Ahead Of Time

Decorating By FavorChoc Updated 30 Jun 2007 , 11:11pm by KellyAnne1284

FavorChoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FavorChoc Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 11:59am
post #1 of 7

How far ahead can a cake be decorated with mmf? and can it be covered with saran? Basically what are the do and don'ts of using mmf? Also what is the best method for preparing your pans for baking?

6 replies
use2bethiel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
use2bethiel Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 12:10pm
post #2 of 7

Not sure what the answer is for doing ahead of time with the mmf. But as far as preparing the pan for baking I LOVE Wilton's Cake Release.
It is the best!!

Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 12:30pm
post #3 of 7

I have made my mmf cakes as long as 4 days in advance. The fondant itself lasts for a long time. I think it would depend alot on the filling. And I would also be afraid of the cake not tasting fresh after sitting for too long. I wouldn't cover in saran it might stick to it. I use a covered cake carrier. But I know that you can put the cake in a box and then wrap the box with Saran or Foil. I like to refrigerate my cakes even when its not necessary. If your refrigerate your mmf be sure to let the condensation dry before touching it. As far as preparing my pans I use a cooking spray for baking from the grocery store. I really like parchement circles too.

meharding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meharding Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 1:52pm
post #4 of 7

I use equal parts crisco shortening, vegetable oil and flour. I mix it up and store it in an old mayo or peanut butter jar. It is cheap, easy to make and works great.

FavorChoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FavorChoc Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 2:19pm
post #5 of 7

That sounds like a good idea, do you grease the sides of the pan, I was once told that if you grease the sides, the sides of the cake won't rise as nicely.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 11:00pm
post #6 of 7

I only grease the bottom, not the sides.

KellyAnne1284 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellyAnne1284 Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 11:11pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biya

I have made my mmf cakes as long as 4 days in advance. The fondant itself lasts for a long time. I think it would depend alot on the filling. And I would also be afraid of the cake not tasting fresh after sitting for too long. I wouldn't cover in saran it might stick to it. I use a covered cake carrier. But I know that you can put the cake in a box and then wrap the box with Saran or Foil. I like to refrigerate my cakes even when its not necessary. If your refrigerate your mmf be sure to let the condensation dry before touching it. As far as preparing my pans I use a cooking spray for baking from the grocery store. I really like parchement circles too.

I would never, ever, ever refrigerate a cake covered in MMF, or any fondant for that matter. When you take the cake out of the fridge and the condensation starts to build up under the MMF, you're just asking for a disaster...and a soggy cake.

As for making it ahead, you can...I prefer not to, but you can. I think it's 4-7 days in advance, based on preference.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%