How To Make More Exciting Cake Boards.

Decorating By diz Updated 20 Aug 2006 , 11:53pm by Jasra

diz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diz Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 10:04pm
post #1 of 8

Can you spruce up cake board other than the shiny silver board (premade) you can buy?

I was reading a book that said you can use paper (like scrapbooking) or fabric as long as the cake is not going to be sitting longer than 24 hours on the paper/fabric.

What do YOU use to spruce it up? I do not want to use fondant etc. Just something cheap and easy!

thanks!
icon_smile.gif

7 replies
Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 10:17pm
post #2 of 8

I like to use cute wrapping paper like the one I used for my Pooh cake. See my photos. I also wrapped clear contact paper over the wrapping paper. HTH.

Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 10:21pm
post #3 of 8

I have my hubby cut plywood for my cake boards and then cover it in contact paper(but you could also cover regular cardboard boards this way). Home Depot carries a large roll of a pretty pink marbled contact paper that I like to use a lot. You can see it on the princess cake I just uploaded, as well as many of my other cakes. I also will take a piece of pretty frilly ribbon and hot glue it to the edge of the board, this gives it a nice finished look and is very inexpensive.

cindww Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindww Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 10:23pm
post #4 of 8

I love to use scrapbook paper from the craft store. There are so many different themes/patterns to choose from. I cut it to fit over the board, then cut cellophane to fit over the paper.

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 10:30pm
post #5 of 8

I use, scrapbook paper, wrapping paper, fabric, you can use everything as long as you cover it with clear contact paper. I use also contact paper with designs on them. I even found one that was clear but had a lace pattern on it. I use it with plain scrapbook paper.

HTH

regymusic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regymusic Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 11:46pm
post #6 of 8

On occasion, I will make the cake board reflect and add to the overall theme. See attached photos.
LL
LL

mookey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mookey Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 11:50pm
post #7 of 8

no pics yet but i made one yesterday and coated it in chocolate.....very elegant....(got the idea from here) icon_wink.gif

Jasra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasra Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 11:53pm
post #8 of 8

I use plywood boards too, I covered them in wrapping paper then in contact paper and sometimes I cover them in foil too depending on what is going to look better. Love the contact paper though, so easy to clean up! I just found I was spending a lot on cardboard cake boards, but I don't sell cakes so don't have to worry about getting them back.
Regymusic I love those boards, they look terrific!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%