Why Are There So Many Different Cake Charts?

Decorating By jessieb578 Updated 2 Jul 2007 , 6:51pm by indydebi

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 19

I'm always so confused and so scared to make a cake for a large number of people because I feel like I won't make enough cake! I've been using this chart, but after reading other charts, I think that maybe it's wrong and I should be making more cake!!!

http://home.comcast.net/~ksrank/Serving%20Size%20Information.htm

For instance I have to do a cake for a bridal shower - for 65 people, they want a round tiered cake. I use 2 inch cake pans. I was going to use 2 - 12 inch cakes stacked, and then 2 10 inch cakes stacked - is this too much???

Ugh, this is SO confusing!

18 replies
jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 4:14pm
post #2 of 19

bump ??

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 4:19pm
post #3 of 19

There are a lot of charts. All you have to do is pick ONE that you are going to go by and stick to it. Your customers are welcome to cut it anyway they want ..... you can give them a guideline.

For example, the Wilton wedding cake chart shows a 10" cake serves 38. I would tell someone they can get approx 35, give or take, from this cake. If they cut it in 4 pieces, then they cut it in four pieces. You can't control that.

Pick one ..... use it consistently.

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 4:23pm
post #4 of 19

You're right. It can be confusing. I have found that I if I stick with the Wilton charts, I am much better. That said, if you do a 12" tier and a 10" tier, you will have enough cake.

Wilton party servings (1 1/2x2") = 68 servings
Wilton wedding servings (1x2') = 94 servings

I know that Indydebi and a couple of other people use the wedding servings as standard for wedding and party cakes. If the client wants bigger pieces, they can certainly cut them bigger. But they may need to order more cake.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 10:58pm
post #5 of 19

Earlene's chart is more on the generous side so there is less risk of being short on cake.

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 11:13pm
post #6 of 19

I forget who posted it, but someone made wooden blocks the size of various cake sizes...painted them to look like a piece of cake (even painted the filling in) so the person getting the cake could see exactly what size of cake they were getting...
So you have a price for size a, b and c ...I thought it was a great idea and want my DH to make me some in his spare time..lol!!

It is hard to visualize the exact size but with the blocks it leaves no doubt!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 11:22pm
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneK

I forget who posted it, but someone made wooden blocks the size of various cake sizes...painted them to look like a piece of cake (even painted the filling in) so the person getting the cake could see exactly what size of cake they were getting...
So you have a price for size a, b and c ...I thought it was a great idea and want my DH to make me some in his spare time..lol!!

It is hard to visualize the exact size but with the blocks it leaves no doubt!

link to the picture JaneK mentioned:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_88648.html

Michele25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele25 Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 11:54pm
post #8 of 19

Thanks for that link, Doug! It really is helpful to see the different sizes. I am always afraid, too, that I"m not going to make enough cake. I have lately been using indydebi's chart, which I love!!! Here's the link:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/m.....de_219.pdf

Michele25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele25 Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 11:57pm
post #9 of 19

Sorry, there was an error with that link. Here it is again......

http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules/Forums/files/cake_serving_guide_219.pdf

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 1:34am
post #10 of 19

I always use the Wilton charts. Always. Why? Becasue I make more money that way. I'm not in the busienss of giving away cake. I'm in the business of selling cake. If you're afraid the customer won't have enough cake, then express your concerns and upsell them more cake. I have a number of brides with 50 guests who order a cake for at least 70, sometimes even a 100 because they want a bigger more impressive cake.

If the customer doesn't order enough cake, or cuts bigger slices than your standard slice, then that is simply their problem.

If the customer orders 50 servings and you take it upon yourself to provide 70 servings, then you're taking money out of your own pocket.

I agree with the previous posters. Pick a chart, any chart and stick to it. I do always provide a cutting chart with each cake. And if the customer follows my cutting chart then they get the number of servings they paid for.

Wilton is best, because the servings are the smallest. And you make more $.

Business, ladies and gentlemen, business.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 2:18am
post #11 of 19

I agree with the above post, pick one and stick to it! I am very clear on all of my paperwork what size my servings are. I use 1x2x4 on double layers and 2x2x2 on single layers. This get you really close to the wilton servings.

