Ri Not Drying Then Looks Like Powder!!

Baking By Jennifer9800 Updated 29 Jun 2007 , 12:10pm by sweetcakes

Jennifer9800 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer9800 Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 4:13am
post #1 of 8

My RI recipe i used the last time is HORRIBLE. I have no idea why it's soo different. It isn't drying very fast at all like last time and it is drying with a sort of powdery look to it!! What did i do wrong!!?? It's 12 am and my friend needs these by tom. night!!! HELP CAKE CENTRAL EINSTEINS!!

7 replies
susanscakebabies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakebabies Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 4:23am
post #2 of 8

Never heard of that. I would personally ditch that batch and try a new one. Sounds like something went terribly wrong with it. I wish I could offer more. But you may find out what you did if you make another batch. Sometimes that is how I figure that stuff out.
What recipe did you use?

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 4:25am
post #3 of 8

Maybe you didn't beat it long enough. did you beat it for 7-10 min?

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 4:26am
post #4 of 8

Me again beat on low with paddle not whisk

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 4:29am
post #5 of 8

There may be a chance that you got some type of fat in the batch. Any amount of fat will mess up the icing. Any type I work with RI I wipe all utensils with a solution of 1/2 vinegar, 1/2 water. Any tips that I use I just drop them in the solution, then take them out and dry before putting in the piping bag. I also have a special set of plastic containers that I labeled 'royal', which I only put RI in. HTH. Good luck.

Jennifer9800 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer9800 Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 4:41am
post #6 of 8

I used the recipe from copper canyon..a cookie cutter company where u can order custom cutters. They have their own cookie and icing recipe they suggest. These cookies are for a friend who caters and I'm just decorating them for her. I did these same cookies for her last time but the icing now is ..well..not so good for some reason. Well, keep the ideas coming!! I'm soo sleepy I'd love to just get them done, sounds like another all nighter. At least i'll be up to get your ideas on the topic!! Any good recipes for RI?

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 11:52am
post #7 of 8

by powdery do you mean after they are dry its like they are crumbling?? I have had that happen once to me, and this is what i figure out to be my problem, i over beat the mixture adding too much air to it, then when the humidity hit the flowers i made they acted like a sponge and started soaking up the moisture. They really just turned to dust when you touched them.

I agree start over with a new batch of icing.

This is the recipe i use
4 tablespoons meringue powder
5 to 6 tablespoons water
1 pound powdered sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 12:10pm
post #8 of 8

old royal icing will do that, not dry hard but will set up like normal, but the designs just crumble. just passed its prime i would say, make some fresh and all will be good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%