Need Advise And Fast!!! Ka Vs Sunbeam?

Decorating By cspriley Updated 24 Aug 2006 , 2:58am by cspriley

cspriley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cspriley Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 9:46pm
post #1 of 11

Heres the deal, right now I have a sunbeam stand mixer, not sure on the watts, but found an ad in the paper for a 1 1/2 yr old kitchen aid for $50, she said her ex paid like $150 for it, she cant find the book so I dont know the watts or anything. I tried MMF for the first time last night and loved it and I am hooked, so I NEED a mixer that is able to stand up to the MMF. I was on sunbeam.com and they have 450 watts for $150. I need to know what you all think, and what has worked for you. Please help ASAP the lady wants to know if I want it or not. So what is the big difference between KA and sunbeam? Thanks!!

10 replies
fourangelsmommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fourangelsmommie Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 9:56pm
post #2 of 11

I had a sunbeam stand mixer and I loved it until I started fixing a lot of icings and MMF. Then I decided to buy a used KA and I found one on ebay for 179 with shipping. It is a 5qt, 1 1/2 years old.

Before you buy it, make sure it works. $50 bucks sure sounds like a steal to me, but it pays to make sure it works before you hand her the money and wont return it.

If you go ahead and get it, I hope it works, and I KNOW you will love it.

By the way, I kept my sunbeam and use it when I have smaller batches to make up, or when my KA is running and I need somthing else at the same time.

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 10:09pm
post #3 of 11

i agree with the above post...make sure its in good working order before you buy. kitchen aid can stand up to mmf. icon_smile.gif always a good buy kitchen aid. and that price is great for a machine 1 /1/2 years old i think.

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 7:50pm
post #4 of 11

You can't beat $50 IF IT WORKS. That's a steal.

pilesoflaundry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pilesoflaundry Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 10:30pm
post #5 of 11

You don't need the book, the number of watts is printed right on the metal band that goes around the mixer if it's the tilt head type it's right at the back near where the mixer lifts up. It will say "max watts" Mine is 325.

Make sure it works and isn't missing the beaters and go for it! I got my KA on an after thanksgiving day sale for $180 and no tax (on base) but I would have loved to find one for $50!

atey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
atey Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 10:42pm
post #6 of 11

Even if it doesn't work you can get it repaired. Also you can buy any attachment from the company. I ordered my splash guard and it was the one for a newer model than mine. They sent me the correct one and didn't even charge me for the second one. I have had mine since 1974 or 1975, I don't think I would try anything else. Both of my sisters have had other brands and have gotten KA and really like them better.

tatetart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatetart Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 10:48pm
post #7 of 11

That's a tough call. I absolutely loved my Sunbeam, But I have a KA now; because being a 6 qt, it can hold a lot more at one time. I gave my Sunbeam to my mom, and she wouldn't trade it for the world!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 10:58pm
post #8 of 11

I have an Oster/Sunbeam Kitchen Center for cakes and use a KA for all frostings... The Oster is not deep or strong enough for the huge frosting batches I make and the KA always leaves a little cake-powder-mud-puddle at the bottom and it drives me batty!

Having both is perfect as I can have batter going and still be doing frostings - I think we paid $329 for my KA so I would JUMP on one for $50. Just try it out before you give her the money - it is a very reasonable request... if it smells funky, the motor might be shot.

bekahscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bekahscakes Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 11:02pm
post #9 of 11

I LOVE my KA. Infact I just got my second one today. Just had to move up to the 6qt.

Dordee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dordee Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 2:41am
post #10 of 11

In my opinion the KA is the best but then I have had TERRIBLE luck with Sunbeam. I've had two and on the first one the motor burned out and I was just making buttercream icing and on the second one the beaters wouldn't stay in. I just finally give up and bought a KA and have been happy ever since.

cspriley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cspriley Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 2:58am
post #11 of 11

Well I am in KA heaven!! I got it today (for $50) and it works great. Her husband must have got a heck of a deal when he got it for $160, its an Artisan 325 watt with the bowl, and 3 attachments. Thanks for all of the advise!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%