Grooms Cake Questions...please Help!

Decorating By steffla Updated 1 Jul 2007 , 3:04am by briannastreats

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 2:20pm
post #1 of 12

Hi everyone! I just received a message inquiring for me to do a grooms cake and this will be my first grooms cake. ( They are really not popular around here so I think this could be a great opportunity to get this trend going and create lots of new business!!!)

It will be a large wedding and I will be in attendance so I think it is a great opportunity for me but I was wondering how big a grooms cake should be. Is it supossed to be proportionate to the wedding cake or how do you calculate how many servings is appropriate? Does it need to feed a certain percentage of the expected guest count?

I know it is to be a hockey themed cake so I have some great ideas and cant wait to plan this cake...only problem is I am six weeks pregnant and starting to not feel well. In my past pregnancies I have gotten very sick and this wedding is for Aug 4! I dont know if I should tell her but I dont want her to feel I am unsure about the cake. AAAAAAAHHHH sorry this is so long , thanks for helping!!

11 replies
steffla Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 2:45pm
post #2 of 12

anyone? anyone know how big the grooms cake should be???????

gismo12002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gismo12002 Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 3:48pm
post #3 of 12

BUMP! icon_smile.gif

novaalison23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
novaalison23 Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 10:39pm
post #4 of 12

Okay Ive only done one. But the main wedding cake was a 3 tier 12, 10, 8 and the grooms was a 9x13 and 9x9. Fresh fruit is something Ive heard is supposed to be in the grooms cakes. So i used fresh strawberrys dipped in chocolate like tuxes. I had more compliments on the grooms cake then the wedding cake.

Check out this site, it explains it, and has a COOL groom cake hokey style for ya to peek at. http://www.ibakecakes.com/Wedding_Cakes/Grooms_Cakes/grooms_cakes.html

While the brides cake is usually lightly colored, the grooms cake is usually a dark color (both filling and icing) in keeping with the fruitcake tradition. The groom's cake is often a chocolate cake but can also be the groom's favorite filling.

And thats all i can find. Check it out. I dont think it needs to be proportionate to the wedding cake, since its supposed to add "personality" to the wedding cake table.
Like i said ive only done one. But it was LOVED!!!

steffla Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 11:44pm
post #5 of 12

thanks so much!

CourtneysCustomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneysCustomCakes Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 12:04am
post #6 of 12

Out of all the grooms cakes I've seen They all seemed to me just a small something of interest for the groom. IE: Hat, Car, plane......

I'd love to see what you've come up with.

C birthday.gif

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 12:48am
post #7 of 12

I'm from the South where a groom's cake is as standard as the bride's cake at a wedding. The groom's cake is generally 1/2-3/4 the size of the bride's cake. Not everyone will necessarily have a piece.

A traditional groom's cake is chocolate cake with chocolate icing decorated with grapes or strawberries or both. But it can be red velvet too (here in the Alabama, red velvet is not considered a form of chocolate cake).

It can also be something that the groom is interested in, in your case, hockey. The cake is though, is always chocolate.

So you need to find out from the bride how many people are invited/expected and then go from there.

HTH!

Gretta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gretta Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 1:44am
post #8 of 12

You should get more direction from the bride or whomever is purchasing the cake from you. They may have given you free range on design but they should be able to tell you how many servings they would like to come from it. I have done a couple of groom's cakes one was just to address the groom's interest, # of servings didn't matter bc the bridal cake was large enough, the other figured into the number of servings to help cover the # of guests. HTH

steffla Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 1:43am
post #9 of 12

thank you all for the help! I spoke to the bride and she said the number of servings didnt matter but wants something spectacular and hockey themed for her groom. I would like to do a hockey duffle bag with hockey accessories but I am not sure that the chocolate cake is good and sturdy for carving a 3d cake. Do you have any reliable chocolate recipes that can stand up to carving or should I just do without the chocolate. Bride says he would prefer chocolate but she didnt care if I needed to do another kind to make the right cake....????

TxAgGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TxAgGirl Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 2:41am
post #10 of 12

I'm in Texas, and the groom's cake is always chocolate here, too. Seems that it's polite to have a slice of the bride's cake, but what most people want is the chocolate of the groom's!

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the groom's cake should be about 3/4 the size of the bride's.

midgit1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midgit1205 Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 2:48am
post #11 of 12

Here in MT, the grooms cake is either a 1/2 sheet or full sheet cake and is almost always chocolate - unless otherwise specified. We are pretty simple folks around here.

HTH

Janeil

briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 3:04am
post #12 of 12

I just did a groom's cake for a wedding today. Instead of doing all chocolcate, the bride asked me to layer chocolate and french vanilla (the same flavors of the wedding cake... seperate tiers though). It looked really neat when cut, and a lot of people took a piece of the groom's cake because then they got both flavors. Size-wise, I did a 13x19 double layer. The bride and I combined the amoung of servings for both the groom's cake and the bride's to match the total number of wedding guests (she didn't want a HUGE cake).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%