How Do You Handle Cheap Mother-N-Law?

Decorating By klesyd Updated 2 Jul 2007 , 11:48pm by PJ37

klesyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klesyd Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 2:03am
post #1 of 28

I was recently ask to do three cakes for my husbands family reunion. My mother-n-law insisted she would pay me to do them. Well, thanks for paying, I'm thinking, It is my business you know. So i agreed to do these cakes for her. She came by to pay me for the cakes, asked me how many mixes I used and gave me $3.00. icon_mad.gif Remember she insited she pay for them. Had I know she meant for only a portion of the box mixes I probably would have been suddenly too busy! I did not want to make friction so I just smiled. What do you say after you are given only $3.00 for cakes that you would have charged $60+ for...when it's family?

27 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 2:15am
post #2 of 28

Unfortunately, there's not a lot to do about it now, especially as she is an in-law and these situations can be full of land mines. But in the future, I would either 1) be booked, or 2) tell her the cost up front and say you can't do it for less, or 3) tell her the cake is your gift (hey, she wasn't going to pay anyway, and it makes you look like a saint for the rest of the family). icon_biggrin.gif

Ohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohara Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 3:07am
post #3 of 28

kelleym wrote

Quote:
Quote:

) tell her the cake is your gift (hey, she wasn't going to pay anyway, and it makes you look like a saint for the rest of the family).

Very true.....Family reunion cake $3.00.....looking like a saint.. priceless. icon_lol.gif

Sorry, I know your upset. People just don't get how much goes into a good cake, money, time, and most of all talent. Hang in there.

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 3:12am
post #4 of 28

I haven't got any advice, I just have to say - I'm so glad I live 3000 miles from my in-laws.

Rachel

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 3:23am
post #5 of 28

OH MY GOODNESS! I just about hit the floor. Did that $3.00 even cover the gas from the store and back?

CherryBomb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherryBomb Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 3:38am
post #6 of 28

Mother-in-law is the most vile of dirty words in my house. I finally decided to put my foot down and not put up with her crap anymore. Guess what it got me: a self-help book for Christmas. Ack!!!

klesyd Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 3:02pm
post #7 of 28

Thanks everyone. My mother-n-law lives right next door. We live on a farm, 82 acres, so she isnt as close as a house in town, but within yelling distance. She tries not to be like "everybody loves Raymond's mom" (her words). But I will think twice next timebefore doing a cake. I did a cake for her sister last weekend. A cake I would have chareged $70 for but only charged her $45. She ended up giving me $60 cash. They are totally different people.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 10:46pm
post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohara

kelleym wrote
Quote:
Quote:

) tell her the cake is your gift (hey, she wasn't going to pay anyway, and it makes you look like a saint for the rest of the family).

Very true.....Family reunion cake $3.00.....looking like a saint.. priceless. icon_lol.gif

Sorry, I know your upset. People just don't get how much goes into a good cake, money, time, and most of all talent. Hang in there.

Unbelievable. icon_mad.gificon_twisted.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Give your MIL the $3.00 back and be a hero at the family reunion. thumbs_up.gificon_cool.gificon_biggrin.gif

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 10:28pm
post #9 of 28

I have read some pretty ridiculous things, but I just can't believe that she actually gave you $3. I am now speechless. icon_surprised.gif

LauraS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LauraS Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 10:44pm
post #10 of 28

I would give her the three dollars back at the family reunion , in front of everyone and say how this was your gift to the family.

ok in a fantasy i would do that, discreetly give her the money back and let it be your gift. not worth the insult.

barbaranoel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbaranoel Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 10:45pm
post #11 of 28

My family is greatly aware of how much I charge for cakes. My MIL is pretty good about paying me for cakes.

Barb

lilmisscantbewrg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmisscantbewrg Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 10:49pm
post #12 of 28

Ever heard of that movie "Throw Momma From The Train"??? Wish I lived near one!!! Sorry to hear about your MIL -how RUDE! Could've been like mine a week ago -I made a two tiered 8 & 10 inch squares, all bc with mmf accents- stars all over and the kid's name and age in mmf on wires. ALL for free. Wanna know what she said..

"Oh, you should really find out what kind of mix Publix uses because they're just wonderful!" GRRRR icon_mad.gif

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 10:49pm
post #13 of 28

klesyd wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

What do you say after you are given only $3.00 for cakes that you would have charged $60+ for...when it's family?

My humble two cents - - - Lesson learned and you don't say anything to anyone including your husband, but the next time you are asked you are just too busy to make anything!

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 10:51pm
post #14 of 28

I have to say that that is pretty ridiculous... i have learnt by my inlaws... that i only hear from them when they want a cake so i now charge them and especially when the MIL says every family has someone they can get the old cheapies from and says quite straight that you are ours with your cakes. so hence i now charge unless it is a special bday ie a nephew/niece turns 1 or 5 or 10 etc... otherwise icharge and for the courier to get it to them... i know they wouldnt do things for free so i not gonna be any different... keep your chin up and remember this incident when you get asked in the future.

MamaBerry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaBerry Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 11:02pm
post #15 of 28

Okay, instead of jumpin' on the MIl's are horrible bandwagon. (I have a personal story of my 1st mil that would and has topped everyones).

What era was your mil raised in? Seriously. Some of the most cheapest/frugal folks I've met grew up during the depression age.

Where's your MIL mentally comin' from?

