4Th Of July

Decorating By kiki36 Updated 18 Jul 2007 , 7:15pm by kiki36

kiki36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiki36 Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 12:51am
post #1 of 7

I was asked to do a sheet cake (11x15) for the 4th of July. I saw some beautiful cakes in the galleries but the question I have is How many boxes do i need to make a cake and icing. This is my first sheet cake attempt...Pray for me icon_biggrin.gif

By the way how many cakes does this feeds?

Thanks in advance.

6 replies
miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 12:54am
post #2 of 7

This Wilton chart shows the number of servings, how much buttercream and batter are needed for different size/shape pans: http://www.wilton.com/cake/cakeprep/baking/times/party_2inch.cfm

An 11x15 cake, if made 4" high, will serve 60 people and will need 11 cups batter for each 2" layer (total 22 cups) and 8 cups of BC.

klesyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klesyd Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 2:13am
post #3 of 7

I made this size cake today. If you are using a box mix you'll need about 1 1/2 to 2 boxes for each layer. I always put the flower nail in the middle of my 11 x 15 pan too so it bakes more even. a box has about 4-5C of mix. I can't tell you exactly how much icing. I had several orders for this weekend so I made a huge batch of BC. I used probably a double batch of Wilton's BC recipe, but my cake had several large roses on it. Hope this helps.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 2:29am
post #4 of 7

I have this size pan and I use 2 boxes with extender recipes in each...it'll feed about 50 to 60, depending on how ya cut it. Wilton's chart are really small pieces...I figure on 50 servings....my cakes are just so darn yummy...lol.....icon_wink.gif
(everyone wants seconds)
(toot toot)
icon_biggrin.gif

AmyCakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyCakes2 Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 2:30am
post #5 of 7

I use 2 boxes of cake mix for a single layer 11x15. When it cools, I use a serrated knife to cut off the top, then flip it onto my board. To ice and decorate, I make 2 batches of icing. My single batch of icing uses 1 - 2lb bag of powered sugar (it's actually a double batch, but I rarely make a single anymore!).
HTH!!!

kiki36 Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 3:28pm
post #6 of 7

Thank Yall so much icon_lol.gif and hopfully they ask me for seconds so I can too too also icon_lol.gif let you know after the 4th.

kiki36 Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 7:15pm
post #7 of 7

i want to thank you all those who responded and since then i have made 3 more cakes. I made strawberry shortcake

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%