Icing Sculptor Set

Decorating By LynnVC Updated 20 Aug 2006 , 12:15pm by LynnVC

LynnVC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LynnVC Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 4:12pm
post #1 of 13

I was so excited to buy this set and try it out. I tried it on my chocolate buttercream covered cake (and I made it thick like it suggests) and it turned out horrible. Any tips for success?

12 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 4:24pm
post #2 of 13

The only tip I have is to search the forums for product reviews before buying anything - I have read so many bad reviews of this product - everyone who has one seems to hate it and think it's useless icon_eek.gificon_sad.gif ! So sorry to be the bearer of bad news! I'd get myself a nice icing/putty comb instead. Return it to the store!

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 4:58pm
post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovibabe

The only tip I have is to search the forums for product reviews before buying anything - I have read so many bad reviews of this product - everyone who has one seems to hate it and think it's useless icon_eek.gificon_sad.gif ! So sorry to be the bearer of bad news! I'd get myself a nice icing/putty comb instead. Return it to the store!

Hi!
Is there a separate section on CC for product reviews? Or are they embedded in the individual threads? Thanks for the tip!

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 13

i have also bought the icing sculpter but have not used it yet. when i do i will post. but i think you should try it again using less icing. see what happens then.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 7:10pm
post #5 of 13

Check the thread for most unused tool, I lost count of how many times the icing sculptor came up!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-5823-useless.html+tool

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 7:17pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnVC

I was so excited to buy this set and try it out. I tried it on my chocolate buttercream covered cake (and I made it thick like it suggests) and it turned out horrible. Any tips for success?

yes! Take it back!

Worthless tool!!!

SheilaF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheilaF Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 12:54am
post #7 of 13

I was not impressed with it either.

sprgirl1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sprgirl1978 Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 2:49am
post #8 of 13

Wow, and I thought it looked so cool when I saw it in the CC store! Good thing I read this topic first! Thank you for the heads-up!

cupcake55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake55 Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 2:59am
post #9 of 13

Unfortunately, I had mine for a while before I tried it so I can't take it back. I think it is worthless, too. I am stuck with it so I may try to figure out another way to use it. Take it back, if you can.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 4:22am
post #10 of 13

If the comb pieces are loose or fall out you can put some paper towel in the clip before you close it up and that will help tighten them up and hold them in place.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 11:19am
post #11 of 13

My problem is the combs just tear up the icing. I have tried spraying it with hot water first, putting shortening on the comb, all kinds of things. I have the same problem with the other plastic comb Wilton makes. Id like to find out what the pros use! I like the look on sheet cakes and such.

jackie64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackie64 Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 11:50am
post #12 of 13

Unfortunately I bought mine without checking here first and when I read all the reveiws about it well I never have even used it. icon_redface.gif

LynnVC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LynnVC Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 12:15pm
post #13 of 13

I was kind of figuring that the general consensus was going to be that it stinks. Thanks - I will try to return it!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%