Which Kitchen Aid Attachments Do You Have?

Decorating By Momofjakeandjosh Updated 21 Aug 2006 , 11:12pm by Narie

Momofjakeandjosh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momofjakeandjosh Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 8:26pm
post #1 of 9

I have the Kitchen Aid 4.5 quart mixer, and I'm thinking about maybe asking for some attachments for Christmas. All I have now are the dough hook (which I don't know what to do with, so if anyone uses theirs, what do you do with it?), the wire whisk, and the flat beater. There are so many attachments out there like choppers and grinders, etc. Does anyone have any of them and if so, do you like them or not? Also, does anyone know if the 5 quart bowl would fit on the 4.5 quarter mixer? I'm thinking it probably doesn't, but thought I'd ask anyway. You never know . . .

8 replies
Missyleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Missyleigh Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 9

I mix my fondant at first with the dough hook. I also have the meat grinder and it works great.

Rambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rambo Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 9

Funny that you should ask, I was just wondering this very question this morning. I recieved a 6qt KA for mother's day. I have the standard attachments you listed, the hook is for bread dough and though I've never made it I think maybe for marshmallow fondant (thought I read that somewhere) Or maybe it was for rolled BC.

I also have an icecream maker attachment which was a free promotion when my DH bought the mixer. I just recieved the chopper/slicer/shredder for my b-day. Haven't used it yet but am excited about salads in a hurry. It'll be interesting to see what other's have and what they actually use, I'm already thinking up my Christmas wish list. icon_biggrin.gif

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 9:34pm
post #4 of 9

i have the standard whip beater and whisk. i want the ice cream bowl. icon_smile.gif got that ice cream gene from both of my grandfathers. they both loved the stuff. they also both made their own. my paternal grandfather made sour sop and sweet sop ice cream. both are tropical fruits for those who didnt know.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 9:40pm
post #5 of 9

The dough hook is essential for MMF and RB. I wouldn't try to use the paddle with either one. It may last for awhile, but not for long! I have had a few attachments and have never used them. I don't grind enough meat to use the grinder and I chop my veggies with a Pampered Chef chopper. I wish I had the pasta attachment, but I have heard mixed reviews about that one.

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 9:55pm
post #6 of 9

I got the Chopper/shredder/slicer attachment as a gift ( I had beein eyeing it for a while). And was sooo disappointed. I could not get it to slice anything. Everything turned to mush. Even carrots! Luckily the store took it back.

I've heard that the splash gurad doesn't totally keep messes in the bowl. I usually throw a kitchen towel over the whole thing when mixing flour that might overflow.

I would like to have thought about the pasta machine attachment, but got a free-standing one instead (not thinkign there!)

But I've heard some people LOVE the shredder/slicer piece. Maybe I just didn't have the right touch.

Rambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rambo Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 10:03pm
post #7 of 9

I forgot I have a splash guard as well with the pour shield thing, came with my mixer. Seeing as I forgot to mention it you can guess how useful it is. thumbsdown.gif You have to put a towel over the pour hole and if you actully pour anything other than a teaspoonful down the chute it's messier. I usually leave it off entirely, preferrring the old wet papertowl method.

The water jacket looks kind of cool for whipped cream but that may be overkill since the stainless steel stays pretty cool as it is. icon_confused.gif

pilesoflaundry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pilesoflaundry Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 10:20pm
post #8 of 9

Only the standard attachments, paddle, whisk and dough hook. I hate the pouring shield it makes more mess than just dumping stuff in while it's on!!

I've heard very mixed reviews on most of the attachments so I won't buy any. I've been thinking about the meat grinder only because that one I have heard enough good things about it.

You can make ice cream without an ice cream maker in the kitchen aid, you just have to put the mixture in the freezer and wait until it gets cold instead of being able to eat soft serve right away. My ice cream maker (cuisinart) don't make hard ice cream anyway. It was a gift so not a biggie but I thought all ice cream makers made hard ice cream! I remember googling for ice cream recipes and one site came up where someone made it in the KA without the ice cream bowl.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 11:12pm
post #9 of 9

KA attachements
1. pouring shield thumbsdown.gif don't even know where it is
2. grinder thumbs_up.gif use it for grinding meat and veggies for salads, hamballs Cranberries and oranges for cranberry sauce and pie fillings. Only use about once a month, but I wouldn't give it up.
3. slicer shredder thumbsdown.gif I still have it but definitely not what it is cracked up to be.
4. pasta plates for use with grinder thumbsdown.gif used once don't know where they are anymore.
5 ka cook book thumbs_up.gif not all recipes are great but many are very good

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%