I'm just trying to build up my library and wanted opinions on advanced books.

coffeecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coffeecake Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 1:54am
post #8 of 10

I would join Cakediva 73 in the recommendation to Dede Wilson's Wedding Cakes You can Make

If you think you would like to try fondant figures, Debbie Brown's Easy Party Cakes has great directions - even if you do not use her exact design, her directions/pictures for making figues are very simple.

I do not recall seeing it here, but the Whimisical Bakehouse is very good too - the colors are a little strong, but great directions for chocolate transfers amoung other things.

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 2:49pm
post #9 of 10

I'll agree about Colette Peters "Cakes To Dream On." I don't know that I would make any of the cakes in there, but she shows you new techniques that you can apply to your cakes. The pictures are awesome too! BTW, I consider myself intermediate when it comes to cake decorating.

I also LOVE Toba Garrett. I plan on getting "The Well Decorated Cake" and her new one coming out "The Professional Cake Decorator"

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 2:59pm
post #10 of 10

My vote is for Toba's Well Decorated Cake (one of my favorite books ever!!!!) and The Essential Guide to Cake Decorating.

Good luck with your choices!
angie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%