Want A Projector? Don't Think You Can Afford One....

Decorating By gmcakes Updated 4 Sep 2006 , 3:34am by Jasra

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 2:22pm
post #1 of 56

Hi, Everyone!

I have been wanting a projector for a very long time, but I just couldn't see spending the money on something I wasn't sure I could use. Well, on one of my recent trips to Hobby Lobby I was browsing and found a cheap projector.

It is a "PROJECTA SCOPE", and they only cost $19.99 (best part was I had a 40% off any one regular priced item internet coupon in hand! Only paid about $13) On the side of the box it shows a picture of a projector stand that is made for this projector. My HL didn't carry one, but there was a phone # that I called as soon as I got home, and ordered the stand! The stand with shipping was only $27, and arrived at my house in 4 days (shipped from CA to TX!)

I finally got a chance to use it last night! ...and it works great! If you are just starting out, or simply do not want to part with the funds, it is a great investment! Plus you can also use the projector to do wall murals and such in your kids room! Really neat item to have, wish I had bought one sooner!

These are the first 2 cakes I made using the projector:
LL
LL

55 replies
cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 2:26pm
post #2 of 56

Very cool great to know that thanks .... I didn't want to spend alot on a projector either but will look into this.

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 2:26pm
post #3 of 56

Does the stand allow the projector to project down onto the top of the cake? The lesser expensive projectors that I have seen are made for wall murals, etc . . . so they project out and I can't figure out how to suspend them so that they would project down on to the top of a cake.

Your cakes look amazing . . . did you paint the images with buttercream?

mabailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mabailey Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 2:29pm
post #4 of 56

HOW COOL IS THAT???? VERY COOL!! I can't wait until tomorrow to see if HL has the 40% off coupon for next week. I sure used the heck out of the 50% off coupon this week at HL on Wilton stuff...I LOVE WHEN THEY DO THAT.
Thanks for the info on the projector...I have been wanting one for a looooooong time. >^.,.^<

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 2:29pm
post #5 of 56

Oh I'm glad to hear this because I seen that in AC Moore and I didn't buy it because it was tabletop and I didn't know how I could transfer patterns or pics unless someone was holding it for me. I didn't notice either about the stand. Thanks for the information because now I will buy one with my coupon! This makes me happy since I can't afford a professional one! YAY!

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 2:37pm
post #6 of 56

I saw that in HL and I liked it but couldn't figure how to use it for cakes. Would you mind posting a pic of it with the stand so I can see how it works? Pretty please!!??!! This is great info, thanks for sharing. I just don't have the $$ for a Kopykake.

gmcakes Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 2:56pm
post #7 of 56

Yes, the projector focuses the image down on to the cake top! (and...no, I don't have the $$$$ for a kopykake either!)

This is the scanned image from the box showing the projector with the stand attached! HTH!
LL

gmcakes Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 3:01pm
post #8 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckkerber

Your cakes look amazing . . . did you paint the images with buttercream?

Sorry, just noticed this! No, they are not painted, they are airbrushed! A word of caution to anyone trying to fill in a design using an airbrush, though! Make sure you know your brush very well, and use a light touch. If the outline is not firmly in place the airbrush will blow your lines out of place, and it is very easy to get overspray in the wrong areas!

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 3:01pm
post #9 of 56

OOOHHHH THAT IS SOOOO COOL!!! Thank you, thank you! I'm getting a projector (picture my happy dance here)! icon_biggrin.gif

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 3:23pm
post #10 of 56

Can you explain how you insert the image into the projector and what size image you can use? Can you just copy a picture, insert it and use it?

gmcakes Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 3:23pm
post #11 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenette

OOOHHHH THAT IS SOOOO COOL!!! Thank you, thank you! I'm getting a projector (picture my happy dance here)! icon_biggrin.gif

I can see you dancing!!!! You should have seen me last night when I figured out this was actually gonna work! I had 3 cakes to do, and didn't get started until late! It was after 11pm when I finally set it up to draw on the cakes. (Took me about 5 minutes to get it set just right! But then, it was like: "YESSSSSS!") The Dora cake only took about 5 or 6 minutes to draw the design, the tractor took a little longer!

I am going to get me a magnet to hold my pictures in place though...the stand has a door and it held the pictures in place fairly well with tension, but I think a magnet will do a better job!

MeloMiMi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeloMiMi Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 3:37pm
post #12 of 56

Your cakes look awesome. Thanks for sharing the information.

goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 3:41pm
post #13 of 56

Cooool......

1. What size picture do you put in the projector?

2. Does the stand come with the metal arm and the table?

Oh yeah....wanna share...went on the Price is Right yesterday with my daughter, fiance, my brother and his friend and our theme was wedding party. They asked us in the interview what we do and my daughter thinks I got picked beacause I said my day job but added that I was a cake decorating instructor!!!! No car but some nice consulation prizes and great memories for all....

gmcakes Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 4:30pm
post #14 of 56

The picture size is about 3x3". for the Dora cake I used a "Valentine" I saved from last year and for the John Deere I had to edit the image size down with my scanner.

