Hobby Or Business - How Did You Get Started?

Decorating By Edibleart Updated 11 May 2007 , 1:55am by jreimer

Edibleart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edibleart Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 10:12pm
post #1 of 27

just wondering where everyone got their start - classes or just "on the job" training or working in a bakery!?!?

did the hobby turn into a business? Did you advertise or just word of mouth?

Just curious how everyone came into this addiction!!!

26 replies
Aztec9206 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aztec9206 Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 10:16pm
post #2 of 27

1st it started as a hobby, but then we started a moonwalk business and so now it's turned into a business. Deliver a moonwalk, deliver a cake, pickup a moonwalk, pickup your cake. Cruising the web and found the site, now I'm addicted to it!!!!

Keep on baking!!!

Cindy

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 10:18pm
post #3 of 27

My mother always did our birthday cakes and stuff so I learned from watching her. When I was in high school my grandma used to make me do huge cookie houses.
I made cakes for my kids because I'm cheap and about 2 years ago I started buying tons of pans.
Now my husband complains he never gets a plain cake and I'm about to make my first wedding cake.

My parents molded chocolate too, even my father who says that kitchen stuff is for women likes to make it. icon_rolleyes.gif

jennifer293 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer293 Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 10:26pm
post #4 of 27

I have always wanted to decorate cakes and never could find the time to take a class. Well last year my DD told me that she wanted a castle cake for her princess birthday party and she told me she wanted me to make it. I had been buying cakes from one lady ever since the kids were born and she always did a fantastic job but she did not like to go out of her comfort zone so I figured getting her to make the castle was not gonna happen. SO I found a class at Hobby Lobby and I took it the month before DD's b-day party. (IT is the purple castle in my pics). I have been making them ever since and I have my first wedding cake on Sept. 16th...still very nervous about it!!! icon_cry.gif I have sold quite a few cakes and cupcakes but I mostly do it for fun.

NeeNee30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NeeNee30 Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 10:39pm
post #5 of 27

My mom also made cakes when I was a kid. Not only for us but for other people, as well. After my baby brother was born, and she started working full-time, she didn't have as much time, so she stopped making cakes. One year I decided I wanted to make my oldest son's birthday cake. So I bought the Wilton Scooby-Do pan, and went to work. Made other son his birthday cake (their bdays are exactly 2 weeks apart). My best friend asked me to make her son's birthday cake, and it just started from there. Every year it seems like more and more people hear or see that I make cakes, and I get busier every year! My mom gave me all of her cake pans and 'stuff' a few years ago, passing the torch, I guess. It is still more of a hobby, though. Although many people that I make cakes for have told me I should open a bakery.... Something to think about.

nenufares Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nenufares Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 10:51pm
post #6 of 27

Jeniffer293... I also have my first wedding cake on sept 16!!!! I guess we are feeling the same icon_cry.gif I am really nervous!
Hope the best to you.

About the question... Well I broke my right leg back in february. Doctor put the cast on and I had it for almost 4 months. I am in therapy right now and going back to work in a couple of weeks.
I was going to quit my job anyway and find something closer home so I decided to take the broken leg as an excuse and quit.
Meanwhile I took cake decorating classes at my local Michaels (just to keep myself busy). That was back in march and people started asking me to bake cakes for them. So I did. Now I have at least one cake order everyweekend.

Jasra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasra Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 11:03pm
post #7 of 27

I had a baby and decided I wanted to be able to make him birthday cakes every year. I took the 3 Wilton courses and his first birthday is next month. I've never sold a cake, just a hobby for me. I like doing them for friends though but have never charged for one. Maternity leave is almost over though so I am not sure how much time I have when I go back. icon_cry.gif But if I spent less time on CC I might have more time to bake icon_rolleyes.gif but I am addicted too!

kidscakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kidscakelady Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 11:18pm
post #8 of 27

I too started by watching my mom and grandmther make cakes when I was a kid. I have never taken any classes but would love to sometime. I started making cakes for my neices and nephews and then my own children. When I started bringing cakes into school, people started asking me to do cakes for them. Over the past year, the requests have been coming fast and furiously- I've actually had to turn a few people away when they have called last minute. It is still just a hobby but ($$)helps me be able to stay home to be available for the girls. My dream would be to one day have a bakery-just not sure f my cakes are of a bakery quality. I really enjoy doing fun cakes for kids. My cakes have been so popular at the girls' school that the kids now recognize my box when I come in and get really upset if it's not for their class. It's really fun to have the kids get excited about my cakes. icon_razz.gif

Jasra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasra Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 1:12am
post #9 of 27

Kidscakelady - your cakes certainly look like they are bakery quality, you do great work!

german Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
german Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 1:24am
post #10 of 27

I never baked cakes until i watched food network and cake shows.Took some classes and now i'm hooked. Hope to get my business going in the next 2 years.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 1:31am
post #11 of 27