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 1:06am
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBerry

Okay, instead of jumpin' on the MIl's are horrible bandwagon. (I have a personal story of my 1st mil that would and has topped everyones).

What era was your mil raised in? Seriously. Some of the most cheapest/frugal folks I've met grew up during the depression age.

Where's your MIL mentally comin' from?

Ok, let's hear your 1st MIL story. I'm curious. My MIL just requested a carrot cake for my FIL's birthday. I would never dream of charging them one penny, because they are so good to me and the kids. Whenever I need them, they are right there. I usually don't even have to ask. They survived the depression age and yes they are very frugal.

MamaBerry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaBerry Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 1:41am
post #17 of 28

Ok, I'll keep it short and sweet.

Remember the movie/book Misery by Stephen King? She was exactly like that- exactly minus the breaking the ankles. Her son was abusive and it had to come from somewhere. I'll give you one guess where he learned half of it from.

My home life with my ex-husband was exactly like Ike and Tina minus the money or fame.

So when it comes to MIL being a snot about cash for cakes I am fine with that type of annoyance.

By the way, my new MIL is a doll and my family loves her and so do I. icon_biggrin.gif

klesyd Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 1:31pm
post #18 of 28

Okay, I did give the money back to her and told her I was glad to do it for her with, of course, a big smile on my face. She was pleased. In the mean time I had made up this nice brochure with the cakes I made and my prices. Just like a real business would. I told her if anyone asked about pricing then I would have something to give them. She thought it was very nice. So now I won't feel bad about telling her a price for the next cake. She knows ahead of time what it should be anyway.

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 1:43pm
post #19 of 28

that is down right blatant disrespect....3 dollars cant even cover your little finger worth of time. please...whats 3 dollars going to buy....a pack of pens maybe....oh please ...give me a break....

i agree with another member...give it as a gift and be done with it.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 2:04pm
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBomb

Mother-in-law is the most vile of dirty words in my house. I finally decided to put my foot down and not put up with her crap anymore. Guess what it got me: a self-help book for Christmas. Ack!!!

...lol...lol...lol...sooooo funny!!!!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

LauraS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LauraS Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 3:01pm
post #21 of 28

CherryBomb wrote:

Oohh that would make me so mad, fine want to give me a book, here is one for you Miss manners etiquette book. I had an exs mother give me a weight watchers cook book for Christmas one year and it was not because I like to cook, Books are the throw down in our family a gentle yet to in your face of getting our point across. Very dysfunction yes, I know.

Ohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohara Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 6:08pm
post #22 of 28

klesyd wrote

Quote:
Quote:

Okay, I did give the money back to her and told her I was glad to do it for her with, of course, a big smile on my face. She was pleased. In the mean time I had made up this nice brochure with the cakes I made and my prices. Just like a real business would. I told her if anyone asked about pricing then I would have something to give them. She thought it was very nice. So now I won't feel bad about telling her a price for the next cake. She knows ahead of time what it should be anyway.

You did great thumbs_up.gif . Good idea making the brochure. Easy way of letting family know your prices.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 6:22pm
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by klesyd

Perfectly handled. thumbs_up.gif

klesyd Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 5:05pm
post #24 of 28

Well here is an update. My MIL called this morning to see if I needed anything from the store, she was going and since we live in the country thought shed ask. Yes, I needed eggs for cakes and milk, etc. When she dropped it off and I asked how much I owed her she said, "nothing you did those cakes for me so this is a favor I can do for you." Okay so I am feeling a little bad that I had to vent about her. I really appreciated her going to the store so I did not have to haul my kids there. One favor for another I guess. Things are looking up.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 5:50pm
post #25 of 28

I have fantastic in-laws, though my MIL is definitely the type who expects a bargain! She told me she'd put up the money for me to have my own cake decorating business, but I know she has no idea what that would cost her. Appreciate your MIL for her good qualities, and try to overlook the bad. It makes life so-o-o much more pleasant.

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 7:17pm
post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by klesyd

Well here is an update. My MIL called this morning to see if I needed anything from the store, she was going and since we live in the country thought shed ask. Yes, I needed eggs for cakes and milk, etc. When she dropped it off and I asked how much I owed her she said, "nothing you did those cakes for me so this is a favor I can do for you." Okay so I am feeling a little bad that I had to vent about her. I really appreciated her going to the store so I did not have to haul my kids there. One favor for another I guess. Things are looking up.

No need to feel bad at all. You needed to vent and who better to than your cc friends. Who won't begrudge you and it keeps you from wanting to be nasty and sarcastic about it. Plus we won't hold it against you. This allowed you to be gracious and you decided to just do it as a gift and the gift was returned to you.

Judi

klesyd Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 11:27pm
post #27 of 28

No need to feel bad at all. You needed to vent and who better to than your cc friends. Who won't begrudge you and it keeps you from wanting to be nasty and sarcastic about it. Plus we won't hold it against you. This allowed you to be gracious and you decided to just do it as a gift and the gift was returned to you.

Judi[/quote]

You are right, Thank the Lord for my CC friends. This is a place you can spill your heart without being judged. Everyone has something to say. it may not always be what you want to hear, but it is always true. Most of the time you learn a lesson from those here on CC. Thanks to all who helped. With your encouragement I did do the right thing and was rewarded for it. I love CC!

PJ37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ37 Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 11:48pm
post #28 of 28

Well done!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%