Why Would You Ever Use Shortening ?

Baking By snarkybaker Updated 20 Aug 2006 , 11:47am by m0use

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 5:01am
post #1 of 13

I have never made icing with shortening, only butter. I usually make either swiss buttercream or an egg yolk enforced buttercream.

Do you use shortening and then add artificial butter flavor for cost reasons, or does the shortening have properties that make better icing ?

12 replies
texaskitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texaskitty Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 5:05am
post #2 of 13

I use all shortening buttercream and add butter flavor.

One of the good properties of using shortening is that it does not need to be refrigerated. It also crusts nicely.

Ksue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ksue Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 5:07am
post #3 of 13

I don't like to do it, but I use half-and-half shortening and butter during the summer when the heat and humidity are so high. If I don't, my normally all-butter BC melts right off the cake, even inside an air-conditioned house.

Tinarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinarie Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 5:16am
post #4 of 13

ksue... If you don't mind me asking what's your buttercream recipe using half and half?

Ksue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ksue Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 5:56am
post #5 of 13

Sorry Tinarie ... I meant half shortening and half butter.

Although -- I have used half-and-half instead of the milk or water in BC before (and I sometimes use cream, for that matter), and it definintely makes it richer and yummier.

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 6:05am
post #6 of 13

Since we're on the subject of frostings, I have a question Y'all might be able to answer:

Do any of the cooked (flour with milk and boiled) icings, or whipped icings crust over like the shortening buttercreams do? Can you pipe with those icings as well?

I've only used the buttercreams to decorate with, and I've used a couple of the whipped as fillings, but that's it.

--Knox--

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 9:50pm
post #7 of 13

Have to say I don't refrigerate all-butter buttercream. I'm not sure why people do. you can leave butter out of the fridge.

jackfrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackfrost Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 1:46am
post #8 of 13

icon_smile.gif The first and only cake decorating class I took taught us to use powdered sugar, crisco, flavoring and water. It is the only icing I have ever used for making flowers and other decorations. That was the only class until recently and I am taking a gum paste class. I have learned so many great things since joining this site, can't wait to try buttercream. thumbs_up.gif

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 1:58am
post #9 of 13

I use shortening because it makes a very white icing AND it keeps a very very long time and I don't have to worry if it isn't refrigerated. (I don't use milk either for the same last two reasons.)

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 2:31am
post #10 of 13

I'm also a shortening person .... and not just any shortening ... Crisco only! (I told my Sysco sales person that I would not be using their shortening again ..... it not only didnt' meet our standards for the icing, but left an aftertaste in my cookies!) Butter has a much lower melting point than shortening, so I'm shortening only and I've never had icing melt-down in over 20 years. The only flavoring I use is pure clear vanilla. (unless the bride wants ivory icing, then I use the cheap brown stuff to get the color right). icon_biggrin.gif

Tinarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinarie Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 3:03am
post #11 of 13

Did anyone see the FoodNetwork's Ina garten (Barefoot Contessa)? She made a hot pink birthday cake and her buttercream icing was half shortening and half butter. Interesting. It looked yummy! It was on Friday I think.

tammiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammiemarie Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 3:16am
post #12 of 13

I use a mix, depending on the event. If I have to make it the day before, or if it's too big to fit in my fridge, I use all crisco. I prefer the buttercream dream recipe on this site, it seems to work the best for me.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 11:47am
post #13 of 13

I use shortening for the stability factor. I also use a part shortening part butter recipe. I used to use an all shortening recipe but found it much too sweet, so I use this recipe now: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1602-ButterCream-Icing-for-Frozen-Transfers.html
It gets rave reviews all the time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%