The stand only includes the metal arm and has a clamp to attach to a table or counter top. It feels fairly secure when in use, but I do not plan on leaving mine set up all the time. I happen to have a table that is against a wall and I attached to the wall edge. When not in use I simply position the arm, with the projector removed, in a straight up position (up against the wall). To use I just have to slide the projector into it's place and screw down at the attach point. Then you just have to adjust the arm for focus. Took me a minute to find the "sweet spot" but then it worked great! The image for the tractor was crystal clear.

I'm sure it is not quite as simple as a true cake projector, but another reason I have not purchased one of those is space! I just don't have anywhere to put one when not in use!

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 6:25pm
post #15 of 56

A year or more ago I purchased one of these projectors and the arm to hold it, but I could never get it to make the image small enough to work with it on a cake, so I eventually bought a full-size projector.

The cakes you made look great, wish I could have done some work like that. My Projectascope is still in the box around here somewhere, along with the arm! A few dollars wasted for me. Janice

gmcakes Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 6:37pm
post #16 of 56

To get the image smaller, you bring the prjector closer to the surface, and then you have to adjust the focus.

I'm sorry you had such trouble with yours Janice! I hope no one else has the same problem as you did, if they decide to get one. I found mine relatively simple to use, and am happy with my purchase so far. I guess only time will tell how well it works. I don't plan on using mine a whole lot, so for me I believe this is the right purchase at this time.

fat-sissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fat-sissy Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 6:58pm
post #17 of 56

Thanks for sharing! I never would've thought of that. I'd REALLY like to have one!

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 7:03pm
post #18 of 56
gmcakes Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 3:17am
post #19 of 56

Sorry, I've been gone all afternoon, just checking back in! Yes, that link has a projector that lookss like mine. The only difference is the outer case on mine is white, other than that looks like it is exactly the same projector!

deedee44 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deedee44 Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 3:38am
post #20 of 56

Hello everyone,

?'s.
1. Do you ice and smooth the cake first?
2. Do you have to airbrush?
3. Can you use buttercream and star the cake with a 16, 18 star tip etc.....?

Thanks

Deedee44

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 3:57am
post #21 of 56

You did a great job on those cakes!

gmcakes Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 4:42am
post #22 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedee44

Hello everyone,

?'s.
1. Do you ice and smooth the cake first?
2. Do you have to airbrush?
3. Can you use buttercream and star the cake with a 16, 18 star tip etc.....?

Thanks

Deedee44

Answers.
1. Yes, Ice and Smooth the cake before you start!

2. No, you do not have to use an airbrush! You could also do the base icing in a color if you do not want a white background!

3. Yes, by all means you can use the star tip and fill in the design. I used to work at a bakery, where sometimes we even filled in the design with colored piping gels. You can fill in the design anyway you want! I just happened to airbrush these because of time constraints and I liked the way it looks!

HTH!
glenda thumbs_up.gif

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 5:10am
post #23 of 56

thanks gmcakes. i always wanted a projector but the kopy kakes one was too much. i did a search on ebay and found some.

deedee44 Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 5:15am
post #24 of 56

Glenda (gmcakes)
Thanks for the answers. They're a lots of help. Looks like I'm going to invest in a projector.

Now all I need is a 40% coupon from Hobb Lobby so that I can get the projecta score someone mentioned earlier and then I'll be ready to go.

Again, thanks and I appreciate the quick response.

Deedee44

deedee44 Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 5:26am
post #25 of 56

Hello All,

Just checked and Hobby Lobby has a 40% off coupon for one regular item.

I'm so there afterwork Monday. Projecta here I come. thumbs_up.gif

Deedee44

CarolinaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolinaBelle Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 11:50am
post #26 of 56

Thank you for posting the information about the projector.

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 4:55pm
post #27 of 56

Thanks for the link. Your cakes are super-duper. Is the stand bought separate and is it on the same site? thanks

peajay66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peajay66 Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 5:03pm
post #28 of 56

Which section of Hobby Lobby is it located? The Art section?

TIA!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 5:09pm
post #29 of 56

Michaels carrys them too and they also have a 40% off coupon today. I bought one a few months ago and am going to order the stand so I can use it on cakes. The only drawback is you have to use it in a dark room.

gmcakes Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 5:28pm
post #30 of 56

Yes, you do have to use it in a dark room. But, I find that I decorate mostly in the evenings now, so that is not a problem, for me at least. It however, does not need to be completely dark!

The bulb is purchased seperately, it takes a 75w bulb, and I made sure to purchase a clear bulb isnstead of a soft white. It allows more light to be reflected off of the interior surface. I just tried mine out (daylight here now). I have no problem seeing the image in normal day light, without the room lights on. But it will be easier to see the darker you can have the area you are working in.

I used to work in a bakery, and have had the privelege of working on/with a high end Kopykake projector. And even with that projector I found that I prefer to have a dark room to work with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%