It started as a hobby...I don't know what it is now.

mookey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mookey Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 1:32am
post #12 of 27

i always admired the really pretty cakes and wondered how people did it.lol. i happened upon this site a few months ago and got "sucked in".lol now im addicted. i have been decorating cakes galore since then. i make cakes for family and freinds and 3 weeks ago got a call from my friend (who i had made a cake for her to take for one of her coworkers-got the idea for it from here icon_wink.gif she said it was a huge success and had 4-5 people asking if i had cards. i had my first order cake 2 weeks ago and have been going nonstop since then. all thanks to this addictive site, now i am starting a buisness...... thanks cc!!!! lol

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 1:35am
post #13 of 27

congratulations on the business mookey!

mookey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mookey Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 1:44am
post #14 of 27

Thank you! i am quite excited! and im sure that since you guys got me into this ill be turning to all of you with tons of questions.lol icon_wink.gif

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 2:19am
post #15 of 27

I baked cakes off and on for different occasions over the years (for free), but only began decorating regularly when my son was a baby. His friends parents saw the cakes I made for his birthday parties and asked me if I would do a cake for their party. And so it began... A few cakes a year at first, and I now average about 20 cakes a month, and have done over 1800 (for money) total in a little less than 20 years. This year I will begin doing weddings, now that my son is away at college.

NeeNee30, it's nice to see another Arkansan active on CC icon_smile.gif

makincakeintx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makincakeintx Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 2:36am
post #16 of 27

Had a stressful job and DH finally said just quit and stay home...Well he said it once too often and I took him up on it. I started classes the next week...always wanted to take classes and this looked my best opportunity. Before I finished course 3 my instructor said they wanted another instructor at our store so I applied and here I am. Found the site one day while looking for cake ideas. What a land fall it was. I just make cakes for family and a few friends.

However I really enjoy it. DH got all the cakes from class to take to work and I have gotten a few orders from there. Always nervous when I do a cake for someone outside of the family.

Just a hobby...but one I love!!!! party.gif

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 2:41am
post #17 of 27

I went to cooking school when I lived in France 20 years ago ( YIKES! is it that long?) but obviously I didn't learn any decorating. But when I got married a couple of years ago my husband mentioned he thought I should make our wedding cake. "You don't feed people you love store bought cake". So I made a three tier Chocolate cake with raspberry and chocolate mousse fillings with chocolate ganache. I made some chocolate leaves and roses. Voila!..wedding cake.

The next thing I know, friends that own a restaurant called and asked if I'd take the job as their pastry chef. So know I make a wedding cake virtually every week. The funny part is that I couldn't make a buttercream rose to save my life. Hurray for fondant!

JulieBugg2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieBugg2000 Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 3:14am
post #18 of 27

I got the bright idea that I wanted to make a cake for my husband (then fiance) for Valentine's Day this year, and since I can't do anything the simple way, I headed off to Michael's to see what kinds of cool toys I could find to help with my little undertaking.

I ended up with two heart pans, but no tips, icing colors, nada. Why would I need any of that stuff?! icon_confused.gif At that point I couldn't have told you the difference between buttercream and a pile of rocks, so off to the grocery store I went for a tub of oh-so-delicious Duncan Hines and called it a day.

That was one pitiful cake to say the least. By the time I finished there was more cake in the icing than there was in the cake itself and I thought I'd be a genious and toss on some red sprinkles to make it all "blend" a little better.. (Again, icon_confused.gif ) Poor thing looked a little off whack, but was I ever proud lol.

After that I decided to make a birthday cake for one of our friends and was searching online for some ideas and came across this site. Needless to say that was the beginning of the end. Here I am 6 months later and I've been addicted ever since. I'm self-taught for now and bake for family and friends, and the occasional word of mouth order. I plan on taking classes when I can get the time but for now I'm happy with how it's going!

Caykes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caykes2 Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 3:36am
post #19 of 27

I worked in the corporate world and things started getting shaky and since I always baked the cakes for the family holiday gatherings, I decided to take some classes on decorating. I felt if I was going to get laid off from work the next job I will do will be something I really enjoy. Baking and decorating cakes.

I would make a cake every week to practice what I learn in class and take it to work. I started getting cake orders from work and then I got a order for a wedding cake. From my first wedding I started getting orders from the guest that attended the wedding.