For any cake I will not be at the function or is ordered I send an attachment to their invoice for how to cut the cake to get the amount of servings out of it they are paying for. So if they ordered a cake for 30 but intended to only serve 15 then the chart reflects the 30, but they can cut it however they want.

indydebi Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 3:38pm
post #12 of 19

I would like to also offer the thought that I use the serving charts to determine my pricing, not necessarily to determine the number of servings (although they do coincide).

There is nothing stopping anyone from taking a 10" cake and cutting it into 4 pieces. (Heck, me and my 14 year old wiped out a 10" single layer cake in one night not too long ago! But that's a story on the "Here's why we're FAT!" thread!) There is nothing stopping them from cutting it paper thin and getting 70 pieces out of it. The number of servings you tell them is only a suggestion and to give them a general idea.

When someone calls and wants a 2-layer round cake for 25 people, I know they will need a 10" cake. It will be more (wilton wedding cake) servings than they need, but they need more than an 8" and less than a 10" so they get the 10".

I then tell them "the cost for the cake is $87.50". I don't go into "well, this cake will actually serve 35 and my cost per serving is blah blah blah so your total is...." they dont' care. They just want to know how much the cake is. They just want to have enough cake to serve their guests. They could care less about how I came up with the price .... just give them enough cake and tell them the total cost. Period.

So when I mention that I use the Wilton Chart ... it's for PRICING PURPOSES. A way to have consistent and level pricing. A way to have a set method so I am not running around like a chicken with their head cut off wondering what I should charge for a cake everytime I get a cake order. (and oh yeah by the way it can also give you an idea of how many people it will serve ... )

Find a system ... stick to it.

tonyab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonyab Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 6:08pm
post #13 of 19

indydebi,
Do you have a picture on how to cut the cake to get the slices you have listed on your chart?

I would also like to say thanks for the easy to read chart you have come up with. I am definately using it! I've been confused for too long now. thanks again!

indydebi Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 6:15pm
post #14 of 19

First, let me clarify: Another CC'er created the chart that is linked above and very generously added my name to it as a source for her information. I am embarrassed to say that I can't recall who to give credit for it ... hopefully some other CC'ers can help out so we know who to thank for her hard work in creating that for all of us.

Here is a link to my website with a pictorial on how to cut wedding cakes. You are welcome to link it, bookmark it, refer your clients to it: http://cateritsimple.com/_wsn/page19.html

tonyab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonyab Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 6:37pm
post #15 of 19

Indydebi,
thank you so much for the link to the pictoral! This will be a big help to me and now I can rest easy at night. I have been trying to figure out which chart to use and frankly was sick of it! there are too many and they are all so different. I am picking this one and sticking with it!

Who ever the CC'er was that created this chart I thank them too!

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 7:35pm
post #16 of 19

I also use the Wilton chart:

1. Because I get confused really easily icon_redface.gif and this makes it much easier on me.

2. Because they have the chart in each Yearbook (& I think in the rest of their books) and I always have them available ~ in abundance icon_lol.gif

P.S. leahs (in above post) had GREAT reasoning too thumbs_up.gif . You're a smart business woman "leahs".

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 2:00pm
post #17 of 19

Indydebi wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

Here is a link to my website with a pictorial on how to cut wedding cakes. You are welcome to link it, bookmark it, refer your clients to it: http://cateritsimple.com/_wsn/page19.html

Thanks for sharing that link. I did save it for future reference. While I was there I started looking at your site and got hooked icon_smile.gif Great site and the food/cakes/cookies all look so yummy....I'm starving and lunch isn't for another couple of hours! Jodie

mami2sweeties Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mami2sweeties Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 6:47pm
post #18 of 19

If I had a cake business, I think I would show different cake charts and their respective servings. Then they can order what they want. I would let the customer choose the cake serving size and match it with the right cake. That way they get what they are expecting. I agree it is business but I wouldn't just go with Wilton because it feeds more people. I would have to be upfront and let them choose. Just like the poster who showed the cake blocks.

indydebi Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 6:51pm
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mami2sweeties

If I had a cake business, I think I would show different cake charts and their respective servings. Then they can order what they want. I would let the customer choose the cake serving size and match it with the right cake. That way they get what they are expecting. I agree it is business but I wouldn't just go with Wilton because it feeds more people. I would have to be upfront and let them choose. Just like the poster who showed the cake blocks.

YOu would charge more for the larger serving, though, right?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%