How Many Servings Do You Quote For The Various Size Cakes?

Decorating By MrsMom Updated 29 Jun 2007 , 10:48pm by leily

MrsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMom Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 11:58pm
post #1 of 10

I know there can be a large variance here. I have 2 different charts in front of me...one is Earlenes and I'm not sure what the other one is. Just in these two charts an 8" round has 15 (Earlene's) and 20 (other) wedding servings. That can add up to quite a difference.

So, how many servings on the various sizes? How big are your slices?

THANKS!!

9 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 12:04am
post #2 of 10

I use a serving size of 1x2x4 for my two layer cakes and 2x2x2 for my single layer cakes.

You will get a lot of different opinions on this because some people think cake is dessert and others think it is a meal. Whatever you decide make sure to make a note and let your customers know what size you are planning your servings at. That way if they want them larger or smaller they can adjust their order accordingly.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 12:12am
post #3 of 10

For wedding servings I used Earlene's chart. It seemed to work the best. For birthday cakes I always asked if the guests were big cake eaters or small cake eaters.

Most of the time the number varies as leily said. Her information is very good and reliable.

Michele

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 12:13am
post #4 of 10

I do the same as leily.. 1x2x4 for 2 layer cakes and 2x2 for single layer sheet cakes. I use this module for my serving chart too.. http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules/Forums/files/cake_serving_guide_219.pdf

MrsMom Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 12:17am
post #5 of 10

jkalman...yup, that's the chart I have that I was leaning toward using!

Do you do the wedding size servings (1x2x4 for double layer and 2x2x2 for single layer) for both wedding and party cakes?

FromScratch Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 12:25am
post #6 of 10

Yup. icon_smile.gif 1x2x4 really isn't a bad slice of cake.

MrsMom Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 12:35pm
post #7 of 10

I'll have to cut the 1x2x4 slices for my nieces cake next weekend to visualize! icon_smile.gif

Anyone else use a different chart?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 12:49pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarflowers

For birthday cakes I always asked if the guests were big cake eaters or small cake eaters.

It is exactly for this reason that I use one chart and stick to it. My standard reply is: If you order the 3-pc chicken strips meal at KFC, you get 3 chicken strips. They don't ask you if you are a big chicken eater or a small chicken eater. You get 3 strips ..... a serving size of KFC's determination. They are not going to throw in a couple of extra pieces because the customer is a "big chicken eater". If you want more chicken than that, then you buy (and pay for!) more chicken.

Same with cake.

I sell a pre-determined serving size, ergo my pricing is consistent. There is no confusion on why a 10" round birthday cake costs different than a 10" round wedding cake.

FromScratch Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 1:17pm
post #9 of 10

I use your rationalization too indydebi.. thanks for being such a good role model!! icon_biggrin.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 10:48pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

I use your rationalization too indydebi.. thanks for being such a good role model!! icon_biggrin.gif

If it wasn't for indydebi and my mom I never would have made it through my price list and make MY standards!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%