Luster Dust On Buttercream

Decorating By charman Updated 17 Jun 2005 , 2:13pm by Kitagrl

charman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charman Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 2:44pm
post #1 of 7

Thanks to good advise from the ladies on this forum I had decided to do air-dryed buttercream roses for a cake. I had planned on brushing the edges with gold luster duster. I have since been told I can't do that on buttercream roses. Said I would need to mix the luster dust with a clear alcohol base first (because it would try faster--I was just going to use clear vanilla), and that even air-dryed the roses would be able to take it. Has anyone else had any experience with this? I really wanted to do BC instead of Royal, but no way am I going to do all those roses on the spot, plus I wanted to gold brush tip them. Help! icon_sad.gif

6 replies
letseatcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letseatcake Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 2:52pm
post #2 of 7

Yes. I've done that plenty of time. Just make sure the buttercream is crusted and the luster dust mixture isn't to thick.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 1:12pm
post #3 of 7

Lemon extract has a much higher alcohol content than vanilla so will dry faster....I just found that out. icon_lol.gif I compared and lemon has like 84% alcohol and vanilla only has like 38% or something.

Wandootie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wandootie Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 1:37pm
post #4 of 7

Can the roses be eaten? I've read here before that the luster dust is toxic. Are there any dusts that are not?

Wandootie

Kitagrl Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 1:50pm
post #5 of 7

Certain ones are toxic but most are non toxic...not FDA approved but non toxic to eat.

charman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charman Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 1:58pm
post #6 of 7

When you say lemon extract...am I safe to assume the kind you buy that is just like vanilla extract? the flavoring you would put in a cake...not the real lemon juice stuff, correct? Hope that question doesn't come out sounding too dumb.

Kitagrl Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 2:13pm
post #7 of 7

Right its where you find vanilla in the spice aisle...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%