Confused About Powdered Colors Vs. Gel/paste...

Decorating By CakeDiva73 Updated 19 Aug 2006 , 6:56pm by kjgjam22

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 1:20am
post #1 of 2

I have black powder color for icing/candy that I got at the cake decorating store and now I am wondering if I got the right thing? I got these because I thought they were more concentrated then the get/paste colors.... therefore they were better. Now I am baffled. I see that everyone recommends Americolor Super Red & Black for those colors and I have a nightmare of a time mixing...

So I have a couple questions....can I use my powdered colors on icing or fondant? Can I use them to color dried fondant flowers, etc... and is there anywhere we can see how to get certain colors when we mix?

I watched the FoodNetwork challenge a while back and the girl was mixing fondant (blue hands and all!) and the guy said something about never achieveing purple by using violet...or something. And I was baffled because I would assume if you use enough violet, you would get purple. Anyway, he said it would only get blue.... anyone have a good site/tips or item that will help me? I am forever trying to get a nice pink and always end up with electric/funky pink or weird coral...

1 reply
kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 6:56pm
post #2 of 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

I have black powder color for icing/candy that I got at the cake decorating store and now I am wondering if I got the right thing? I got these because I thought they were more concentrated then the get/paste colors.... therefore they were better. Now I am baffled. I see that everyone recommends Americolor Super Red & Black for those colors and I have a nightmare of a time mixing...

So I have a couple questions....can I use my powdered colors on icing or fondant? Can I use them to color dried fondant flowers, etc... and is there anywhere we can see how to get certain colors when we mix?

I watched the FoodNetwork challenge a while back and the girl was mixing fondant (blue hands and all!) and the guy said something about never achieveing purple by using violet...or something. And I was baffled because I would assume if you use enough violet, you would get purple. Anyway, he said it would only get blue.... anyone have a good site/tips or item that will help me? I am forever trying to get a nice pink and always end up with electric/funky pink or weird coral...

ok first thing....DO NOT waste your powder colours to colour fondant or gumpaste.

Pastes are fine. wilton red and black just taste bitter if you use too much. Thats y a lot of people like the americolor. No taste change.

Thats what I can help with. I hope I helped.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%