What Would Happen If I Bake A Bundt Recipe In Reg Cake Pan?

Decorating By czyadgrl Updated 20 Aug 2006 , 9:49pm by CakeDiva73

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 1:17am
post #1 of 7

I baked a recipe that is meant to be baked in a bundt pan, in a regular cake pan?

So many recipes I think sould great are baked in bundt pans.

If I baked in regular cake pans, would the cake hold up for tiering and decorating?

Thanks!

6 replies
LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 1:50am
post #2 of 7

Sorry, I have no idea! I'm guessing the recipe must be dense and the bundt pan takes away the middle that might never cook before the outside edges are done. Perhaps if you used a heating core it could be baked in a regular pan.

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 1:59am
post #3 of 7

I'm not sure about every recipe, but I do know that the mint chocolate cream cheese pound cake recipe from Chocolate From The Cake Mix Doctor is meant for a bundt pan, and I bake it in a regular pan. I just watch it for doneness like I would a regular cake, and either frost it normally or use it for sculpture. I use a 72% dark chocolate pistole instead of the Andes mints in the recipe. YUM!

Deanna

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 1:03pm
post #4 of 7

anyone else?

swoboda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swoboda Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 8:59pm
post #5 of 7

If you have the book Cake Mix Doctor, check page 405.

If not, it basically says all pans are interchangeable just switch up the baking times.
"layers bake most quickly, followed by the 9x13 " sheet pan, followed bu bundts & tubes. Pay close attention to your cake and look for light browning, the centre that springs back when lightly pressed, and edges that start to pull away fromt he sides of the pan - all signs of doneness.
for a 9 " cake layer plan on 27-32 mins.
for a 9X13 " pan plan on 30-45 mins
for 12 cup bundts or 10 inch tubes plan on 40-55 mins."

HTH!

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 9:42pm
post #6 of 7

i dont see why you couldnt interchange the pans. as stated before the bake time would be different.

i bake a muffin recipe i have in 2 9 in layers and it bakes up quite fine. icon_smile.gif just do an experiment and see. post your results if you do it.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 9:49pm
post #7 of 7

I have many recipes meant for a bundt pan in a regular one... I simply watch the time a bit more carefully and have never had a problem.

I use my Great Grandmother's pound cake as a standard butter cake and it is nice and firm with a moist crumb. The chocolate one I use (A Dr'd recipe meant to be baked in a bundt) comes out a bit too dense so I mix that recipe with a basic choc. cake and it is the perfect combination.... moist but sturdy and not too dense...

My Grandma would hit me with her cane icon_cry.gif if I tried to use any other cake pan then specified and would never allow me to change or double recipes....she was the HARDEST baking teacher but the best too! Even now she never deviates from the directions and measures everything icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%