Well I finally got laid off and found a job as a cake decorator full time. Now I work decorating cakes outside the home and at home. NEVER could be happier doing what I love and making a living at it.

nicksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicksmom Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 3:45am
post #20 of 27

I also grew up watching my mom and grandma making cakes and about 9yrs ago my mom said lets take cake classes,so we took wiltons course I and never made it to the rest icon_sad.gif I insisted on making clowns for my sons 1st Bday and every bday since making instead of buying.It was only about 6 or 7 yrs ago I volunteered for babyshowercake and from then started reading and self taught myself enough to get people interested and taught myself enough that I was able to become a WMI and am starting a buisness(trying).I've had cake orders every week anywhere from 1-3 cakes a week since about april and love it,love it,love it icon_biggrin.gif If I could quit my day job (retail icon_cry.gif )and make enough sellind cakes I would be on cloud 9 icon_smile.gif

baergarivera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baergarivera Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 3:47am
post #21 of 27

Well Cake decorating being a part of my family for along time. alwasy like it but to scare to try it. well long behold. got ingage and then wanted to make sure i had cover the culinary skills that was 16 yrs ago then one thing let to another and took clases at joan fabric then ac moore got about 5 dozen books 340 cake pans and i just bake my little hear away. know specially since my husband got into a car accident not working no income for him thank God he gave me this talent $1500 later on the kitchen cabinet I am the cake lady of central ave in bridgeport ct/ I bake anything and everything. when the going gets tought we get baking icon_wink.gif
michelle

kidscakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kidscakelady Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 12:02pm
post #22 of 27

Thanks for the vote of confidence Jasra! Your work is great too!!! I LOVE the beach cake that you did and added it to my favorites.

NeeNee30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NeeNee30 Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 1:19pm
post #23 of 27

SugarFrosted, I agree! There are just a couple of us on here (active) from what I can tell. When I 1st saw you on here, I told my DH, "Look, there is another lady on here from Arkansas, she's in Little Rock!!"

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 1:43pm
post #24 of 27

it started as a hobby because I was never satisfied with the cakes I bought at the bakery here. It's the only bakery and I think they don't make efforts since there's no competition. I always got burnt cake, designs that were so so.... My first cake wasn't that good but I practiced and practiced, I have three kids, so that makes 3 birthday cakes per year, plus I made a few more just for fun. 3-4 years ago, I had some friends call me to make their kids cake. Actually they're the ones that were asking me to get into business. I thought about it, and figured that it was what I loved to do so in cake business I am now!!!! I have my own business, home-based, legal and everything. I work from home, at the hours I want, and if I need to go pick up a kid at school because he's sick, I can!!!! I love my job!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Edibleart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edibleart Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 4:02pm
post #25 of 27

Everyone's story has been really interesting!

I never mentioned how I got started. When I was a kid my mom had one of those paper back pamphlet-type deals where you cut the cake and use the pieces to make the shape of something, like a rabbit or frog, etc. My mom made some of them and when I got older I made a few also. Then I even tried making flowers - no instructions or books so it wasn't pretty! I had fun though. After I got married I picked up a few books and made my first royal icing flowers, did my sister's graduation cake. I even made a cake to announce our first pregnancy. It wasn't until after my 2nd son was born and I decided to stay home with my boys that I got more interested and happened upon this website. Of course, you all know what happens then!!! Addiction and of course, I love to try out all the techniques and use the hints everyone has here! I would love to take some classes but it isn't feasible right now. I have been taking a few orders from paying customers but just trying to improve my skills with cakes for my family and friends!

Thanks everyone for your responses. This is a great place!

katharry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katharry Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 7:44pm
post #26 of 27

My sister in law called me three days before her daughter's christening and asked me to make the cake!!!!! I didn't even know what fondant was but decided to give it a go (two tiers no less!!! Had never stacked a cake before either!)...... and the rest as they say is history.

I can't believe how this has taken over my life (and bank balance, and my spare room! icon_cry.gif )

I look back in horror at the cake I produced ... lumpy fondant etc but my SIL was very happy!

JulieBugg2000 I can't believe your a newbie??? I saw your baseball cake the other day and thought you must be a professional thumbs_up.gif

All I can say is I'm so glad I found people as passionate about it as me! Would love to see pictures of people FIRST ever cakes!
LL

jreimer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jreimer Posted 11 May 2007 , 1:55am
post #27 of 27

I got started as a hobby/business. My husband is actually the baker/manager of our bakery and his mom owns it. So I'm around it all the time, but before they owned it (4 years ago now), I had never been around it. Last fall, for some reason I decided that my mother-in-law needs to have a 'back-up' decorator, because she's pretty much all the bakery has. My husband and I have always planned on opening up our own bakery as well. So I thought I'd give it a shot and took the Wilton classes. I think cake decorating is a love/hate relationship for me. I do really enjoy it, but sometimes things just don't go my way and I get really emotional for some reason. I've done a few cakes for customers (non-family), but most have been for family or for store display. I haven't advertised yet. If you'd believe it, my first tiered cake was a wedding cake! It was actually WHILE i was taking the Wilton classes. My teacher couldn't believe that I was taking it on. I kept it pretty simple though (not in my photos), some drop flowers and then just ribbon around each tier. Anyway, now I have another wedding this summer. I plan to take it slow this summer and work into it, then next year (hopefully when my husband and I start our family!!!) I can maybe then quit my real job and do this a little more 'full time'.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%